Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 10:12 PM   #37
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
bronze konig heliums 16x7, about 3 lbs lighter!
Old 12-06-2011, 10:16 PM   #38
Captain Slow
My Face Is Ridiculous

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris 3dr LB
Hmm...i googled konig heliums and saw several reports of them failing (as in breaking apart while driving)
Old 12-06-2011, 10:42 PM   #39
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

Drives: yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Hmm...i googled konig heliums and saw several reports of them failing (as in breaking apart while driving)

ones that aren't damaged, won't

those that break are due to driver error and a damaging incident
exerting forces well beyond beyond TUV and VIA testing ranges, not wheel problems

you really need to google better
Old 12-06-2011, 11:09 PM   #40
Captain Slow
My Face Is Ridiculous

First google result is a post from this very website, just saying.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:06 AM   #41
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Following the logic. You want looks more than you want performance. 16" looks better. 16x7 will let you run a 205 tire. So you are going to buy 16x7 wheels with +40mm offset or better (meaning a higher number than that), and run a 205/50/16 tire.

With a mild to medium drop, that will work just fine. You will still have room to use a 10mm spacer in the back for perfect fitment, and -1 degree camber in front for improved handling with no loss in tire wear.

Unless you invest in coilovers, springs for a mild/medium drop are:

Eibach Prokits
Tanabe NF210
H&R (my favorite choice in this class)
TRD (if you like paying extra for red powdercoating)
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:22 AM   #42
TRDMarty

Drives: Polar White 2008, 3Dr HB TRD '
Captain Slow, just make it easy on yourself.
I have ALL the same TRD suspension goodies you listed.
I use the TRD 18'' wheels with 215/35 ZR 18 tires.
Load the car up with anything, people, crap in the back, whatever.
NOTHING touches. Why?? Toyota already figured all of the clearences that would be required. They already did the work for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5-24-09 059.jpg (135.5 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 5-24-09 061.jpg (205.0 KB, 52 views)
Old 12-07-2011, 09:03 AM   #43
Captain Slow
My Face Is Ridiculous

Wow, 18s and no rubbing?

Either way, too big for me. I dont want to go above 16, might even stay with 15s
Old 12-07-2011, 10:20 AM   #44
Captain Slow
My Face Is Ridiculous

hey Cali, I don't see what you're saying about the TRD springs. I checked and the TRD springs are cheaper than anything else I can find save the Micro Image springs.

I did notice the Tanabe springs on your site though and since they're the same price as the TRD springs and produce even less of a drop I'll probably go with those. I'm not looking to go slammed, honestly I don't want to drop at all (not the best roads around here) but I also want the car to look better and any improvement in handling is always appreciated. if I lived in a place with wonderful roads I'd go super low and super stiff on suspension stuff, I love tight handling, but alas Louisiana roads are pretty poor.

So I'll probably be ordering some Tanabe's from you ;) Any suggestion of what shock/strut set to pair with those? keep in mind that I'm looking for the drop and the upgraded shocks for a mild performance increase without sacrificing too much ride quality. this is my DD after all.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:52 PM   #45
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
... Any suggestion of what shock/strut set to pair with those? keep in mind that I'm looking for the drop and the upgraded shocks for a mild performance increase without sacrificing too much ride quality. this is my DD after all.
You could in theory keep your stock shocks.

Here's a quote from another thread (posts # 14 and 16) about using stock shocks with TRD springs which have about the same drop as the Tanabes that you are interested in:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Leong View Post
... dealer claimed that his TRD lowering spring is "fully compatible" with the original shock absorber and will not damage it.
So, if you're going with Tanabes (Drop F/R: 1.0/1.1", link) that are almost identical to TRDs (1.2” in both front and rear, link), you could keep the stock shocks on, as it's still going to be on your DD.

Quote:
... I did notice the Tanabe springs on your site though and since they're the same price as the TRD springs and produce even less of a drop I'll probably go with those. ... So I'll probably be ordering some Tanabe's from you ;)
Cheapest TRDs I can find are $189.00, but you have to pay shipping, but the Tanabes you're interested in are $199.95, with free shipping, so good choice!

Old 12-07-2011, 02:22 PM   #46
Captain Slow
My Face Is Ridiculous

yeah, the stock shocks should be able to handle a mild drop, it will likely decrease their lifespan somewhat...but that's not really an issue. then I could upgrade to TRD shocks.

Garm, what are your opinions on KYBs mated with the Tanabes? From my experience KYBs still provide a good ride yet provide a slight performance increase.

I've also done full Tokico setups on previous cars, but I'm not sure how much drop that would create. I do know I liked the ride of a full Tokico setup, firm and sporty but still comfortable.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:06 PM   #47
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

KYB's are OEM replacements, but they might offer a small performance improvement. I have NOT ridden or driven a car with those installed, though.

Struts and shocks DO NOT affect ride height, only the springs do that!

SO -- you are fine with a mild drop and stock struts and shocks. Only downside is duplicating the work if you upgrade later.
If you want to upgrade now, nothing beats the Tokico Blues.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.

Last edited by cali yaris; 12-07-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:25 PM   #48
Captain Slow
My Face Is Ridiculous

yeah I know that springs are what affect ride height.

might just wait and do the full TRD package...or do some Tokico blues with the Tanabe springs. basically I want a little improvement in performance and some improvement in appearance without sacrificing any more reliability or ride comfort as possible.

I'm looking for sportier than factory but nothing crazy. I've been down the path of full suspensions, full motor-back custom exhausts, cams, CAIs, p&p and all of that stuff. too noisy and get tired of smelling like gasoline, hah. this car more than anything needs to be a reliable and comfortable daily driver, but also something I enjoy driving ;)
Old 12-07-2011, 04:51 PM   #49
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

ok, I thought you meant by "Tokico set up" that you thought shocks affect ride height.

I gotcha now!

Quote:
I've also done full Tokico setups on previous cars, but I'm not sure how much drop that would create.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:48 PM   #50
Captain Slow
My Face Is Ridiculous

yeah, I was referring to the Tokico HP kits that come with springs and shocks. had them on a '90 Accord and it road better than my wife's '04 Sentra that was only like 2 years old at the time.

the more I think of it I may just go the full TRD route. I know there are equal/better options for less...but I'm obsessive compulsive and having parts made specifically for the car by Toyota will likely mean I'm more satisfied with the car as a whole.

it's kinda like the rally wing, I could save myself tons by getting the eBay replica....but then I'd know there is a big piece of chinese plastic on the back of my car when I could have had the proper part, lol.
Closed Thread