Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-04-2015, 08:41 PM   #19
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Can't tell from your signature which year car you've got there. I wouldn't use a buffing/polishing machine unless you have serious paint issues you are trying to resolve. IMHO, machines can "destabilize" the clearcoat (especially on older paint) which may cause premature delamination.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:38 PM   #20
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Indeed, you want to proceed with caution when machine polishing. There are plenty of resources out there on the web. Forums you can read through, youtube videos you can watch, even books you can read. Mike Phillips wrote a pretty damn good book. I still refer to it from time to time.

Also, there are many options for polishers (aka buffers). From cheap (Harbor Freight) to expensive (Rupes). Both can get the job done. I've used a Porter Cable with success.

As far as doing polishing on the Yaris, it really depends on what YOU want to accomplish.

For example, some may look at this hood and say, "wow! that's what I want" and they will be happy with it: Washed, clay'd, and waxed

Yet others, including myself, will want more. The paint can look good from further out, somewhat close, and in some angles. From other angles, things can change, especially when reflecting direct sunlight and you see scratches, swirls, etc.

Myself, I would prefer deeper reflection and nicer clarity. Here's an example of polished and not polished. You'll note a difference. At about 1 min 14 secs, you will see some good clarity

Full on 3 stage polishing job
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 04:37 PM   #21
AinsYaris
Crispy

Drives: 2007 Yaris LE
I realiize this thread is a year old, so my comments are simply to offer a different perspective.

A dual action polisher (Porter Cable is a good brand) with a foam polishing pad will not burn through clearcoat using a quality All in One product (Optimum Poli-Seal is a good one).

The AIO when applied using a 5" white lake country foam pad does three jobs in one step.

Cleans, removes light imperfections (swirls) and seals all in one step.

This is perfect for this situation where the paint is in good shape and will not harm the paint.

Once you machine polish you will not go back to hand polishing.

It works equally well with soft foam pad and wax.

I can apply wax to a full size sedan in less than 10 minutes easy.

Just my experience after 4 years of practicing on my 2001 daily driver (not a Yaris).
Old 10-26-2016, 02:13 PM   #22
justjesus

All In Ones (AIO) can be good, indeed. If one just wants a light "polish" job to clean up the paint, while adding protection...easy.

I've also used Klasse All in One
Poorboy's World Polish with Carnauba (and Polish with Sealant)
HD Speed

All three are good products. HD Speed, IME, can do more correction. Still, I prefer the others for lighter duty
Old 03-15-2018, 10:34 AM   #23
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
A dual action polisher and a polish like Meguiar's Ultimate Polish will remove very fine swirl marks. I have been using Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze - an acrylic product - for years. It is the most durable and long-lasting product I have ever used.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 03-15-2018 at 08:24 PM.
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:35 PM   #24
justjesus

The Klasse stuff isn't the easiest (user friendly) products to use, though. Can be a bit tougher to remove the residue.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:31 PM   #25
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjesus View Post
The Klasse stuff isn't the easiest (user friendly) products to use, though. Can be a bit tougher to remove the residue.
I use the method outlined in this link. It definitely makes removal easier. I can do my van in about 20 minutes - after it's washed and towel-dried, of course.

https://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-...de-and-review/

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 07-26-2018, 02:41 PM   #26
justjesus

20 min is pretty darn good.

Thanks for the link.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:03 PM   #27
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjesus View Post
20 min is pretty darn good.

Thanks for the link.
I know, it seems fast, but the method in the link makes the job very quick, especially if there are already a few coats on the vehicle. The first coat is a bit more labour intensive. Subsequent coats are definitely quicker.