Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-24-2019, 11:48 AM   #1
thebark

Drives: 2008 Yaris 2dr Hatch
2008 Yaris Roof Strips

I have a stupid question. Are the black strips on either side of the roof a part that can be replaced or is it some kind of sealant. The strips on my 2008 HB are coming loose and I don't know what to replace them with.

Thanks!
Roger
thebark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:21 PM   #2
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Funny that you would ask about these right now. It's about that time, isn't it? I just got an email this morning about replacement strips for my '07 having shipped. I have a contact at Claremont Toyota that told me these on eBay are the exact same thing, but a little cheaper than going through the dealership. Apparently, they pop off and back on with some clips that are underneath.

Hope it helps!

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:36 PM   #3
TiedBassDrummer

Drives: 08 Yaris 3dr
The roof strip has a clip at the front and a clip at the back. The rest of it just pushes into the track.
TiedBassDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:00 PM   #4
thebark

Drives: 2008 Yaris 2dr Hatch
Thanks for the info!
thebark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 12:33 PM   #5
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
The left side on my '08 is coming a bit loose on the left side. I wonder if the rubber just stretched over time or what. lol
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 11:22 PM   #6
Egg of the King

Drives: 09 Yaris 3dr Hatchback
Yes, that is the correct part. I just replaced mine in February.

I made the mistake of ordering through the dealership

I also made the mistake of ordering the clips. There's no need to order them. The moulding simply snaps on to the existing clips. Don't be like me. Save your money
Egg of the King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 02:56 AM   #7
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
Mine are doing the same. But also probably cuz i removed them to paint the roof. Now i know im not the only one

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:09 AM   #8
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Funny that you would ask about these right now. It's about that time, isn't it? I just got an email this morning about replacement strips for my '07 having shipped. I have a contact at Claremont Toyota that told me these on eBay are the exact same thing, but a little cheaper than going through the dealership. Apparently, they pop off and back on with some clips that are underneath.

Hope it helps!
Sweet, I need these.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:09 PM   #9
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebark View Post
Thanks for the info!
My pleasure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
The left side on my '08 is coming a bit loose on the left side. I wonder if the rubber just stretched over time or what. lol
I think the sun is what really does a number on them. That, and if you've had to remove them. I assume that would stretch and fatigue them a bit, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egg of the King View Post
Yes, that is the correct part. I just replaced mine in February.

I made the mistake of ordering through the dealership

I also made the mistake of ordering the clips. There's no need to order them. The moulding simply snaps on to the existing clips. Don't be like me. Save your money

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezhacker1 View Post
Mine are doing the same. But also probably cuz i removed them to paint the roof. Now i know im not the only one
Yeah, mine weren't looking spectacular before it, but after being removed and put back on for my last bit of body work, they really took a turn for the worse. After nearly a dozen years, it's not surprising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegamer View Post
Sweet, I need these.

On Wheelwell
Old 07-06-2019, 05:30 PM   #10
mo_feezy

Drives: 08 Yaris S Sedan AT Black
I need to replace mine also, can anyone post a video or pictures of how it is done? I understand that there are 2 clips, from which direction do they clip? I need to remove the old ones but don't want to break the clips and haven't found any pictures to give me confidence.
Cheers.
mo_feezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:48 AM   #11
TiedBassDrummer

Drives: 08 Yaris 3dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo_feezy View Post
I need to replace mine also, can anyone post a video or pictures of how it is done? I understand that there are 2 clips, from which direction do they clip? I need to remove the old ones but don't want to break the clips and haven't found any pictures to give me confidence.
Cheers.

While I don't have pictures, replacing the roof strips is very easy. I would recommend getting something under the strip near the middle of the vehicle to pop the strip out of the track. Maybe a pick, or a thin screwdriver wrapped in a cloth. That should give you a good view of the clips. One at the front, and one at the back that should help you figure out how to the the strips off the clips.

In my experience, it didn't take much in order to get the strip off of the clips. Don't force it, and the clips shouldn't break.
TiedBassDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:40 AM   #12
ern-diz

There's a clip on the roof of the car at each end of the track that the molding goes into. The molding slides over those clips at the ends and then just snaps in and fits snugly throughout the middle section.

I remember starting at the rear point of the molding, by the hatch, and pushing it forward toward the front of the car. That creates some slack that you can use to free up the front clip near the windshield and then free up the whole thing. It's really easy and you'll see that once you get into it. I didn't do any research prior but just pushing on it a little from the back revealed everything I needed to know.

On Wheelwell
Old 03-11-2023, 03:14 PM   #13
Neinris

Drives: 08 Yaris 3 Door Hatchback
Apologies for the revival, but I just want to share where I got mine. I found a pair for really cheap. I just got done installing them, and they fit really well. They do stretch out, but I compressed them to the perfect length of the roof. Hopefully they last long. I just don't know which end is the front, because I've removed my old trim and discarded them about a month before the install. I decided to install the tapered end at the back, for the water to exits easier. The front of the roof, along the windshield, is fairly flat, so I thought that the flat end should shouldered up with the roof. Am I wrong?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195489194422
Neinris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 09:41 AM   #14
bairjo

One of my strips came off at one end when the clip broke. I just glued the end of the srtip in place with clear silicone calk and it has held for over a year now. ....just cheap fix but it works.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 05:32 PM   #15
libraryelf

Drives: 2008 Yaris white
Black strips on roof of 08

My black strip on the passenger side has been loose for a while, I put black tape on it and some tape on the other side. I wonder if that is where the leak is coming from. Water is getting into the trunk and cabin. I put tape behind the passenger's side back break light. I took out the plug-out trunk to get water to drain out the water and I wonder if other plugs are clogged. But yeah strip has been bad on my 08 for years. I had to be careful when going thru the car wash, it would pull that strip almost off.
libraryelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 12:36 AM   #16
CrimsonEclipse

Drives: .
My strips are gone.

Do they have any other use besides aesthetics?

And why DOES the roof have 2 gullies in it?
CrimsonEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 04:33 PM   #17
Pasable

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
I got these cheap rubber ones on ebay. They came rolled up and did not fit well at first. I left them out in the sun then they fit better.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/155062710999
Attached Images

Pasable is offline   Reply With Quote