Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-29-2019, 02:09 AM   #1
RMcG

Drives: 2008 Yaris Base Hatchback
Can I attach iPod headphone jack to speakers?

I have a 2008 Toyota Yaris 3 door hatchback base model. It doesn't even have a rear windshield wiper. I bought it new and never paid the extra money to put a radio (or CD or tape player) in it.

A while back, I called a local county sheriff's office and they told me it was OK to use headphones if I only used them on/in one ear. So thinking it was legal, I have been listening to books on tape (and occasionally music) with one earphone of a typical two earpiece headphone for a couple of years. A relative just told me that the sheriff's office probably misunderstood me and that what I have been doing is illegal.

The iPod has a jack for the headphones of course. I am wondering if there is some way I could connect the iPod headphone jack to the car speakers and dispense with the headphone and be legal.

QUESTION: Is there a way to do this?

Any other comments will be welcomed.

Thanks,

R.
RMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 02:52 PM   #2
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
Without a radio headunit that has an aux input, no. The ipod will need to be amplified by the radio to get any useable sound from the speakers.

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 06:14 PM   #3
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Do what I do in my kayak.

Get yourself a little portable speaker and connect to it with either Bluetooth or aux. Legal and will sound a whole lot better than one ear bud.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:26 AM   #4
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post

Get yourself a little portable speaker and connect to it with either Bluetooth or aux. Legal and will sound a whole lot better than one ear bud.
This is probably the cheapest, easiest and best option.

Old 11-30-2019, 07:26 PM   #5
Niki Knuckles

Drives: RS
Don't be cheap, get a head unit you can interface with. Check the classified.
Niki Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 08:08 PM   #6
RMcG

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstyota View Post
Without a radio headunit that has an aux input, no. The ipod will need to be amplified by the radio to get any useable sound from the speakers.
Thanks myfirstyota,

By radio headunit with an auxilliary input do you mean a radio/CD player installed in the car that is connected to the speakers via the factory plug-in wire harness? Or is a headunit something else? I am pretty good with the concepts, but not the latest terminology & technology. The output from the iPod will then plug in to the aux input and will be amplified and sent out the the speakers that came with the car new, correct?

I may install an actual radio/CD player with an input for a digital device such as an iPod. I was looking at some youtube videos and it looks easy to install one. I may temporize with a cheaper solution before I do the radio/CD player though.

Thanks,

R.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:16 PM   #7
RMcG

Quote:

Thanks Wee Yari and everybody else for your replies. I have actually done some investigation since the original post and it appears that PC/multimedia speakers that have an auxilliary input and the can be powered by DC or AC via an inverter plugged into the car's 12-volt cigarette lighter will probably work. I think I might go with this cheaper alternative first and the more expensive head unit later (as suggested by myfirstyota and seconded by knuckles).

R.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:12 AM   #8
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
JBL has a sale going on for their portable Flip 4 speakers. It doubles as a hands free speaker as well if you want to make calls. I would go that route vs computer speakers.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 12:11 PM   #9
WeeYari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
JBL has a sale going on for their portable Flip 4 speakers. It doubles as a hands free speaker as well if you want to make calls. I would go that route vs computer speakers.
He might as well buy a HU vs that class of speaker. Hell, this past summer I got a freebie in a case of Coors that functions as a hands free speaker. Does it have the best sound? No, but for a promotional freebie it is amazingly good. Point is, $20 or so will get OP going nicely.

This is what I use in my kayak. It fits nicely in cupholders.
https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Du.../dp/B079PDLDQ1
Old 12-01-2019, 03:18 PM   #10
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
He might as well buy a HU vs that class of speaker. Hell, this past summer I got a freebie in a case of Coors that functions as a hands free speaker. Does it have the best sound? No, but for a promotional freebie it is amazingly good. Point is, $20 or so will get OP going nicely.

This is what I use in my kayak. It fits nicely in cupholders.
https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Du.../dp/B079PDLDQ1
I can guarantee that the JBL will have better sound quality and much higher volume over that. I got mine on sale for 60 bucks, and I'm pretty sure you can't get a quality HU for that price (yes, I'm aware of those cheap HU's). I've learned early on that you get what you pay for. So why spend more money having to redo something?

If it were me, I'd skip the portable speaker idea and just install a HU into the car. But the OP said that wasn't an option atm, and mentioned having to lug around a computer speaker system and use an inverter, which to me, is cumbersome and a safety risk (unless the speakers are bolted down some how).
Old 12-01-2019, 03:21 PM   #11
Kaotic Lazagna

Also, one of the reviews on that portable speaker mentions it cuts out at the first sentence of audiobooks, which is what the OP is listening to (but I can't see why that would happen).
Old 12-01-2019, 09:11 PM   #12
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

I believe a proper aftermarket CD player with bluetooth and an aux input is best. They can be had cheap, used, or maybe a cyber monday sale?

Bluetooth for hands free calling/audio streaming, aux input for the iPod's headphone jack, and a tuner for radio. I think it's the best option to keep distracted driving at a minimum. Think about it... do you need to look at your car radio to adjust volume, station, or next track? I dont. I know exactly where it is... every time.

Old 12-03-2019, 02:05 AM   #13
RMcG

Thanks everybody,

I tested some PC speakers today and the sound is not loud enough, so I have concluded that a headunit or radio/cd player with an auxiliary input jack or bluetooth is the best option as many of you have suggested. I looked at some youtube videos on installation and it looks like such a unit would be pretty easy to install. I just need to make sure that I get one that fits. Any tips on installation would be appreciated.

Thanks,

R.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:31 AM   #14
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcG View Post
Thanks everybody,

I tested some PC speakers today and the sound is not loud enough, so I have concluded that a headunit or radio/cd player with an auxiliary input jack or bluetooth is the best option as many of you have suggested. I looked at some youtube videos on installation and it looks like such a unit would be pretty easy to install. I just need to make sure that I get one that fits. Any tips on installation would be appreciated.

Thanks,

R.
Get it from Crutchfield. I have ordered at least two head units from them, and they've always included free installation gear (wire harnesses and dash kits). Not sure if that's something they always do, or if I just ordered at the right time. You can even live chat with them to see which head unit they would suggest based on your needs.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:40 AM   #15
WeeYari

If budget is a concern, check eBay for options such as this https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F193071735956

OEM fitment so no trim kits to mess with which kind of look like crap.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:10 AM   #16
Niki Knuckles

Drives: RS
Go to the Flea Market this weekend...
https://youtu.be/5BuXY76ZS5A
KENWOOD, JVC, Pioneer...

As you said, It's not hard. All you need is a shopping list.

Last edited by Niki Knuckles; 12-03-2019 at 11:31 AM.
Niki Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ipod, jack, speakers