Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-26-2019, 09:14 PM   #415
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
New exhaust tip installed

I like the look, but wish I'd had the exhaust guy tilt the muffler a little closer to the bumper cover so the tip would be a tad closer. Still looks good, though, I think. I'll get an outdoor shot from a bit farther away. It was dark out when I took these.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:45 PM   #416
heeroyuy01195
Post count means nothing.

Drives: AW11, NCP91, Old Motorcycles
Looks fantastic!
heeroyuy01195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 04:43 PM   #417
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeroyuy01195 View Post
Looks fantastic!
Thanks, dude!

Some pics in next post. It's growing on me.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 08-27-2019, 04:45 PM   #418
06YarisRS

Tip Pics

I really have to get my "rule of thirds" down. Not much of a photographer. Lol.

Old 08-31-2019, 09:15 AM   #419
06YarisRS

Open Loop/Closed Loop Partial Throttle AFRs

The learning continues...

So, I'm seeing approximately stoich AFRs at partial throttle/low boost scenarios. When my throttle is close to maxed (I'll check my TPS via Torque to confirm when open loop kicks in - if in fact that's a variable that can, in and of itself, trigger open loop) I get perfect AFRs in the order of 12:1 or 11.5:1. I haven't noticed any ill effects whatsoever from the stoich AFRs at partial throttle low boost which I see for example if I'm slowly accelerating up a long hill at partial throttle. I actually wish I had and EGT gauge. Actually, Torque may have that option and maybe it can poll an EGT sensor in the car.

The F/IC does have an O2 spoofing function whereby voltages are manipulated to fool the ECU into thinking that a richer AFR is actually stoich, so in this respect closed loop AFR tuning is possible, I guess. At least that's how I think it works. Apparently there was no O2 map included in the F/IC tune that comes with the kit as they couldn't get it to function consistently across cars.

Currently, I am running 91 and sometimes 93 octane.

Any thoughts or observations regarding both my partial throttle/low boost AFRs and or O2 spoofing would be welcomed.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:13 PM   #420
06YarisRS

After a bath and a good rip

I don't know if it's the weather (temp, humidity etc) or the car's ECU learning both fueling at idle and the new shift patterns, but the car is working great. The car hasn't stalled or even bucked at idle the last few times I've driven it. I drove around town and highway for a good hour after work and there were no stalls at stop lights, even idle and the shifting seems to have improved a lot. It's also starting on the first crank now. Before I might have to turn it over 2 or three times. I'm still getting some rich AFRs at light throttle deceleration and very light throttle (more like feathering the pedal) cruise, but oddly the ECU is commanding these AFRs. My 08 pretty much always commands 14.69, very infrequently 13s, but only for a split second.

Anyway, went for a good long drive tonight and entered full boost a half dozen times. The car pulls like crazy and shifts actually quite smoothly. After a good workout, coolant temps never exceeded 195, oil temps under 200, Trans temps around 180 - 190. It is cool out and the highest intake temp I saw tonight was around 80F. Very happy for now!

I still have to tighten my wastegate actuator arm but I'm hitting ~5.5 - 6 psi with the new kit in my BOV (Forge sent me a rebuild kit). Not sure if I really want or need the full 8.5 boost.

Crappy lighting + crappy camera = crappy pics...

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 10-06-2019 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:01 PM   #421
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
great to hear things are running smoother now. So was your BOV faulty?
Old 09-09-2019, 10:26 PM   #422
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
great to hear things are running smoother now. So was your BOV faulty?
Thanks. The car does seem to be running great and it's an absolute blast to drive.

Yeah, the BOV seemed to be bad. I applied equal pressure on both sides and it leaked. I did a rebuild on it but didn't actually test it before installing it.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:54 AM   #423
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
So if you unplug your battery will you have to go through this whole learn process again?
Old 09-10-2019, 09:33 AM   #424
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegamer View Post
So if you unplug your battery will you have to go through this whole learn process again?

That is indeed a good question and I'm purely speculating that the ECU is actually learning to adjust these variables. It may well be environmental factors. Regardless, I'm pleased that it's running well now. I've given up on the hope for stock-like around the clock reliability and consistency but I guess that's part of the equation when turboing a NA car. I have been driving it a lot lately with no issues, but am aware that things could change at any time. I'll keep the thread updated regarding the 'long term' functioning.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:43 AM   #425
Leegamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
That is indeed a good question and I'm purely speculating that the ECU is actually learning to adjust these variables. It may well be environmental factors. Regardless, I'm pleased that it's running well now. I've given up on the hope for stock-like around the clock reliability and consistency but I guess that's part of the equation when turboing a NA car. I have been driving it a lot lately with no issues, but am aware that things could change at any time. I'll keep the thread updated regarding the 'long term' functioning.
Glad to hear it's running great now, though. Sorry, wasn't trying to be a "debbie downer"
Old 09-10-2019, 11:07 AM   #426
06YarisRS

Quote:
Sorry, wasn't trying to be a "debbie downer"
Haha, I didn't take it that way at all, man. You posed a legitimate question about resetting the ECU and losing learned values, for sure. It's definitely something I thought about. See, great minds do think alike! Haha.

Old 09-10-2019, 02:45 PM   #427
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
So cool to hear/see. The car looks great and I can only imagine how much more fun it is to drive over stock. Hopefully given enough time/data, you'll sort the remaining bugs, but it doesn't sound like they're all that bad.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:14 PM   #428
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
So cool to hear/see. The car looks great and I can only imagine how much more fun it is to drive over stock. Hopefully given enough time/data, you'll sort the remaining bugs, but it doesn't sound like they're all that bad.
Yeah, it's fun for sure. I went for a long highway drive this evening and tried out the cruise control. I did get the occasional buck and sweep of the AFR gauge under a certain load and rpm. I eliminated it with the addition of some fuel, but I'm going to solder in the 2.2K resistor because it's sounding a bit like the issue the Scion cars had. Enriching the fuel map cell helps but I think I may have a little glitch in the timing around 3500 and certain other factors associated with a dirty signal. All the Boomslang harnesses have the resistors wired in.

I decided to pull a second gear WOT acceleration this evening. I poured into the throttle at about 30 kmh and the front wheels- more likely 1 wheel - lit up and spun as it entered third gear. Third is the 'funnest' gear as it pulls very hard and long, relatively speaking. I did this pull as I wanted to observe the speedometer to ensure I'm not getting any clutch slippage. The speedo jumped rapidly with tach, so I think I'm good there. This thing would kill with an LSD. It accelerates very hard once it's up over 50 - 60 kmh. Below that it wants to spin like crazy at near full boost. Although the auto is doing quite well, expect it will eventually pack it in even though I wont often be driving like I described above. If/when it dies - or starts to fail - a manual with upgraded clutch will likely replace it. I'd really like a 6-speed.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:35 AM   #429
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Would love to have my ass in the seat of that car.

Use your new found power responsibly and the tranny should serve you well.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:35 AM   #430
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Victory!
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:25 AM   #431
Leegamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Would love to have my ass in the seat of that car.

Use your new found power responsibly and the tranny should serve you well.
Responsibility is overrated, lol
Old 09-11-2019, 09:37 AM   #432
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Responsibility is overrated, lol
Bahah Yaris a/t's are cheap and easy to come by from a wreckers, I say go nuts!

FWIW you may want to swap out your trans fluid for a performance grade fluid like Amsoil or other. May give you some longer life from your trans should you grow an heavy foot!