Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-27-2009, 10:33 AM   #19
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Graham View Post
Anybody have a WAG (wild-ass-guess) as to the cost of getting a new engine, assuming we have to do that without the assistance of the lube joint?
11101-21061 and 11400-21220 will run about $3200 combined, those are the bare-minimum body-shop-labor-intensive replacement options of new lower block, new head, but re-using everything down to the valve cover and oil pan but none of the guts as far as I can tell.

There's no price listed for the 'full engine assembly' part, 19000-21860, but likely around $4-$4.5k from Toyota.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:39 AM   #20
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
^^^looked like it came with the gaskets...minus head gasket....
I'm noticing a pattern......
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:43 AM   #21
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
Well, the 'partial engine assembly' would be a LOT faster to get into the car, pull accessories, bolt onto new engine, drop the whole she'bang in at once then. Around 8 hours less labor than the 'put everything together' option, which makes it break-even. Maybe a winner if it'd take more than 8 hours to swap bits and bobs for the two-piece option.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:49 AM   #22
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWings View Post
Well, the 'partial engine assembly' would be a LOT faster to get into the car, pull accessories, bolt onto new engine, drop the whole she'bang in at once then. Around 8 hours less labor than the 'put everything together' option, which makes it break-even. Maybe a winner if it'd take more than 8 hours to swap bits and bobs for the two-piece option.

so guess a better ball-park would be at least $4,000-$5000 with parts & labor
I'm noticing a pattern......
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:56 AM   #23
SpaceShot

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5 speed HB
I would agree with the others and try for a completely new engine. Short of that, it needs to be a full rebuild.

Even if you could free the pistons again, given the error and other factors, the camshaft bearings are probably shot. You also need the conrods pulled out and checked for stress. It is amazing she didn't put one through the block.

The only thing worse than a noisy misbehaving engine, is a noisy engine that suddenly goes silent.

Also for a full rebuild, get the head gasket done, and make sure the head is checked for flatness before going back on. You want to avoid any future leaks as best you can.

If the local dealer does the work, try to get a cheaper rental from them. Otherwise Budget can be the least expensive unless you have a discount through some sort of group association with one of the others. Also check with her insurance and the shops, many will at least reimburse the rental expense as part of the repair charges.

Otherwise try rearranging the schedule such that you can do without the car for 2-3 days a week and try something like Zip Car for the remaining days.
http://www.zipcar.com/

Keep all the records and receipts, even notes of phone calls.

Good luck...
SpaceShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:19 PM   #24
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
In your letter say that you are filing a official complaint with the beaura of automotive repair BAR, consumer affairs, and the BBB. The BAR will help you get your car repaired. Just throwing out those names will usually cause quick action in helping you because they have the power to shut the shop down.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:31 PM   #25
Creeper

Drives: Silver 2DLB Yaris
Send a message via AIM to Creeper
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...Q5fAccessories

heres one on ebay less then 200 miles maybe worth it for under 2k?
Creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:42 PM   #26
06silveryaris

Drives: 2006 yaris
hey Frank have them pay for the rental most rental car companies can direct bill these kinds of companies. I take a time of work just to stand out front of there shop and hand everyone who drove there a flyer with your situation.haha then watch people turn around would be great
06silveryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:39 AM   #27
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
slightly better idea... find a local "houseless"(the new "PC" term) person and pay them to stand there with said flyers...

i like this smiley...
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:03 PM   #28
Syroyizhka

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
any updates on what happend?
Syroyizhka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:41 PM   #29
Pitt Yaris

Drives: Flint Mica Sedan
That sucks, hopefully they do right. Also, I changed my oil on the Yaris for the first time today (First 5k miles). All I can say is, EVERYONE that owns a Yaris should change their own oil. It's 10x easier than my 97 cavalier was. The filter is so convinient and easy to get to.
Pitt Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:43 PM   #30
Syroyizhka

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
i'm scared to change transmission oil for some reason
Syroyizhka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:17 PM   #31
Pitt Yaris

Drives: Flint Mica Sedan
The hardest part of changing your own oil on a yaris is getting a jack under the car, haha. Everything else is cake.
Pitt Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:42 AM   #32
Frank Graham

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Well, guys, here's an update on the saga so far:

The quicklube joint had insurance. They are stepping up to the plate to authorize repairs/rental car as soon as we can get the vehicle seen by a mechanic. Ins. co issue is they want the owner to pay a portion of the PARTS costs, since we will be installing new Toyota parts (the only kind the Toyota dealer will install) and the engine was, after all, used (70,000 miles at the time).

Help me with advising the owner on the decision she has to make: should she pay roughly $600/800 for her share of new Toyota parts (ins. co paying the rest, plus ins. co paying for all labor) (and in return she gets the warranty of the dealer and Toyota (1 year) for the work) OR

Should she go for an independent engine shop, use remanufactured parts, pay roughly nothing on the parts (since reman parts will likely be considered by the ins. co as same as the used parts taken out) and get a limited warranty from the independent shop and limited warranty on the reman parts?

Looked at another way: is having Toyota dealer and new Toyota parts worth $600/800 over the independent shop/reman parts?

What do we tell her?
Frank Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:46 AM   #33
SIPNGAS
I LOVE my Yaris!

Drives: 2007 Polar White LB
Send a message via MSN to SIPNGAS Send a message via Yahoo to SIPNGAS
Personally, I'd pay the 800 for all new parts. But I'm no expert...

Lisa
aka SIPNGAS
SIPNGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:47 AM   #34
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomster View Post
you need to make friends with people that own houses with garages lol
I am always offering to change my friend's/relative's oil to save them money and get synthetic in their engines. I hate to see people waste money, and I actually enjoy changing oil! Makes me feel warm and fuzzy, and greasy too!
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:58 AM   #35
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Graham View Post
Well, guys, here's an update on the saga so far:

The quicklube joint had insurance. They are stepping up to the plate to authorize repairs/rental car as soon as we can get the vehicle seen by a mechanic. Ins. co issue is they want the owner to pay a portion of the PARTS costs, since we will be installing new Toyota parts (the only kind the Toyota dealer will install) and the engine was, after all, used (70,000 miles at the time).

Help me with advising the owner on the decision she has to make: should she pay roughly $600/800 for her share of new Toyota parts (ins. co paying the rest, plus ins. co paying for all labor) (and in return she gets the warranty of the dealer and Toyota (1 year) for the work) OR

Should she go for an independent engine shop, use remanufactured parts, pay roughly nothing on the parts (since reman parts will likely be considered by the ins. co as same as the used parts taken out) and get a limited warranty from the independent shop and limited warranty on the reman parts?

Looked at another way: is having Toyota dealer and new Toyota parts worth $600/800 over the independent shop/reman parts?

What do we tell her?

If all prior maintenance (other than oil changes) has been done at the Toyota dealership, I would push for making the quicklube place pay to maintain the same "level of service". If the prior scheduled maintenance had not been done, or not been done by Toyota, then what she was offered is probably as good as it gets. In that case, I'd probably put out the extra $600-$800 to have a brand new engine with a factory warranty.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:48 PM   #36
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Brand new engine with one year warranty, FTW! $800 is the way to go.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote