Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-14-2013, 11:14 PM   #1
cathycnm
Mini Pearl

Drives: 2014 Waveline Pearl SE
test drive - comparing automatic L to manual SE

Today, I finally got to test drive a Yaris L automatic today. My car (an SE manual) is somewhere post-port-of-entry and the dealer. It will go (or has gone) to Denver via rail, then another 5-6 hours by truck to my dealer. Guessing our 100 year flood will delay the process. I like ultra rural compared to most here - and very far from the port. My dealer is great, but the tracking computer has been down for several days. Arrival is anyone's guess.

My question is on how to compare the test drive of the L automatic to my SE manual. More pep, yes. Other differences?

I liked the drive today! Trying to be patient, as Denver is flooding again tonight.
cathycnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #2
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
Maybe someone who has driven both will chime in - I have a 2013 L Auto - Love the way it drives & shifts & I'm only at the gas station for gas every 2-3 weeks!
Please be safe - the flooding the news channels are showing is terrible. Please Be Safe
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
cathycnm
Mini Pearl

Thanks Jay! I'm across the continental divide, though it's rainey here, we have different geography. That said, the hardest hit area is a place where I lived a good deal of my life. My heart is heavy for those I know there. The Yaris is something positive to focus on.

I am interested in hearing from anyone who has driven both. I enjoyed the drive.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #4
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
I had the opportunity to drive an AT as a rental once while on business. I was very pleased with how smooth it was and how it didn't seem to suffer from any loss of pep/power compared to the manual.

That being said... Manual = More fun to drive!

P.S. Greetings from a fellow Colorado resident
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:00 PM   #5
cathycnm
Mini Pearl

Hi Altitude - Hope you are staying dry. I only drive manuals but was also favorably impressed. Thanks. I think on ice and passes, the manual will be better, too.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:33 PM   #6
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathycnm View Post
I only drive manuals
. In my perfect world the standard Prius and the Prius V would both get the MPG the standard Prius does, and both (mechanically) would be designed like some Honda hybrids (I think the CR-Z is the only one left for the US market) to allow the customer to choose a manual transmission. One of my relatives in California has (since new) a 2005 manual transmission Hybrid (from the factory) Honda Civic sedan (the last year that transmission was available on that car). It would be very difficult to get him to give up that car.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #7
cathycnm
Mini Pearl

No doubt. My dealer says people can't drive them anymore. Maybe obesity would be less if we all drove a stick. Seriously, on passes in the winter w a smaller car, makes a huge difference. The car sounds very cool.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #8
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
My dealer says people can't drive them anymore.
SMH, sad commentary.
Quote:
Maybe obesity would be less if we all drove a stick.
YES! Or Walking! A few days ago (around sunset) I was waiting to turn (from Lake Woodlands Dr) into the Market Street shopping venue in The Woodlands. A man was riding his Segway down the sidewalk (with the headlight on). The person in front of me waiting to turn really needed to be watching this man (he would be turning into his path). The man on the Segway WASN'T LOOKING WHERE HE WAS GOING AT ALL....HE WAS LOOKING DOWN AT HIS SMARTPHONE ! Is his time that valuable, at that particular time, that he wouldn't have been better off walking! (stepping off soapbox...)

Quote:
Seriously, on passes in the winter w a smaller car, makes a huge difference.
I agree.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #9
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
Quote:
No doubt. My dealer says people can't drive them anymore. Maybe obesity would be less if we all drove a stick. Seriously, on passes in the winter w a smaller car, makes a huge difference. The car sounds very cool.
LOL! I've driven a manual transmission for MANY years and I haven't noticed any weight loss from that.

Edited to add: I was curious...so when I got home from work I got out a tape measure, measured my upper thighs, and my left leg is 1-1/2" smaller. It must be from pushing in the clutch.

Last edited by DebbyM46227; 09-17-2013 at 05:29 PM.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:19 PM   #10
cathycnm
Mini Pearl

Oh the weight loss - I guess it depends of repetitions. Sprained my knee badly once. Had to rent an automatic for a month! When I first started driving the clutch again, it felt like bench pressing a lot of weight. As for walking, yes, agree. I do that the 3 days/ wk that I don't have a 120 mile round trip. I get the best mileage w tennis shoes and no waiting 5 weeks for them to get here from LA! However, a lot of local drivers seem to not understand pedestrian laws. I pay attention! I don't have 9 air bags.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #11
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Oh the weight loss - I guess it depends of repetitions. Sprained my knee badly once. Had to rent an automatic for a month! When I first started driving the clutch again, it felt like bench pressing a lot of weight. As for walking, yes, agree. I do that the 3 days/ wk that I don't have a 120 mile round trip. I get the best mileage w tennis shoes and no waiting 5 weeks for them to get here from LA! However, a lot of local drivers seem to not understand pedestrian laws. I pay attention! I don't have 9 air bags.
I took you to mean ( with your previous post) that people who do for themselves rather than having it done for them (re shifting) might tend to extend that to other areas of life (like maintaining weight.....which is much easier in areas that don't have extreme summers or inclement winters...or both).
Old 09-17-2013, 07:42 PM   #12
cathycnm
Mini Pearl

I did sort of mean that. And, yea, it is easier, but I walk all winter. Now there is am interesting thesis in wellbeing - is choice of transmission positively correlated with physical activity level? I like it.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:18 PM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
I did sort of mean that. And, yea, it is easier, but I walk all winter. Now there is am interesting thesis in wellbeing - is choice of transmission positively correlated with physical activity level? I like it.
One of my best friends from elementary school through the middle of high school had an older brother (9 years older) who had an old Porsche 911T (IIRC, it didn't have power anything). He felt (as a surprising number of people in our town did) that performance is the only thing that makes an expensive car worth the money. We played a lot of tennis, but he also had a speed bag (he talked his mother into letting him mount it on the ceiling of their downstairs family room), enrolled in martial arts, and is an expert skier (started when he was 4).

Many of the people in our town who weren't performance car enthusiasts, were on the other side of the spectrum.....driving big 'land yachts', floaty Lincolns, Cadillacs, and other similar cars that had power everything. My friend's next door neighbor was an Orthodontist who was an avid tennis player and drove a (faster than his brother's) 911 and bought his wife a BMW Alpina sedan. My friend looked at the landscape as black and white (metaphorically) -- that adults who owned cars like his neighbor's cars were in shape and the people who drove Lincolns, Cadillacs, and similar cars were not in shape...and that people were one or the other. I must admit, observation alone showed that there was more than a casual amount of truth to this (of course, mere memory is anecdotal ). The only exception to this I can think of was my next door neighbor (he was a kind of pudgy Pharmacist who had a pristine 1963 Split Window Corvette Stingray Coupe). Whether our town was similar to others in this respect is anyone's guess. My friend would sometimes refer to the Lincolns and Cadillacs as 'pimpmobiles' (he was joking -- most owners = doctors, business owners, etc.).
Old 09-17-2013, 10:03 PM   #14
cathycnm
Mini Pearl

That's interesting. I wonder which comes first, too. Some cars would be less comfortable for different body builds. There certainly is/was a culture of the rich not having to walk as much. I walk to work or around town, and folks stop to offer me a ride as if I'm not making a choice. They almost look hurt when I decline. I love your description of your home town! MY other Yaris is a Nike.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:59 PM   #15
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
That's interesting. I wonder which comes first, too. Some cars would be less comfortable for different body builds. There certainly is/was a culture of the rich not having to walk as much. I walk to work or around town, and folks stop to offer me a ride as if I'm not making a choice. They almost look hurt when I decline. I love your description of your home town! MY other Yaris is a Nike.
Thanks. That's wonderful that people in your area are sweet natured enough to stop, but kind of sad that some don't seem to realize that someone might be walking for pleasure/health and not out of necessity.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:06 PM   #16
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
MY other Yaris is a Nike.
That sounds like something my cousin would say (except that she has an Escape, rather than a Yaris )!.....and she's setting a good example for my little cousin (her daughter).
Old 09-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #17
cathycnm
Mini Pearl

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
That sounds like something my cousin would say (except that she has an Escape, rather than a Yaris )!.....and she's setting a good example for my little cousin (her daughter).
Awesome!
Old 09-18-2013, 10:23 PM   #18
yarisgeo13
yarisgeo13

Drives: gloss black 5 door
Send a message via Yahoo to yarisgeo13
I like my Automatic LE. Since I do a lot of physical work, it's nice get in the car and go!!
yarisgeo13 is offline   Reply With Quote