Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-11-2020, 01:21 AM   #1
amypang

Drives: Toyota Yaris (XP150)
Concealing scaratches

There are some scratches on my car. I don't know what made those scratches on the car. However, It just like someone rubbed sand on the car body very hard. I need to conceal those scratches until I get the car repaired. Does anybody know how to do it better?
amypang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 04:07 PM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
It depends on how deep the scratches went down in the paint. A full paint correction detailing process may be needed, unless the scratches went down to the metal.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:39 AM   #3
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
If the scratches are not deep - not through the clear coat - you can lightly wet sand with 2000 or 2500 grit and then polish. The paint will look flat and dull before you polish. This is normal. In most cases, if your fingernail noticeably catches on the scratch, it's too deep to sand and polish out. You can also put touch up paint in the scratches, let it cure really well and then wet sand and polish.

Any chance of posting some pics? That would help a lot.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 08:57 PM   #4
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
If the scratches are not deep - not through the clear coat - you can lightly wet sand with 2000 or 2500 grit and then polish.
I wouldn't bother with wet sanding. The Yaris paint is quite soft and compounding should be sufficient unless it's quite deep....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
if your fingernail noticeably catches on the scratch, it's too deep to sand and polish out. You can also put touch up paint in the scratches, let it cure really well and then wet sand and polish.
Yes, for the most part.

Depending on what touch up system you use, you may want to polish BEFORE applying touch up. Dr. Colorchip system is one such system that suggests polishing before touch up

But this thread is several months old!!! What became of those scratches?
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 12:53 PM   #5
yangluchan

Drives: Yaris 2007
Did u put water on the scratches
If scratches disappear when u put water on it
Then it clear coat scratches

But if scratches did not disappear then went through clear coat
yangluchan is offline   Reply With Quote