Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-01-2018, 09:38 AM   #1
Embra76

Drives: Yaris 1.3 petrol, 5 door, 2006
Help identifying part of the bumper

Hello

My first post here - please be gentle with me :-)

A bit is coming off the front of my Yaris - I have (hopefully) attached a picture. Having felt around to see what's what, it's obvious that it was damaged before I had the car and was just duct-taped back on, and that repair is failing now.

It looks to me very much like it simply clips on... and so, I could buy a new one and fit it myself. To give you an idea of my competence, I would happily do something like change a wheel (following instructions) or replace the battery, but if it gets more complicated than that I'd take to a garage.

The problem is, I don't know what the broken thing is called, and so I'm having no luck looking it up online. Can anyone help?

If I'm being naive and replacing it is more complicated than I think, then that would be really helpful to know too! Many thanks for any and all help.

Thanks
Richard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yaris_bumper.JPG (248.4 KB, 35 views)
Embra76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:27 AM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
That looks to me like what we call in North America the Home Depot Spoiler. It is a modification made by vehicle owners, and is simply a strip of garage door weather seal taped and/or screwed into place along the bottom of the bumper cover.

I don't know about the European market, but in North America, no such lip spoiler was offered OEM.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 10-01-2018, 01:10 PM   #3
Embra76

Drives: Yaris 1.3 petrol, 5 door, 2006
Many thanks for the reply!

I would be surprised if this was a home-spun modification, since the previous owner (a friend of mine) wouldn't have done that, and the one before him was the Reverend somebody-or-other. But now you've given me that thought, I can see that the way it's fastened on does look a bit "unofficial"...

There are no shortage of (UK market) Yarises around here, so I'll keep my eyes open and see whether any others have one. Thanks again! It just wouldn't have occurred to me to check that.

All the best
Richard
Embra76 is offline   Reply With Quote