Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-15-2020, 09:21 PM   #37
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
looks good, are you doing something more interesting than silver?

i've run most of the wheel/tire sizes. actually, we were in fredericton, nb when we bought our 2007 CE. came with factory 14's. "crandall" also lived in freddy beach and he ran 17's. HUGE difference in acceleration and braking between 14's and 17's (17's made the car accelerate slower and you had to press the brake pedal harder to stop (never did a true "versus" brake test, just me driving his car))

I eventually stayed with a 15x7 and a 205-50-15 on my yaris...comfort and handling.

205-50-16 are a bit tall vs your OEM tire, no?
Thanks. I'm going to stick with silver, not being very adventurous. I actually have a pint of Toyota silver wheel paint in my shop. What color would you paint them?

Initially, I upsized from 185/60R15 to a 195/60R15 on my stock wheels which are, I believe, 5.5" wide. Part of the reason for upsizing the wheels was to be able to use a slightly wider tire. I wanted a 16" wheel and one that resembled the stock rim as much as possible. Enter, the Accent wheels. Since I have lots of additional power and torque, upsizing isn't an issue, but yes, I noticed a big difference just between the 14" tiny winter rims and tires (175/65R14) vs the 185/60R15s on my stock 2008 LE.

Since I love visuals - and playing with the tire comparison tool - here are a couple pics to illustrate the discussed tire sizes.

Stock RS tire vs Current 205/50R16

My 195/60R15 vs 205/50R16

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 11:09 PM   #38
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
I didn't notice any real difference in acceleration when I switched from 185/60/15's to 205/50/16's. But, I did notice a huge improvement in handling... and of course, the car looked so much better IMHO. Surprisingly, the speedo was bang on with the 205/50/16's.

However, I experienced a significant difference in acceleration and even better handling when I decided to put light weight 16's on the car; it was like night and day... like driving a completely different car!
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 04:49 PM   #39
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
I didn't notice any real difference in acceleration when I switched from 185/60/15's to 205/50/16's. But, I did notice a huge improvement in handling... and of course, the car looked so much better IMHO. Surprisingly, the speedo was bang on with the 205/50/16's.

However, I experienced a significant difference in acceleration and even better handling when I decided to put light weight 16's on the car; it was like night and day... like driving a completely different car!
Further to Kimona's point, I'd bet my bottom dollar that my 17x7 wheels weighing in at 14.6 lbs each outperform heavier 16" options in both acceleration and handling. Un-sprung corner weight is a mother.

06 knows I'm a super fan of both his Yaris and workmanship. Having said that, both the design and color of these Hyundai wheels strike me as too similar to the stocks you were running previously. Given that they're probably heavier, I might have held out for something else.

To barber's point, perhaps a diff color, at minimum. It's not as though it doesn't look fantastic but given all the work, I'd think you'd have wanted more change effect. All respect due, just my 2 cents.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 07:17 PM   #40
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
IIRC, the OP is a big fan of the old RS wheels but desperately wanted bigger. In my thinking, that would be why he went with near identical look and still keeping OE silver. Also, with all his new found power, something that would easily negatively impact a factory 1NZ will probably be barely felt.
Old 04-20-2020, 11:25 PM   #41
06YarisRS

Thanks for the input gents! Interesting points made here. My interest in the wheel change is, as WeeYari says, to upsize the capacity for a wider tire, plus have the look of a 16. I do love the stock RS wheel design, but the tire looks too big on the wheel, IMO. Kind of like a big donut. It is true that I have tried to maintain as stock a look as possible while pushing things ever so slightly (lip, rear spoiler, and now wheels). The Hyundai wheel met virtually all of my criteria, the obvious being the bolt pattern, but also the offset (ET47), as opposed to the Yaris (ET46). It also has 5 spokes, and looks, IMO, a little more elegant with the slimmer spokes. It truly was the closest I could find to the RS wheel at my budget. Did I mention that the Toyota center caps snap right in?

In some respects, I'm pretty conservative when it comes to the car's appearance. Generally, I find that the manufacturer does the best job of coordinating things for an overall look. However, part of me wants to make a more radical change as suggested by Barber and Ernie. I have been seriously considering picking up another set of these wheels. I can get a set for $125.00. I love restoring these and would welcome doing another set...in a satin or semigloss black. That, currently, would be the extent of my adventurousness, I'm afraid. Lol. I kind of like the idea of having a wardrobe (is that the correct term?) of wheel/tire combinations to swap out depending on my mood. LOL. I have two industrial floor jacks and an electric impact gun, so it might take 15 minutes to change out a set of wheels including torquing the lugnuts.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 04-21-2020, 02:02 PM   #42
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
It is true that I have tried to maintain as stock a look as possible while pushing things ever so slightly...

In some respects, I'm pretty conservative when it comes to the car's appearance.
That's pretty much been my approach as well.

On my 2007, I thought I pushed the stock look a little by going with the 5-spokes (photo in post #9). Then, I found the ASA AR1 (pic below) which I immediately liked, and I thought they looked great on the car! I had them on my car for quite some time while storing the 5-spokes. Having two sets of wheels also allowed me to experiment with numerous tyre tread designs to eventually discover which worked best for overall performance and straight-line tracking at highway speeds.

I put the 5-spokes on my 2014, and I was quite satisfied. But, old school Japanese wheels caught my fancy one day, and I finally decided to really take a chance and break away from the stock look. The result was a new appearance that I fell in love with, and the surprise was the advantage of a light weight wheel.
Attached Images
File Type: png ASA AR1.png (22.5 KB, 61 views)
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 03:19 PM   #43
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
IIRC, the OP is a big fan of the old RS wheels but desperately wanted bigger. In my thinking, that would be why he went with near identical look and still keeping OE silver. Also, with all his new found power, something that would easily negatively impact a factory 1NZ will probably be barely felt.
Makes sense.

Quote:
I kind of like the idea of having a wardrobe (is that the correct term?) of wheel/tire combinations to swap out depending on my mood. LOL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Having two sets of wheels also allowed me to experiment with numerous tyre tread designs to eventually discover which worked best for overall performance and straight-line tracking at highway speeds.
Love the wardrobe idea!

On Wheelwell
Old 04-24-2020, 08:45 PM   #44
WeeYari

Quote:
There are several sets in excellent shape in Ontario, one set with relatively new tires.
What platform are you searching to find these? I did a Canada search on Kijiji and found nothing!
Old 04-24-2020, 11:03 PM   #45
06YarisRS

Quote:
What platform are you searching to find these? I did a Canada search on Kijiji and found nothing!
Here's one from Ontario:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...teLocale=en_CA

I found literally 4 - 5 sets right here in NB. 2 sets were at wreckers. I was going to pick up a set at $40.00 a wheel from one of the wreckers, but then found another set with basically new tires.

I also use parts search engines. Here's an example:

https://oara.com/parts-locator/

Not Accent wheels, but I would have looked at these if I was closer. They are 17" wheels, though.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...dId=1482397667

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 04-24-2020 at 11:22 PM.
Old 04-25-2020, 01:10 PM   #46
WeeYari

I've done 17s before which are still taking up space in my garage. Never again that size on this car.
Old 04-25-2020, 03:22 PM   #47
06YarisRS

Quote:
I've done 17s before which are still taking up space in my garage. Never again that size on this car.
Too rough a ride? They do tend to look good in pics, but my suspicion is that they would be a little harsh. Even the 16" with the 50 aspect ratio on my car is firmer than the 195/60R15 on stock alloys. Not by much, but noticeable.

Old 04-25-2020, 05:51 PM   #48
WeeYari

Me on the 17s. Can't believe this was way back in 2013. Wish the car looked as good today. :(

Generally the ride on 17s wasn't too bad. My biggest issue were the potholes that appear out of nowhere booting along at 120. Hitting those makes you feel sick and the first thing you do when you stop is inspect your wheels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WeeYari Peggys Cove.jpg (108.1 KB, 49 views)
Old 05-04-2020, 02:56 PM   #49
ern-diz

Don't be scared; life's short and it looks too good

Consider that many people run 18's on their Yaris' That's even too much for me

On Wheelwell