Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-24-2015, 10:16 AM   #1
YodaBird

Drives: Gray
Polish / Buffer ?

I'm looking to purchase a buffer, I read one should not purchase a buffer and instead purchase a polisher ?

Most of the polishers I've seen are small, not good for a car, unless you want to take twelve hours to complete polishing a car ? Any suggestions on the best buffer/polisher one should buy ?
YodaBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:47 PM   #2
sg11

Drives: 2010 Liftback
What kind of paint issues are you experiencing?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
sg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:07 PM   #3
YodaBird

Paint Issues ?
Old 09-26-2015, 03:12 PM   #4
sg11

Is there anything wrong with the paint that you need to machine polish it?

Old 09-26-2015, 05:59 PM   #5
YodaBird

At this point, there is nothing wrong with the paint, using a machine polish should make it easier to buff/polish the car, no ?
Old 09-27-2015, 01:51 PM   #6
sg11

Yea but if there is nothing wrong with the paint and doesn't need to be corrected there is really no need for a machine polisher, at least in my opinion. I would be thinking about which last step product you wanna use to keep the paint looking good whether it be a wax or a sealant. I highly recommend a sealant...

Old 09-27-2015, 02:38 PM   #7
YodaBird

What sealant do you recommend ?

If the paint is good or close to good then a machine polisher is not recommended, isn't there anything that I can get that automates a little considering someone older may use it who doesn't have the hand strength ?
Old 09-27-2015, 06:41 PM   #8
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Given our very thin clear coat, if not operated with great care and attention, a powered buffer can burn through the clear quite easily.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:24 PM   #9
YodaBird

There must be buffer that is sensitive to our thin clear coat, that won't effect the coat ?
Old 09-27-2015, 08:18 PM   #10
sg11

I use Prima Hydro Max. Its a great spray sealant that is super easy to use. I spray it on when I'm drying my car and wipe it off with a soft microfiber. I use it on pretty much the whole exterior of the car except the tires. Doesn't turn my trim white. Doesn't dust up. Helps keep the surface slick when drying so the towel glides smoother over the surface so you don't marr the paint. I use it once every few months. According to the bottle, using it on a dry surface will yield better durability though. So sometimes I'll quickly go over the car again once it's dry. They have another product called Hydro that I use as a booster for the other times when I'm drying.

Last edited by sg11; 09-27-2015 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:25 PM   #11
sg11

It's all depends on the agressiveness of polisher type, the polishing pad you're using on the polisher and the actual polish you're using. Basically using the least aggressive combo of the three will still effect the clear coat/paint.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:06 PM   #12
YodaBird

sq11 - You suggest not to machine buff / polish a 3rd Gen Yaris ?
Old 09-28-2015, 05:58 PM   #13
sg11

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaBird View Post
sq11 - You suggest not to machine buff / polish a 3rd Gen Yaris ?
Only if you're really unhappy with the condition of your paint. You always wanna start with the least aggressive method to correct paint issues which for example would be a non abrasive paint cleaner applied by hand with a soft microfiber applicator. This will usually make a good improvement in the appearance of the paint. But if are still dealing with things like stubborn water spots, stains or if you have swirls you might wanna research a trained reputable detailer who has the tools like a paint thickness gauge who can help to correct these issues with a polisher but can be mindful not to remove too much paint/clear coat using the gauge.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:46 PM   #14
YodaBird

If I'm happy with the condition of the paint, then hand buff the car, correct ? As machine buffing may wipe off the coat of the car with the machine, correct ?

There is no machine that may wipe off the coat of the paint ? The only machine that is guaranteed safe from removing the coat from the car is by doing it by hand !
Old 10-09-2015, 07:13 PM   #15
sg11

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaBird View Post
If I'm happy with the condition of the paint, then hand buff the car, correct ? As machine buffing may wipe off the coat of the car with the machine, correct ?

There is no machine that may wipe off the coat of the paint ? The only machine that is guaranteed safe from removing the coat from the car is by doing it by hand !
If your happy with the paint just wash it and then dry it and use the Prima Hydro Max or Prima Hydro with a soft microfiber when you're drying it.

Some tips:
If you don't already, get yourself two clean 5 gallon buckets. One for the clean water, one for the dirty. A grit guard for one or both of the buckets. I use just one for the dirty bucket. Got it from amazon. Get some soft microfiber towels. I use the Chemical Guys gold 16x16 ones. They come in a pack of 12. They are a good value. Also from amazon. Wash and remove the tags from the towels before you use them. I use All Free and Clear. It's free of dyes and perfumes that can mess with the towels. Dry the towels on low heat and no fabric softener. Get your self 2 microfiber wash mitts. I use the Chemical Guys Extra Thick Multi-Fiber Microfiber Wash Mitts. Again from amazon. One for the body of the car and a separate one for the wheels and tires. Wash and dry the mitt and towels you use on the body separate from the mitt and towels you use on the wheels. I store the towels I use on the body in separate bags from the wheel/tire towels. For the car wash,I initially use Prima Hydro Wash before I use Hydro Max the first time. I then switch to either Chemical Guys Citrus wash and Gloss or Mr. Pink. Seems like a lot but you once get the routine down, its easy. And if notice any bird "stuff" on your paint, remove asap, because Ive never come across anything will protect the paint from bird stuff etching itself into the paint.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:06 PM   #16
YodaBird

I may sell the car, times are getting too tough.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:20 AM   #17
dobbiedoo
Dobbiedoo

Drives: 2009 5 door Hb Yaris
polishing

Go on the site chemical guys and get all the free information you want about taking care of your cars finish. This is what they do for a profession. On their site there is a learning center or call and speak to one of the technicians. I purchased products from them and I am using a polisher, and have not burned the clear coat or the paint. My opinion the paint looks better than when you do by hand, and way less time.
dobbiedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:11 PM   #18
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The best buffer/polisher you can purchase for your Yaris: