Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-06-2019, 12:04 AM   #1
RMcG

Drives: 2008 Yaris Base Hatchback
Has anybody used this DIY clear coat repair method?

Has anybody used the DIY clear coat repair method in this youtube video at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbSIjsUeWZQ . I am thinking seriously about using this method.

It seems to be a credible and well-done video with lots of positive comments. My clear coat is peeling primarily on the roof of the car and a few other smaller areas on other horizontal surfaces. I do not have the money to get a paint job on the entire car. In addition, even though my car exterior is in pretty good shape after 11 years, including weathering a bad hail storm, the exterior is not really worth spending lots of money on. This looks like an economical solution that will at least help protect the paint and make the car look a some better from a 6 ft distance away.

Has anybody used this DIY clear coat repair method? Does anybody have any comments on this method?

The car has about 100K miles on it and is still running well. I'd like to keep it going for several more years.

Thanks,

R.
RMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:50 AM   #2
bladesmith6

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
well his technique is not completely wrong but he did take shortcuts. my blazing blue started peeling years ago and i started wet sanding all the places it popped off, the down side is the color coat is super thin so some places i hit the primer. thats why body shops usually wont do this, especially on cars like ours. if you prep it right it will stick but as you can see the results are less than perfect. i personally am going to plasti dip my car instead of trying to reclear. ideally you have to sand everything down to a smooth surface, shoot the color because our paint is so thin and then shoot the clear. just beware that anywhere you don't get all the clear off you will have white spots.
bladesmith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:01 PM   #3
RMcG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladesmith6 View Post
well his technique is not completely wrong but he did take shortcuts. .... if you prep it right it will stick but as you can see the results are less than perfect. i personally am going to plasti dip my car instead of trying to reclear.
Thanks bladesmith. My main objective is to protect the paint that is already on the car and the underlying body, rather than for it to look super good. I would like to drive the car several more years, since it is in good shape mechanically.

Can you tell me more about plasti dip? I looked at DipYourCar.com , is it possible to only plasti dip part of a car I wonder? Since plasti dip is rubber based, I guess there is no clear plasti dip. Is DipYourCar.com the only vendor?

Thanks,

R.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:12 AM   #4
bladesmith6

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
Thats the place to look, they have many videos on youtube including a total car recoat. you can definitely do individual panels and emblems and wheels. but the gloss will not come anywhere close to the paint so you woudl; want to pick a contrasting color or do the whole car. they have a pro-grade product that actually has better gloss than factory paint under the Autoflex name but i think you have to be a commercial installer to get it. for your needs the regular plastidip or Performance series(lays smoother) would be fine.
bladesmith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:10 PM   #5
RMcG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladesmith6 View Post
Thats the place to look, they have many videos on youtube including a total car recoat. you can definitely do individual panels and emblems and wheels. but the gloss will not come anywhere close to the paint so you woudl; want to pick a contrasting color or do the whole car. they have a pro-grade product that actually has better gloss than factory paint under the Autoflex name but i think you have to be a commercial installer to get it. for your needs the regular plastidip or Performance series(lays smoother) would be fine.
Thanks for the advice bladesmith. I will look into it more. I am presently thinking of doing large areas (e.g. the roof) with plasti-dip for the time being to get protection, without worrying about matching to the original paint, and then removing the plasti-dip some time down the road when convenient.

And also doing some smaller areas with actual matched paint and clear coat from cans. There is another poster, 06YarisRS, who has experience with this method of using matched paint and he has posted quite a bit on it.

The prep is less for plasti-dip (than for paint) and it is reversible, so I think the plast-dip for larger areas for now is a good solution to get protection for now.

Thanks again,

R.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:31 PM   #6
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
I've been debating doing similar clear coat fix to mine....for a long time!

His process is similar to what I was planning. Very similar.

Been going back and forth with this, plasti-dip, and vehicle wrap. This can method seems to cheapest route. But also, so much prep to get decent results
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:44 AM   #7
RMcG

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjesus View Post
I've been debating doing similar clear coat fix to mine....for a long time!

His process is similar to what I was planning. Very similar.

Been going back and forth with this, plasti-dip, and vehicle wrap. This can method seems to cheapest route. But also, so much prep to get decent results
Thanks for your response JustJesus. Can you please describe more of what you mean by the prep that is necessary for Plasti-dip to get a good response?

Thanks,

R.

Tags
clear, coat, diy, repair