Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-16-2017, 09:27 AM   #1
LewisM

Drives: 2002 Yaris
Neighbor hit my door, what are my options for repairs?

A fortnight ago my neighbor reversed off her drive into the side of my car. She's accepted full responsibility, but said she'd rather pay herself instead of going through her insurance and losing her no claims bonus.
I went to a few body shops who quoted anywhere from £800-1200, all of them saying I'd need a completely new door that would in turn have to be sprayed to match my car. I found one garage that said he could do it for £450-500 with a second hand door, but even that seems steep.
To be honest I think I could do it myself - I've never done anything like this before but it doesn't look that bad. Plus I have access to a commercial spray booth, so I might even be able to spray it myself.

Everything on the door still works, so as far as I can see my options are:

1. Buy an entire door 2nd hand for about £100-150 and fit that. I'd rather not do this as the chances of finding a whole door that fits and is a good colour match seems slim. Plus taking an entire door off seems like it would be pretty complicated?
2. Try to push the dent back out, fill and sand where it's needed and attempt to respray the door. I've never actually done any spraying, let alone a car so I'm really not sure about this. I was hoping there might be some sort of product I could use that would make it easier?
3. I saw someone online talking about buying door skins, which I'm presuming are the metal that goes on the outside of a car. This seems like it would be perfect for what I need, can anyone point me in the right direction for this?

I get on pretty well with my neighbor, she's got a young kid so I don't want to slap them with a huge bill. I'm also not super bothered if the car doesn't look perfectly new, I just want it looking better than it currently does.

Any advice greatly appreciated - thanks!

Oh and it's a silver 2002 Yaris, if that makes a difference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Car_1Resized.jpg (58.6 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg Car_2Resized.jpg (75.8 KB, 101 views)
LewisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:13 AM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
She is at fault. She is paying. Do not cheap out!
You don't need the most expensive quote but do not go the diy route with this one.
Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-2017, 10:40 AM   #3
LewisM

Ahh I'm really not that bothered mate. The city I live in is so bad for parking that people won't think twice about nudging your car, I've only been here 2 months and mine's already got a few scratches / dings.
Plus if I can do the work myself I can invoice for whatever I value my time at. I get a nice little pay out, the car looks better, she gets away without either paying through the nose or losing her no claims - everyone wins :)

I've had a look into just buying the panels, I can get what seems to be a full door for about £40 on Ebay. So I can either just take the skin and handle off of it then fit them to my current one, or I can switch the entire door over. Which option do you think would be easier?
Old 07-16-2017, 01:00 PM   #4
WeeYari

A week and a half ago some a-hole took out the rear door and quarter panel of my new Soul. I was parked in a low demand area in a Walmart lot, nobody near me and yet I managed to get clipped. Right now I have absolutely no sympathy for drivers who are not aware of where the corners of their vehicle are in relation to what is around them. Then to have the balls to take off.

With an extra set of hands, replacing a door is easy enough. Source a replacement, get it professionally painted, and swap it out yourself.

Old 07-16-2017, 02:20 PM   #5
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
For a 2012 you can probably still find a silver door that matches well enough you won't notice. Just swap the whole door as it will be easier.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:37 PM   #6
LewisM

Ok I think I'll go down the route of a new door, thanks for the advice!

*Edit* - it's actually a 2001, not a 2012. Even so like I said I'm not that bothered if the colour doesn't quite match.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:54 PM   #7
WeeYari

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryM View Post
For a 2012
Yeah, where did that come from ;)

Old 07-16-2017, 03:16 PM   #8
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Yeah, where did that come from ;)

Came from not being awake enough

I saw the pics and thought Echo, but thought I saw 2012 in the signature or something. Either way, just get a whole door for it and bolt it on. The only other viable option to have it close to how it was is to have it resprayed.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:16 PM   #9
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
door is prob the easiest. the handle is damaged too, and would be hard to make fit. that would cost $2200-$2400USD to get repaired. make sure you get your money out of it!
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:05 AM   #10
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Dude, I'd buy a new door and a respray. It looks like your door is jacked up, I could fit a bagel between that gap; it gets progressively bigger from the bottom to the top.

Last edited by KCALB SIRAY; 07-19-2017 at 11:17 AM.
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:01 PM   #11
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Toyota door shell?

As OP says everything works...does Toyota sell just the full door weldment--the metal part, which may have some crimpfoldcaulk, that all the other door assembly parts are attached to?
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:39 PM   #12
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
As OP says everything works...does Toyota sell just the full door weldment--the metal part, which may have some crimpfoldcaulk, that all the other door assembly parts are attached to?
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:48 AM   #13
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCALB SIRAY View Post
Hahahahaha..........best response yet! Love it.

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:02 AM   #14
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
no offence taken explain pic someday thanks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
likely Toyota no longer "supports" sheet metal on 16 year old vehicles? just for curious--how about if it were a much newer Toyota door?
(edit: I see now...photo properties address--"...2012/12/James-Franco-Confused-Look1.gif")

Last edited by dogsridewith; 07-20-2017 at 01:30 PM.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:14 PM   #15
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Any good body man can easily fix the dent on that door.

The problem is, most body shops have gone to the more easy and profitable "remove and replace" route.

Consider this... most body shops can fix bad damage to look like new on a rear quarter panel but will still chose to remove and replace removable parts that has relatively minor damage.

They go for the quick and easy money and even make more money from selling you a new, very expensive part.
They pay wholesale for the part but sell it to you at retail.

The good news is, the door's edge and alignment does not seem to be damaged or altered .

Last edited by RedRide; 07-26-2017 at 04:49 PM.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote