Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-01-2022, 09:00 PM   #1
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
cv joint and strut quick verification

most of the cv's ive done over the year on various makes nd models have all been relatively simple but always held 1 quirk

wondering if the yaris has any i should know about

normally on most rigs i pop the lower balljoint out to do them, looks a lil tight to get my puller in there, so do the lower strut to spindle bolts hold any alignment adjustments or are they just fixed bolts i can pull without mucking up the alignment

had the joint let go on my way home between shifts ..but managed to nurse it home poping clicking and moaning about 10 or so miles
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 09:47 PM   #2
remcafee

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3 door
good luck getting that lower ball joint loose without a puller, no you will not mess up alignment unless your struts have camber bolts
remcafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 12:21 AM   #3
sh0rtlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by remcafee View Post
good luck getting that lower ball joint loose without a puller, no you will not mess up alignment unless your struts have camber bolts
im going to assume the camber bolts are an aftermarket thing to deal with overlowering and the desire to get more camber?

im used to cars having those bolts allready be camber bolts from the manufacturer

as for the lower balljoint i have a tool that will fit..."if" the cv was out

im just assuming the way to do the CV's on this is to pull the 2 strut bolts and snake it out
Old 12-02-2022, 05:59 PM   #4
remcafee

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3 door
yeah stock bolts dont really mess up aligbment, a half of degree of camber thats it, you can "try" beating the shit of the lower ball joint with a hammer all you will do is dent the knuckle and potentially smash your brake backing plate, trust me, been there, done it, rent the tool from autozone or something
most likely you will either have to loosen the ball joint or tie rod, i cant remember off the top of my head what i did, but its a little more than loosening struts
remcafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 06:25 PM   #5
sh0rtlife

had a bigger issue getting the cv out of the trans than i did anything else...drivers side doesnt give you a spot to really pry against the case to pop the circlip

the trick is pulling out out tward the caliper and all you need do is pull the 2 strut bolts