Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-04-2022, 11:36 AM   #1
2010yaristoyota

Drives: 2010 yaris sedan
how to remove ROOF on 2010 yaris sedan? (hail damage)

Hello. 2010 Yaris sedan.

Question: how do you remove the exterior ROOF?

Roof of car was damaged via hail. Insurance cut a check, but looking to buy a new roof myself and swap it in (shops around here backed up for months)

I have scoured the internet and Youtube but so far not finding what I need.

Any insight or links? Have inspected it but its not obvious how it comes off. Thanks.

-
I see these part numbers, unclear if I just need the roof or also the other parts listed (the bacon / support strips in diagram etc)

Also, any links to useful service manuals would be helpful. Not the generic drivers manual in the glovebox. Thanks.
2010yaristoyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 01:39 PM   #2
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
look up how you do the roof on something like vintage camaro...its not the "exact" same job but its still going to be the same procedure and work..just a different shape...

let me be clear, ive done roof replacement on vintage stuff, and if you dont get it right youll taco the roof....i had to redo a 69 barracuda fastback that a pro shop taco'ed when they replaced it...patiance meticulase attention to detail and measuring everything a million times and going SLOW is the only way to get a roof swap right

i still cringe at the fact ill have to do my 58 ford and keep back burning it....its an UGLY pain in the rear job, and almost all cars are the same procedure, and id HIGHLY recomend removing ALL of the interior, but DO NOT remove the doors(keep em shut too keeps the body square) as when you start welding cinders will go EVERYWHERE

both front and rear glass come out
everything keeping the headliner in comes out
then you need to seperate the body glue from all the crossmembers of the roof skin
after that locate every spotweld along the drip rails and window openings
drill all spot welds with the correct spot weld drill bit...expect to drill about 100 spot welds

remove replace and re-weld

honestly tho unless you have weird damage in weird spots youd be better off pulling the interior and doing the body work massaging to get them out..replacing a roof is a MASSIVE job and not for the faint of heart.....the body work to fix it will run you 1/4 of the time effort and supplys that it would take to just fix the skin thats on it
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 11:46 AM   #3
2010yaristoyota

Drives: 2010 yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
look up how you do the roof on something like vintage camaro...its not the "exact" same job but its still going to be the same procedure and work..just a different shape...

let me be clear, ive done roof replacement on vintage stuff, and if you dont get it right youll taco the roof....i had to redo a 69 barracuda fastback that a pro shop taco'ed when they replaced it...patiance meticulase attention to detail and measuring everything a million times and going SLOW is the only way to get a roof swap right

i still cringe at the fact ill have to do my 58 ford and keep back burning it....its an UGLY pain in the rear job, and almost all cars are the same procedure, and id HIGHLY recomend removing ALL of the interior, but DO NOT remove the doors(keep em shut too keeps the body square) as when you start welding cinders will go EVERYWHERE

both front and rear glass come out
everything keeping the headliner in comes out
then you need to seperate the body glue from all the crossmembers of the roof skin
after that locate every spotweld along the drip rails and window openings
drill all spot welds with the correct spot weld drill bit...expect to drill about 100 spot welds

remove replace and re-weld

honestly tho unless you have weird damage in weird spots youd be better off pulling the interior and doing the body work massaging to get them out..replacing a roof is a MASSIVE job and not for the faint of heart.....the body work to fix it will run you 1/4 of the time effort and supplys that it would take to just fix the skin thats on it
Thanks for the reply. I assumed the roof I actually see on top of car was just a panel that was far more simply replaced, drilling out welds and the like sounds like overkill work. Dunno. Will have to do more reading.

The ins adjuster actually recommended the roof replacement, thats the only reason I asked. Dunno.
2010yaristoyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 12:51 PM   #4
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010yaristoyota View Post
Thanks for the reply. I assumed the roof I actually see on top of car was just a panel that was far more simply replaced, drilling out welds and the like sounds like overkill work. Dunno. Will have to do more reading.

The ins adjuster actually recommended the roof replacement, thats the only reason I asked. Dunno.
most agents and adjusters know jack about cars and assume everything is a replaceable part

a roof is a structural member so much so its easier to replace an entire floor of a car than it is a roof as the floor is "sectioned" and any heat warping in the welding will never be seen, a lil too much heat in any 1 spot weld in the roof and youll be doing more body work than youd need for the hail damage

lets put it another way..unless the cars exceptionaly valuable TO YOU or is something that cant be easily replaced..id NEVER do a roof on a car

now with all that said, there are a small handfull of cars where the roof is glued in....like the tesla
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote