Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-12-2010, 06:00 PM   #19
Palmer812

Drives: 2010 Meteorite Metallic LB
You're only 800 miles from me. Let me know before you buy. I might just sell you the stuff and ship it to you. I can match any price you find online.
Palmer812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:14 PM   #20
p123456789

Drives: 07 lb jeep tj
well I figured out my problem its my head unit, I hooked up my ipod straight into the amp and it sounds AMAZING lol I can turn it up so loud without any distortion. The head unit is only 6 months old (came out of friends truck) and its a fairly high end pioneer premieer with all the adjustments you would ever need. even while playing cd's i can hear tons of feedback when I switch songs or at low volume. even at low volume I can hear alot of distortion even on local stations. any recomendations for a head unit around 200 or so? I want someting simple and easy to adjust.
p123456789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:29 PM   #21
Palmer812

What about getting the Pioneer repaired? The Premier stuff has a 2 year warranty and you said it was only 6 months old. If you do go new for around $200 I love the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X794 especially if you use your Ipod alot. I have one in my wife's xb.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:00 PM   #22
p123456789

Drives: 07 lb jeep tj
not sure if I can my friend bought it and i'd rather not hasle him.
p123456789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:19 AM   #23
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Get some subbage going on!
Old 10-13-2010, 08:42 AM   #24
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
this is a very informative thread. my issue is using my stock HU and my system set up, if volume is too loud the speakers crack and bounce around....is that my hu messing up or is that the speakers being over powered?
Old 10-13-2010, 10:14 AM   #25
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Ummm...if your speakers are bouncing around, I'd say that is problem #1 at the moment. Too much power is only really a problem if you can't control the variable potentiometer output off the digital signal platform from the media transport. Like that one? :)

The only other issue with overpowering is crossover issues on speakers. That's a whole thread in and of itself.

Something tells me though, that it's not "overpowering" that's the case here...especially from a stock source.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:47 PM   #26
TheDriver916

Drives: 2008 yaris sedan
i have a high low converter because i was trying to stay away from an aftermarket deck for the simple fact that people wont break in and try and steal it. but going from an 8 band eq that i can tune every song in perfectly for my mids and highs to.... treble.... just doesnt cut it. is there anything i can do to clean up the sound?
Old 10-14-2010, 05:05 PM   #27
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

When you say clean up the sound, what do you mean? What is the sound in your car doing (or not doing)?

You can buy an outboard eq. JBL, Alpine, Audison, Pioneer, Audio Control...they all make equipment that can assist your tuning.

I can speak for myself and possibly derick, we have 1/3rd octave control plus some nice time alignment. Your options are open still.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:52 AM   #28
Incillio1

Drives: '09 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
The gain adjustment on the amplifier raise the sensitivity of the amplifier to the incoming signal Voltage. If one has the amp's gains cranked like that, I'd be more than willing to wager that on the top end of your volume that it can get pretty noisy.

"In my opinion (and MANY will disagree), the gains should be set so that the amplifier reaches full power just as the head unit reaches maximum output. This would allow you to use the entire range of the volume control (assuming that the head unit doesn't clip at full volume) and still get full power out of the amplifier. If you're an audiophile who likes listening to a flat response AND you have a speaker system that produces a flat response AND are listening to music that's properly recorded AND you've purchased the right amplifier, setting the gains like this will prevent clipping (again, assuming that the head unit doesn't clip at full volume). If you're into quality over quantity, this is (IMO) the best setup." -BCAE1.com

Aside from that side issue, the amplifiers load on your alternator is minimal DEPENDING on how hard you're railing on the volume. Our OEM alternators aren't particularly beefy. They are decent quality though. If loading your alternator down makes you nervous, consider my situation. I'm running three Audison LRx amplifiers off my alternator. I still have a good 14.3 Volts on startup and hover at 13.8 to 14 Volts driving to and from work. There are times when I have dipped the running Voltage down to 12.9. That was at idle and pulling a 2 Ohm mono load on my LRx 2.9 sub amplifier...something I normally don't do. In that situation I was testing out a pre loaded digital designs enclosure.

Here's something to read:

"If you have an alternator that can produce 120 amps of current (max) and the the total current demand from the electrical accessories (including the battery) is only 20 amps, the alternator will only produce the necessary current (20 amps) to maintain the target voltage (which is determined by the alternator's internal voltage regulator). Remember that the alternator monitors the electrical system's voltage. If the voltage starts to fall below the target voltage (approximately 13.8 volts depending on the alternator's design), the alternator produces more current to keep the voltage up. When the demand for current is low, the full current capacity of the alternator is not used/produced (a 120 amp alternator does not continuously produce 120 amps unless there is a sufficient current draw)." - BCAE1.com

The short answer to your question is...you'll be fine for the most part I'm sure.

How does that sound and what size sub is that? Are there two subs in there. One on each side. Im thinking of doing something like that
Incillio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:15 PM   #29
Palmer812

That is a 15". There is only one.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:09 PM   #30
typicaljawaiian808

Drives: '09 Yaris Sedan
went through the entire build log last night...nice work
DC Power Engineering
Knukoncepts
Fosgate
Stinger
typicaljawaiian808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:40 PM   #31
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Not done yet. As I write this I'm sitting with a 3x MECA master champ and we're going over changes and little tweaks for the yaris. There WILL be more to come.

How does it sound? Well, after I put in the back seats I have to move around the sub to get the SPL back. Damned sedans. It is in a temporary enclosure right now. It sounds proper actually. Plenty of low end authority with very fast response.