Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-12-2017, 09:00 PM   #19
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
BTW ... You can not notice it in my pic but my stock chrome lug nuts are starting to rust .
Seven New York winters finally got to them.

So, I ordered new ones (e-Bay) which seem to be higher quality and are 'triple plated".
Although they are not exact copies of the stock lugs, they do look just about the same.

One issue is, they need a 3/4" socket instead of a 13/16" like the stock lugs do.

So with knowledge that the stock lug wrench is about worthless....
If you you had to remove a tire with it due to a flat, you might not be able to remove the lug nuts with it
I tried (out of curiosity) and i could not loosen any nuts with the stock lug wrench .

Remember the "Big bang Theory" episode where they could not use a stock lug wrench either to change a flat away from home?
It was funny on TBBT as good comedy must have a bit of realty to it.... but, what if that actually happened to you?

So, today I went to Walmart and got a very nice "4-way" lug wrench for $12. Both problems are solved.

If you would actually use a torque wrench to properly torque the lugs to 103Nm and use anti-seize or other water resistant lubricant (I use white lithium grease), you will see that the stock lug nut wrench is just the right length to achieve similar specified torque when tightening and long enough to break them loose, by anyone. Short maths show that properly torqued and lubed threads won't require much more torque to break loose than it was required when you installed them. I use a torque wrench the same length as the stock lug wrench and it's a breeze to do.

Using an impact wrench on chrome hardware is not recommended, that's why a lot of people both over torque the lug nuts, without any lubing, damaging the threads, and chip off the chrome plating, then complain how rusty and stuck the lug nuts are.
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:33 PM   #20
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Easier said.... when you have your wheels removed for a state (safety) inspection and for tire rotations
It goes goes without saying that lug nuts are removed and tightened with a impact wrench.... and no lube is ever applied.

However, this Wednesday my Yaris will be inspected and the tires will be rotated...... yearly ritual .

When I get the car home, I will remove the stock lugs and install the new ones.
Be assured that I will oil the threads and apply the proper torque.

In any event, a 4-way lug wrench always makes things easier.

Last edited by RedRide; 06-12-2017 at 10:21 PM.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:03 PM   #21
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
Hey, if it's for safety inspection, you have all the right to ask the mechanic to re-install the wheels per Toyota specifications, aka properly lubed and torqued ;)
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:10 AM   #22
RedRide

If.....If......

There is an old saying.. .. "If the queen had balls, she would be the king"
In other words, "If " can't always have relevance and just proposes the possibility of relevance.

Also, one can asks for anything but, that doesn't mean that they will get it.

Last edited by RedRide; 06-13-2017 at 12:26 AM.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:16 AM   #23
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
RedRide, your car looks very nice. Like that colour. The stock black steel wheels with trim rings and centre cap is great! Toyota should have done that on this car instead of the plastic wheel covers.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:55 AM   #24
DiCaprio
Just a Gaijin

Drives: 2006 Yaris 4 door 1.3l
When you are using anti seize or any other lube on the lugs nuts, you need to know that this 103Nm manufacture torque rating is always a dry rating.
So if i was you i'd stay away from experiments like this if you are not aware of what you are doing and just mount your wheels without any lube and the dry torque rating.

Watch this video. He explains it pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3ndeXiZUeM

Last edited by DiCaprio; 06-13-2017 at 09:06 AM.
DiCaprio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:28 AM   #25
RedRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiCaprio View Post
When you are using anti seize or any other lube on the lugs nuts, you need to know that this 103Nm manufacture torque rating is always a dry rating.
So if i was you i'd stay away from experiments like this if you are not aware of what you are doing and just mount your wheels without any lube and the dry torque rating.

Watch this video. He explains it pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3ndeXiZUeM

Some seem to need the last word.on this...
So, I will l let them have it .

I will just say (after all the hyperbole subsides) that they are only lug nuts and not some bolt on the space station.

Last edited by RedRide; 06-13-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:01 PM   #26
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
I always found that color interesting, and have only seen one or two in person, but from far away.

The next time you do a full detail, you should polish the paint. I personally like Meguiar's Deep Crystal Polish. It'll bring out even more depth in your carmine red color! It shifted my blazing blue to look like it had some green in it (hard to explain, but the color reminded me of bayside blue on the Nissan Skylines).
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:24 PM   #27
RedRide

Well, what a difference a year made!

The clear coat is now pealing and blistering almost everywhere, except for the front and rear bumpers. It's a disaster!

It's now in a body shop right across the road from my apartment complex for basically a full repaint.
It's not going to be cheap but my '09 only has about 16,500 miles on it so, it is well worth spending some cash on it.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:39 PM   #28
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Hopefully the respray lasts a long time! Keep it clean and protected (waxed) - hopefully that helps
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote