Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-07-2006, 09:24 PM   #1
twocvforme

Drives: Yaris Liftback ...Silver
Manual Transmission...Safety Issue!!!

Who has problems with clutch, gas and start off in first gear... ???

Yes, we can do it - but in comparison to the FIT and the Versa....The Yaris idle is so low and the clutch is so touchy.. and with a slight incline one stalls at times ..It's such a simple vehicle..........What a dissappointment.

Please test drive before buying..............

A real discussion topic in many other Yaris forums and many are trading already.........mostly for safety issues with stalling in intersections and or being rear ended..
twocvforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 09:47 PM   #2
Kitt

Drives: Thndr cl metallic HB 3 drs '05
Send a message via MSN to Kitt
Nope, never had an issue with that...
Old 10-07-2006, 09:50 PM   #3
foober

Drives: two yaris liftbacks
My yaris works great. From what i hear its the hottest new car on the market.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 09:53 PM   #4
Kitt

Drives: Thndr cl metallic HB 3 drs '05
Send a message via MSN to Kitt
I second that!!!
Old 10-07-2006, 10:31 PM   #5
twocvforme

We do own 5 manual transmissions in the family,love them all and have no problems shifting. Funny but the service manager at the Toyota dealer, stalled ours numerous times and has involved the regional rep from Toyota.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:35 PM   #6
twocvforme

EXAMPLE OF TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS FROM OTHER FORUMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#1 1 Week Ago
Rat
Junior Member Join Date: Sep 2006

Yaris Transmission friction point

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought a 2007 manual Yaris about 3 weeks ago. I drove about 15 brand new cars in my life time. Most of them Japanese, and manual.

My first impresson of the Yaris manual transmission was that the friction point when you're starting from a dead stop is not so good. The car starts shaking when your reach the friction point, if the RPM is too low and if its the RPM is fine, it's not easy to get a smooth start. Often the motor will choke if the RPM is too low. I never had that much trouble starting with any other manual transmission.

Usually for most cars, the friction point is smooth and long, but with the Yaris it's short and quick.

So, when I start in a hill, I either choke or make the wheels spin because I gave too much gas.
I can't seem to adjust to it. So what I do is I don't make a dead stop, so it stats much easier on 1st, and very smoothly.

In the other gears it's fine.

Another thing that I noticed, is that with my 2006 automatic Corolla, when I go at 100km/h, the RPM is 2200, while with the Yaris, it's 2800 RPM. With the Yaris, the motor revs at 3000 RPM at 108 km/h, which i find fast.

So, the Corolla is more economical at highway speeds, while the Yaris is a little cheaper to run in the city.

I'm slightly deceived with the fast RPM of the yaris. Also when I shift from 4th to 5th gear, I don't see much of a difference. They could have made the 5th gear better for higher speeds, so that the motor wouldn't rev as fast.

I go down only 400 RPM at highway speeds when I shift from 4th to 5th gear. It should have bee more like 700 or 800 RPM...

Another thing that I noticed that is annoying, not only on this Yaris, but the Yaris I tried at the garage before buying this one, is that when you change gear, lets say from 1st to 2nd, although you let go the gas pedal to shift gears, the RPM goes UP for a second AFTER you let go the gas pedal, instead of dying down immediately. It does this also when you change gears from 2nd to 3rd, and from 3rd to 4th. Maybe it's to burn the remaining gas better, but It's really annoying.

If it wasn't for these flaws, it would be a great car.

Bottom line, it's worth the 1,300$ more to get a Corolla.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:48 PM   #7
dngz

Drives: black yaris sedan
that's weird, i have never had any problems. before I did but that was because the all season matt they gave me was waaay too thick and groved in making my foot stuck sumtimes when i press in the clutch... but once i took it out, installed sports pedals, it drives ever so easily... even on a really steep hill, its pretty easy to start the car without rolling back much.
dngz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 02:09 AM   #8
TrancosRt

Drives: 07 Silver HB Yaris
rrr.. No, no probs here, sorry. I love the car, and while it takes a lil time to get used to the clutch, I didn't have much problems driving it, even after not having driven a manual car for almost a year and a half. Bottom line is, I'm sorry for the drivers who are trading in their cars, but it sounds like they shouldn't have bought the car in the first place.
TrancosRt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 02:14 AM   #9
AlexK

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan 5MT
I agree that some cars are easier to start out in 1st than the Yaris... but the Nissan Versa is not one of them. These issues were 10x worse on the Versa I test drove. Also, in your other post where you're quoting someone who is complaining about the yaris low gearing... the Versa is a 6 speed and still is low geared.
I agree that the revs climbing between shifts is annoying. My last tank averaged 46.2 mpg in town. Love my Yaris!
AlexK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 04:06 AM   #10
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
If the friction point is bothering you that much just use the e-brake... 5 speed training wheels...
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 06:04 AM   #11
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Well to be honest I did stall quite a few times at first from a stop. Problem is, the other manual car I usually drive is a diesel pickup, and that engine barely needs to be revved, it has loads of low-end torque. Our little 1NZ-FE's don't, so I find it helps to rev up the engine a little higher than you would normally want to, when engaging the clutch.
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 06:51 AM   #12
Katana

Drives: Yaris LB 1.3lt 06
Send a message via MSN to Katana Send a message via Yahoo to Katana
No problem with mine!
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 07:28 AM   #13
boxerboy

Drives: WRX ,Tacoma and Yaris
Its not the car its the driver. You have to get use to the drive by wire slower throddle response. Frist few times it was a little odd, now no problem.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:59 AM   #14
featherz

Drives: 2007 Liftback Yaris Bayou Blue
I had the same problem for a while (took me a bit longer than others because I was used to my Jeep Wrangler which was WAY different) but I seem to be doing much better now. Still have a little apprehension on a steep grade, but that's what the emergency brake is for. :)
featherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 09:04 AM   #15
boxerboy

Drives: WRX ,Tacoma and Yaris
Just use the hand brake its that easy.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:10 AM   #16
Yaris Dick

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 06 VW GTI, 06 G6
Buyer's remorse is a horrible thing. This guy is obviously here to start shit cuz he regrets not buying something else. Take notice of his "example". Only a few posts on that one too. Wanna bet who posted that "example" on the "other forum"????
Yaris Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 11:18 AM   #17
foober

Drives: two yaris liftbacks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Dick
Buyer's remorse is a horrible thing. This guy is obviously here to start shit cuz he regrets not buying something else. Take notice of his "example". Only a few posts on that one too. Wanna bet who posted that "example" on the "other forum"????
true, I sure don't have the problem with my car that he seems to with his car. I'm guessing he's just not used to the yaris's clutch yet. Every cars clutch feels a little different I've noticed.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 03:35 PM   #18
Toymaniac
Adm.ClubYarisQuebec.com

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan Aero group
actualy i have the same problem ...

and know alot of people with that problem and yes the yaris is reving to low on idle...

my idle is 400rpm that is way to low...

even my sales director as a yaris and also finds it hard to start from first gear without slipping the clutch...

2007 Yaris sedan Barcelona Red
TRD Swaybar
TRD Springs
Tanabe Strutbar
Toymaniac is offline   Reply With Quote