Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-03-2016, 10:00 AM   #1
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
Toyota axes Scion

http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases...ion+toyota.htm

TORRANCE, Calif., Feb. 3, 2016 – Scion, established as a separate brand in 2003 as a laboratory to explore new products and processes to attract youth customers, is now transitioning back to the Toyota brand. Scion achieved its goals of developing unique products and processes, and bringing in new, younger customers to Toyota. With more than a million cars sold, 70 percent of Scions were purchased by customers new to Toyota and 50 percent were under 35 years old.

“This isn’t a step backward for Scion; it’s a leap forward for Toyota. Scion has allowed us to fast track ideas that would have been challenging to test through the Toyota network,” said Jim Lentz, founding vice president of Scion and now CEO, Toyota Motor North America. “I was there when we established Scion and our goal was to make Toyota and our dealers stronger by learning how to better attract and engage young customers. I’m very proud because that’s exactly what we have accomplished.

“We could not have achieved the success we have had without the incredible support of Scion’s customers, dealers and team members, so supporting them throughout this transition process will be one of our top priorities,” said Lentz.

Toyota’s decision was made in response to customers’ needs. Today’s younger buyers still want fun-to-drive vehicles that look good, but they are also more practical. They, like their parents, have come to appreciate the Toyota brand and its traditional attributes of quality, dependability and reliability. At the same time, new Toyota vehicles have evolved to feature the dynamic styling and handling young people desire.

Scion has consistently been the youngest brand in the auto industry with an average age of 36 years old. At 29, the tC sports coupe has the lowest-average age buyer in the industry. The most recent additions to the line-up, the iA sedan and iM 5-door hatchback, are bringing in new buyers with 70 percent being first-time new car purchasers. Additionally, more than 50 percent of iM and iA buyers are under 35 years old.

As part of the brand transition, beginning in August 2016, MY17 Scion vehicles will be rebadged as Toyotas. The FR-S sports car, iA sedan and iM 5-door hatchback will become part of the Toyota family. The tC sports coupe will have a final release series edition and end production in August 2016. The C-HR, which recently debuted at the L.A. Auto Show, will be a part of the Toyota line-up.

The service and repair process for Scion customers will be unaffected by this change as customers will continue to visit Toyota dealerships’ service departments.

“We appreciate our 1,004 Scion dealers and the support they’ve given the brand,” said Bob Carter, Toyota senior vice president of automotive operations. “We believe our dealers have gained valuable insights and have received a strong return on their investment. During this time of transition, we will work closely with them to support this process and help communicate this change to customers.”

Scion’s 22 dedicated team members, who represent sales, marketing, distribution, strategy, and product and accessories planning, will have the opportunity to take on new jobs at Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. in Torrance. Scion regional representatives will assume different responsibilities in their respective Toyota sales offices.

“Scion has had some amazing products over the years and our current vehicles are packed with premium features at value prices,” said Andrew Gilleland, Scion vice president. “It’s been a great run and I’m proud that the spirit of Scion will live on through the knowledge and products soon to be available through the Toyota network.”
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:08 AM   #2
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
I love how they can spin the shuttering of Scion into a positive.

On a related note, I have yet to see even ONE iA or iM on the road during my daily driving/commutes. I know that they are selling better than the Yaris, but apparently not in the region that I am in. But then, I have only seen 3 total 2015+ Yaris SE's out here since they were released, not counting my own.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:54 AM   #3
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Well, here's my take:

http://www.subcompactculture.com/201...ting-down.html
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:36 AM   #4
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
I consider this good news. I liked the xA and the original xB, but everything else was a disappointment.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:19 PM   #5
Killchain

Drives: '10 Yaris LB Polar White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
Old 02-03-2016, 01:03 PM   #6
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Good move. There's just no reason for Scion anymore. Too bad Toyota had to learn the hard way.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:15 PM   #7
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
I consider this good news. I liked the xA and the original xB, but everything else was a disappointment.
^
This
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:24 PM   #8
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
Well, scionara, I guess.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:06 PM   #9
kimona
Super Moderator

Yes, "scionara" and good riddance to a poorly managed division.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:13 PM   #10
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Back in '07 when shopping for a new car and eventually going with the Yaris, I nearly pulled the trigger on a tC. Only didn't based on price, but I don't think they're bad looking cars. Closest thing to a Civic offered by Toyota; given the yawn factor of the Corolla.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 12:18 AM   #11
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
I like those two very much too, but otherwise I have to respectfully disagree. I get nothing but compliments about my xD, even when I don't use it for work (you do the math). Plus I've got almost 40k on her now, and she still runs just as well as my missed Yaris at this same point in mileage life. Ironically, people say that they like how the xD design isn't quite as boxy as the xB, but still somehow stands out of the crowd. Just how I witness it.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 12:32 AM   #12
kimona
Super Moderator

I drove the xD and liked it very much; basically a more refined Yaris with a Corolla motor. The body style wasn't especially unattractive, but the massive C-pillar obstructed my vision and was just plain ugly. Nevertheless, the xD is a car I'd own simply because it's a great Toyota.

BTW, if I had one, I'd rebadge it Toyota ist.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:15 AM   #13
mirapatec

Drives: 2012 Yaris L, 2020 Yaris LE HB
My local dealer only had two Scions on the lot recently. Even though they were both on display right up front, it was obvious that something was amiss. At least the iA and the iM will continue in the Toyota lineup.

mirapatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:22 PM   #14
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
Well, scionara, I guess.
Shakin' My Head, Good One!
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:24 PM   #15
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
I guess it's time to get that Scion iQ to park in front of the Yaris!
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 12:01 PM   #16
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
I doubt we'll see great reductions in Scion pricing since they'll all be Toyotas soon anyhow. I also doubt the resale of the Scions will go down since, well, they're really Toyotas.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote