Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-20-2017, 11:21 PM   #1
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
12 Hours of Cleaning!

so i have never taken care of the paint on any vehicle i have owned, and they all suffered because of it. i've had the yaris for a year, and the paint looks so good that i decided i would attempt to take care of it.

these are the chemicals that i used:

Chemical Guys: V36 cutting polish, V38 optical grade polish, Mr. Pink shampoo, White Light sealant, white paste wax, O-High Shine dressing, medium grade claybar mitt + lube
Meguiar's: DA drill attached polisher, compound/polish/wax pads
generic microfiber washing mitt and a stack of microfiber towels

holly crap!!!
procedure: wash (with dawn), clay bar mitt (lube smells so awesome!), wash with Mr. Pink (smells like watermelon candy, yum!), cut with V36, polish with V38. then it was 7pm. damn! that took 6 hours.
next day: wash and clay again with Mr. Pink. Seal with White Light. wait 30 minutes. buff off. wax with White wax. buffed off. treated all black plastic and rubber seals with O-High Shine. (also smells great!)
these products all worked well, very well. better than i ever expected. and they all smell so good!
when i was using the cutter (V36) on the roof, there was so much oxidation and smog and crap in the pant that it looked like mud running off. it was so gross, and it was after 2 washes and clay bar-ing.

here is some before pictures:

After all the work, the pictures do not give justice. i notice that it's so shiny that the camera misses a bunch of the body lines.
but it is so super shiny and smooth.
...so smooth

yeah, it's soooo much more shiny than the pictures give justice.
these Chemical Guys chemicals worked well.
extremely happy!
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 02:55 PM   #2
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
I know the feeling. Whenever I wash+wax+detail my car fully, it takes a big chunk out of my designated Sunday morning+afternoon.

Good job on the cleaning/detailing - it doesn't look anywhere near 10 years old.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 04:00 PM   #3
Steve35

Drives: 2008 HB
Now clean the windshield like this, you'll love the results

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVUtdlzrktI

Steve
Steve35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:29 PM   #4
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Looks good! Get yourself some Mcguire's ultimate quick detailer and every couple days use it to wipe off any dust and light dirt. Your car will look like it does now and for only 10 mins of time.

Most of keeping a car looking like that it being constant on maintaining it
Old 05-22-2017, 12:15 AM   #5
SirDigby

i did clay bar the glass. and i have always applied rain-x twice a year on all my cars since i was a teenager. i live next to the mountains and they use gravel on the roads. i have glass coverage because it's pretty common to get a new windshield every 6 months to a year. i don't want to spent hours polishing glass that could need changing on a daily basis.
but if i had a car that only got driven like once a month, this is a great idea for your fancy car!
Old 05-22-2017, 12:22 AM   #6
SirDigby

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Looks good! Get yourself some Mcguire's ultimate quick detailer and every couple days use it to wipe off any dust and light dirt. Your car will look like it does now and for only 10 mins of time.
today i had a microfiber towel with me, and every time i would stop, i would be a dirty spot where there was wax build-up that i missed. it happened like 3 times. i think i got it all now...?
Old 05-22-2017, 01:31 AM   #7
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Great job. Always nice to see other people doing full details on their cars.

What I noticed with CG products is that they only play nicely with other CG products. That's why I decided against using them.

I don't recommend using Dawn/dish soap to prep the surfaces to be detailed. Dish soap can dry out plastics and rubber trims, which I experienced with my Vios. I never did it again after that. However, you did treat the plastic/rubber, so that should help.

Clay barring is sufficient in prepping the surface for any compounds. A dedicated wax remover can also be used.

I stopped using Rain-x and just use my wax (Collinite 476s) on my windows. Does a much better job at actually beading off water than Rain-x, and lasts WAAAAY longer. I actually don't use my wipers unless it's misty. Rain just beads off at 30+ mph.

On other suggestion for you for next year (or the next time you do a full detail) since you have a white car. Use CarPro Iron-x to remove any rail dust/iron contaminant from the paint. You should wear gloves and a respirator for this since it smells like skunk spray.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 01:32 AM   #8
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Also, I take it your car is swirl-free now?
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:22 PM   #9
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
looks good
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:08 PM   #10
SirDigby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
I take it your car is swirl-free now?
uh....i guess so. i didn't really see any swirls on the white before. it was mostly just faded and had minimal reflection, very minimal. i just wanted it to be super shiny. (now, i found like 10 little dents here and there)
it was mostly the roof and hood dullness that was bothering me. i might go over them again in a couple of weeks...

oh, and the CG O-High shine worked great! my cowl was all grey and super faded and awful looking. i hadn't even noticed. now it's all black and looks like it's new and wet! it didn't work so great on the b-pillar plastics, but that might be reacting with hand oils and stuff. i'm not sure why, maybe it just needs a few coats. worked good on mirror plastics.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:59 PM   #11
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Drives: '09 3-door 5-speed
Looks real nice!

I've noticed that the plastic on the door, behind the window (what you called the b-pillar plastics) is somehow different than all the other plastic on the car. I use Aerospace 303 on all my plastic, inside and out, and it works really well everywhere except there, where it leaves a weird, smudgy, oily-rainbow sheen. It must be some different sort of plastic that won't absorb anything.
scratchpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 01:15 AM   #12
SirDigby

yeah! rainbow oily gross. maybe i'll go get it vinyl wrapped...
Old 07-17-2017, 02:41 AM   #13
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Drives: Hatchbacks
In the before pictures you have stock tail lights, then after your wash/wax it has JDM tail lights. Hell yeah! I hope that happens when I wash and wax my car. :)
bradbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:49 AM   #14
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradbowl View Post
In the before pictures you have stock tail lights, then after your wash/wax it has JDM tail lights. Hell yeah! I hope that happens when I wash and wax my car. :)
Ha, nice catch. Made me notice the change in wheels too; from hubcaps to trim rings.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:11 PM   #15
SirDigby

you almost got them all.
also: S spoiler, micro vortex generators, lower grill mesh, netz badge, and painted upper grill and fog light grills. they all went on before waxing...and those beauty rings are metal, not plastic :)

Tags
chemical guys, clean, detail, wash, wax