Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-14-2020, 12:23 AM   #1
yarisdownunder

Drives: 2012 Yaris
Handbrake/Park Brake Sensor Wire

Hi all,

Just installed a new Pioneer double din unit into my 2012 Yaris.
All is working except for the steering wheel controls due to not knowing where the handbreak sensor wire is.
Anyone able to tell me where it is to connect wire it into my head unit please?

Cheers in advance
yarisdownunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 06:14 AM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
I don't have steering wheel controls on my 2008, but on my Kenwood HU, I just connected the "handbrake" wire to a bolt on the dash frame behind the glove box. I was able to view a DVD with the handbrake down. However, I was not actually moving/driving, so I don't know if that mattered. It was the only time I ever tried a DVD. haha. Maybe you can try that???
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:49 AM   #3
alias06

Drives: 2008 Red Toyota Yaris
check the handbrake
alias06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 08:51 PM   #4
yarisdownunder

Drives: 2012 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
I don't have steering wheel controls on my 2008, but on my Kenwood HU, I just connected the "handbrake" wire to a bolt on the dash frame behind the glove box. I was able to view a DVD with the handbrake down. However, I was not actually moving/driving, so I don't know if that mattered. It was the only time I ever tried a DVD. haha. Maybe you can try that???
Tried this and I was able to unlock android auto through my phone but it doesn't unlock the steering wheel controls.
Unfortunately I found out that Pioneer need signal from the handbreak not just an earth.
yarisdownunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 02:44 AM   #5
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisdownunder View Post
Tried this and I was able to unlock android auto through my phone but it doesn't unlock the steering wheel controls.
Unfortunately I found out that Pioneer need signal from the handbreak not just an earth.
A couple options for you. Keep in mind, I've never worked with steering wheel controls with aftermarket HUs....

Option 1: Look under and into the handbrake. I remember seeing a button down there when I was messing around with the center door lock switch (I have a 2008, can't remember what the 2012 looks like). I believe that button is pressed by the handbrake, which turns off the handbrake light. You can try tapping into one of those wires???

Option 2 (probably the better, but more expensive route):
Get these two items for a splice-free install to control you steering wheel controls.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120ASW...l-Adapter.html

If going with option 2, please read through everything to make sure your Pioneer HU would be compatible.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:34 PM   #6
blktiger60

Drives: `08 HB S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post

Option 1: Look under and into the handbrake. I remember seeing a button down there when I was messing around with the center door lock switch (I have a 2008, can't remember what the 2012 looks like). I believe that button is pressed by the handbrake, which turns off the handbrake light. You can try tapping into one of those wires???
That switch turns the headlights off/on (not all lights, just the headlights) when your 08 is running.