Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-10-2018, 08:49 AM   #1
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Ceramic coat - CQuartz

Decided to take the plunge and buy CQuarts ceramic coat for my car. It sees a lot of road crap since it's a DD over here in the GTA. This seemed to be the best option for paint durability as waxing it ever 2 weeks ended up being more work than life would let me do.

I had to apply this in the hot sun which is not ideal but it does lead to a much faster curing time. I did mess up and take too long to wipe off the hood, roof and trunk lid, meaning I'll have to re polish and re apply. In the direct sun it looks spotless but in cloudy weather you can see streaking in these areas. It says drying time is 1-5mins but in direct sun with very hot paint it's about 1 minute before you have to wipe it down.

Over all I am very impressed with how this turned out, the shine is much better than any synthetic wax gave my car, it is a much deeper gloss and the finish is so smooth. I plan on using Car Pro EcHo2 diluted as a quick detailer to wipe off the dust that builds up every day, and Car pro reload as a ceramic coat maintainer after each wash.

I will be now using an electric 1700 psi power washer with foam cannon to wash the car when the dirt is fairly built up approx every 4 weeks. Followed by the Car Pro reload to keep the ceramic coat built up. Every few days I'll just be
using the detailer spray to keep the dust off.

I'm fan of these ceramic coats, just take note that the prep work going into the car before you lay it down takes a lot of work. I spent about 5 hrs total on the car between washing, clay baring, 2x polishing, alcohol wipe down and finallty ceramic coat.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:46 AM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
waxing it ever 2 weeks...

wipe off the dust that builds up every day...

ceramic coat maintainer after each wash...

approx every 4 weeks...

Every few days I'll just be using the detailer spray...

Seriously, the depth of shine looks amazing.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:09 AM   #3
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post

Seriously, the depth of shine looks amazing.
+1

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 02:43 PM   #4
tarkus

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3-Door
Looks phenomenal!

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:09 PM   #5
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Have to agree. Looks great! Read quite a bit about cQuartz, but have yet to try it.

I too would like a foam cannon.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:20 AM   #6
tmontague

I've been away on vacation for the past week but when I get back I'll post an update on how it goes removing and re doing the hood, roof and top of the trunk.

I also ordered some car pro reload and ECH2o. The former being a quick spray protective coating to maintain the ceramic and the later being used as a detailing spray.

If I end up with a low power power washer it should make cleaning a breeze and no swirl marks getting on the paint.

Overall I'm very impressed with the deep gloss it brings out. Only downside is it really shows the Orange peel that our cars have from the factory quick spray job
Old 05-28-2018, 08:30 PM   #7
tmontague

I fixed the 3 areas that I let sit too long. The result originally was streaks that would not come off as they are cured ceramic coating. I just used a polishing compound and an orbital buffer and they came off after about 3 passes both ways. I then re coated and everything is clean looking now.

I also picked up some Car pro ECH2o to use as a detailer spray that is compatible with silica ceramic coatings. It's purchased as a concentrate and it about $24 CAD diluted to 1:20 (as recommended on line) yields about 20 some odd Liters. It's by far the cheapest wayt o go if you use a lot of detailer spray. It works very well and does not leave streaks even when applied out in the sun. Easy to wipe away and picks up dust very well.

I have a bottle of Car Pro Reload spray which is essentially a spray on additional coating to the ceramic coating that apprently last 6 months. It's like adding a spray wax ontop of a ceramic coat, except the Reload contains Silica and is compatible w/ the ceramic coating. I haven't tried it yet but I'll update when I do.

As a side, I couldn't believe the shine the car still had after it's first wash since the ceramic coat. Before when using synthetic wax the car was never as crisp looking and glossy after a wash as it was right after waxing it. In this case the car looks just as wet and glossy when dried after a wash. So far I'm a big fan of this stuff. It's pricey but well worth it as well as the time it saves
Old 07-23-2018, 04:37 PM   #8
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
How is the coating holding up for you?
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote