Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-15-2011, 01:58 AM   #37
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
Got my Nook Color installed. The bezel thickness is causing me some mind pain {installed as close to the radio trim as possible, needs some side trim pieces}. The tablet is too tall when laid horizontally. pictures to follow to explain. Tho it looks awesome to have Torque app running there.

I'd like to be able to remove the tablet from the car but right now ibhave to remove the HU trim to do so. It's too wide to just come out of the Double Din bezel

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274

Last edited by ezhacker1; 09-17-2011 at 08:04 PM.
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:51 PM   #38
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
^ Nice work exhacker! How did you hook up your audio?

======================================

So I was messing around with getting the audio all setup and I think I've hit a show stopper.

Using the headphone output of the tablet and an aux in on an HU sounds like ass. Tried a little EQ and whatnot and I really can't get what I would consider good quality audio out of it. Major disappointment.

Edit:

Ok, so Bluetooth audio works and sounds great. Bypassing the analog output from the tablet is the way to go. Using an HU was a matter of convenience before, now it's a necessity. I had purchased a single DIN HU but it doesn't support audio streaming so I went to exchange for another one that did... only it doesn't, despite the description of the website. Guess I'll return that too.

My existing HU is perfect. It sounds great and has all the features I need. But it's double din and too big to tuck into the opening and still be able to get the tablet in there.

Plan B - found lots of space to the right of the HVAC core behind the glovebox. Gooing to put a little shelf in there to mount the HU on. I'm tired of searching for amps, EQ's, HU's and all that crap so I'm just going to stick with this idea. It should do the job and save me from investing any more money into the project.

Last edited by Altitude; 09-18-2011 at 08:06 PM.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #39
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
looks good! Any pics of how you braced it in there?

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:04 PM   #40
ezhacker1

I take some pictures of the inside. No bracing whatsoever just cuts of plastic and friction fitting

Old 09-19-2011, 05:18 AM   #41
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
I may buy my friend's HTC Flyer just for this... The Xoom is cool but just far too big and heavy, unless I could get a sturdy arm for it...

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 09-19-2011, 02:27 PM   #42
Altitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
looks good! Any pics of how you braced it in there?
I realize this is directed at ezhacker but...

I used the existing HU brackets and screwed a piece of 7x3.5 poplar between them so that the wood lined up with the front edge of the brackets making a nice backplane. The Acer tablet is the perfect thickness to be able to just lay the tablet against the backplane and snap the bezel in place. Holds well enough that way without needing to bolt it down.

I did have to shave off a little dashboard plastic (1/8") where the bottom edge of the tablet meets a portion of the dashboard so that the tablet would sit low enough to clear the vents above it.

The last pic is to show where I had to shave a little plastic off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0338.jpg (72.6 KB, 361 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0339.jpg (60.3 KB, 354 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0340.jpg (82.2 KB, 355 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0341.jpg (98.9 KB, 355 views)
File Type: jpg plastic.jpg (93.1 KB, 355 views)

Last edited by Altitude; 09-19-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:52 PM   #43
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

I think I get the idea, sandwiched between the metal brackets and the plastic bezel...

Here's my masterpiece:

not exactly a factory look :D

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 09-19-2011, 04:41 PM   #44
Altitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
I think I get the idea, sandwiched between the metal brackets and the plastic bezel...

Here's my masterpiece:

not exactly a factory look :D
It works and rounds out all the other gadgets you have How's your audio sound coming from the headphone jack?

I'm pretty sure my issue was just crappy DAC's/amp circuit inside the Acer. Thank god for bluetooth!
Old 09-19-2011, 10:01 PM   #45
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

well honestly after the first drive I took the xoom out, the cheapo mount I have just can't handle the weight. If I braced it somehow with foam padding, it might work out better, but it's just overall too clunky.

I'm actually pretty happy with the headphone jack output on the xoom and the phones, though I really must recommend PowerAmp and its equalizer for actually making it sound good!

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 09-21-2011, 07:43 AM   #46
isra

Drives: 2007 Yaris hb
ezhacker1 what bluetooth adapter did u use for the torque app and does it stay on when u turn off the key and remove the key
Old 09-21-2011, 07:44 AM   #47
isra

Drives: 2007 Yaris hb
ezhacker1 what bluetooth adapter did u use for the torque app and does it stay on when u turn off the key and remove the key
Old 09-21-2011, 04:23 PM   #48
ezhacker1

A cheapo $18 or so one from ebay. No issues whatsoever . Key must be in the on position for Torque to work, its in their insturctions

Old 09-24-2011, 02:15 PM   #49
Altitude

Completed install.

That tiny hole you see to the left of the screen is for the light sensor so I can have auto brightness on. The button with the green light on it in the second pic is so I can determine when to charge/run it on juice or have it run on it's own battery.

I'm thinking I might need to keep power to it during the winter to keep the unit warm and prevent the cold temps from affecting it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg final1.jpg (112.5 KB, 318 views)
File Type: jpg final2.jpg (93.4 KB, 315 views)
Old 09-24-2011, 09:51 PM   #50
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

very nice! Do you find any issues with glare on the screen or insufficient brightness?

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 09-25-2011, 02:01 AM   #51
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

PK, I'd think the cigarette socket adapter would have some basic voltage regulation electronics?

In other news I took the plunge and got my friend's Flyer off him cheap :) Pretty cool device I must admit, the stylus brings a lot more precision to certain tasks. Anyway, first thing was to load up the Modaco tweaked beta Honeycomb ROM that's floating around, works pretty nice! Next step will be to try and mount it as nicely as you guys did!

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 09-25-2011, 03:21 AM   #52
ezhacker1

im liking these tablet installs. So far 2 things i run is PowerAmp for music cuz of the EQ and Torque.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:54 AM   #53
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

LOL yeah definitely the two best apps :D Though Poweramp looks quite crappy on a non-phone screen :( I tried the UberMusic beta some time ago (by the guy who does LauncherPro) and it looks good, as well as being skinnable, it might be possible to make a layout with bigger buttons more suited to in-car use (you don't want to look down and squint for a few seconds to find the right button!)

What I like about the HTCs is the Locations navigation app. I have it on my phone, since Google Navigation is not supported here (the hacked one works, but kinda crappily), and it works really good for us here. Problem is, the license I bought for the phone does not seem to be transferable to the Flyer :(

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 09-25-2011, 11:36 AM   #54
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

No no, I mean the male part, that does the (usually) 12V-5V conversion. I'm pretty sure a decent quality one would have some capacitors or something to smooth out spikes! That being said, yes, better safe than sorry.

Bye bye 1NZ...