Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-17-2017, 03:27 AM   #1
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
My DIY door ding repair

Spoiler alert: There are no pictures. I tried taking some but I just couldn't get it to show up on camera. I'm sure a better photographer could have but I was fighting reflection in every shot and I didn't want to waste time on photography that I needed to spend on body work.

About 6 months after I bought my shiny new car I noticed a door ding in the rear drivers side door. Some oblivious moron in a parking lot inflicted Hüsker's first battle scar. She's had a few more since then. Scratches and paint chips mostly but thankfully no more dings. That first one is always the worst though. Everyday for the past 2 1/2 years I would see that ding and loose a little bit of faith in humanity. Something had to be done.

It was about a nickel sized ding, no paint damage. A couple of times over the years I had thought about taking it to a body shop or a paintless dent repair place but I never did. If this was a Mercedes it would have been in the shop the next day but this is a cheap car and I am a cheap bastard. I figured there would just be another one eventually and I didn't want to start a never ending cycle. Still it bothered me.

About a year ago I tried the hair dryer / compressed air can trick to no effect. (Gee it looked so good on YouTube.)

Recently I returned to YouTube and spent way too much time watching paintless dent repair videos, about half of which came with dire "don't try this at home" warnings. Understandable, but today I found myself with a free day at home and decided to try it. So off came the door card and the plastic sheeting. Thankfully the dent was in an easily accessible area. First I tried pushing it out with my finger. There was some movement but not much. Then I tried using a rounded off pencil eraser. Just pushing gently at first then a little more forcefully. Again some improvement but still very much a door ding. I moved on to a screwdriver handle and a Sharpie marker end (surprisingly pretty effective) before I came to the pièce de résistance, a marble inside a 15mm socket. I was able to work that around inside the door and almost totally eliminated the ding. There is still a very slight maybe 1/8" crease visible but you really have to look for it whereas before the ding was pretty obvious even from a casual glance. I would say at least 95% of the area of the door ding was returned to the proper contour. I am very pleased with the result, especially considering I don't have any experience with body work and I don't have any auto body repair tools. And free is good too.

So this is something that is doable for an average DIYer. It took me about 2 hours working very cautiously and slowly. I can see how it would be possible to screw this up if you get too aggressive, so be like the turtle. Slow and steady wins the race.

Next up: I'm going to try the boiling water trick to try and repair my rear bumper. Last week I noticed the horizontal flat surface (like where the hatch opens) had a slight upward bulge. Seems that moron #2 hit and deformed my bumper fascia while parallel parking. Ah, the joys of driving, and especially parking, in NYC.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:12 AM   #2
Goosecreekjoey

Drives: 2008 yaris
Hey NYC you got some balls to try that, could of been 2or 3 dents yea. Good job. Anyway. Your so right about sometime slowing things down and TAKE YOUR TIME. Good luck with bumper, don't mess up that paint job.
Goosecreekjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:24 PM   #3
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
I bought a PDR rod and tap down kit. Pretty hard to use, and I somehow made the creased horizontal door ding into a shallow vertical dent. lol. I guess having a line board is important, cuz I was just going off of the reflection of my neighbors yard. At least I got the crease out, which I read is nearly impossible.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:25 AM   #4
bairjo

Door ding....is that a new ring tone for a droid or a i phone?
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:20 PM   #5
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
door ding or ding dong....i'm confused
Old 02-07-2018, 12:32 AM   #6
ABSPLASTIC

Drives: Twin-charged rotary V8 w/nos
I've used a $30+ suction style body puller picked up on Craigslist back in 2012 on my 1999 Forester and removed much of visible crease/dent on my trunk. I'm a cheap bastard as well.
ABSPLASTIC is offline   Reply With Quote