Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-10-2020, 12:36 PM   #1
Basmii

Drives: 09 yaris hb
New 2zrfe swap.

Due to this pandemic, it looks like I'm going to have time this summer to try this swap.

This is a bigger job than I've ever attempted so hopefully I don't screw stuff up to badly.

The car is a 09 mt hatch.

Parts gathered so far:

Xd mt ecu
Xd mt harness ( relatively poor shape)
Xd auto harness( in case I need to salvage a broken connector)
MWR lightweight flywheel and bolt set
Cheap knockoff DC intake with a good KN filter
Xd clutch kit (Luk)

There are lots of Corolla engines near me in the 600 to 800 range so I need to decide on one and determine what is missing or needs replacement.

I read thru the other swap threads on here and the wiring part is still a little confusing. I figure it is probably something that will make sense once I get into it.

I'll do my best to post some pictures and any advice is appreciated.

Last edited by Basmii; 05-10-2020 at 04:43 PM.
Basmii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 10:44 AM   #2
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Awesome! Glad to see another cultist--er, conversion started. Looking forward to seeing your build.

Welcome to YW!
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 05:47 PM   #3
Basmii

Appreciate it man. I'm sure I'll have a million questions for you and the others who have done it.
Old 05-12-2020, 01:55 AM   #4
mitch9521
Gen 3 > Gen 2

Drives: NCP131, F-150
Makes me want to start gathering parts to swap my '14, xDs are a chore to find in yards, especially manual ones.

mitch9521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 11:05 AM   #5
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch9521 View Post
Makes me want to start gathering parts to swap my '14, xDs are a chore to find in yards, especially manual ones.
Indeed. I found an MT xD at a dealership with lots of body damage for about $3500 and considered buying it just to pull it apart and make a kit from it. I've found one MT locally at a you-pick and it was in awful shape--Great Stuff foam in the already-deployed steering wheel airbag, kludge fixes everywhere.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:08 AM   #6
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basmii View Post
Appreciate it man. I'm sure I'll have a million questions for you and the others who have done it.
There's a lot of info to digest but reading through the existing build threads will probably answer a lot of them. There shouldn't be very many--if any--unknown unknowns at this point but it's possible. I'll be happy to help either way. =)
Old 05-12-2020, 11:34 PM   #7
mitch9521
Gen 3 > Gen 2

Drives: NCP131, F-150
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Indeed. I found an MT xD at a dealership with lots of body damage for about $3500 and considered buying it just to pull it apart and make a kit from it. I've found one MT locally at a you-pick and it was in awful shape--Great Stuff foam in the already-deployed steering wheel airbag, kludge fixes everywhere.
Quick question, do Corolla or Matrix engine harnesses work for this swap or does it have to specifically be from an xD? Rollas and Matrix' are super easy to find in yards.

mitch9521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:31 AM   #8
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch9521 View Post
Quick question, do Corolla or Matrix engine harnesses work for this swap or does it have to specifically be from an xD? Rollas and Matrix' are super easy to find in yards.
The Corolla and Matrix have the ECU on the driver's side, next to the battery and fuse box, the Yaris is on the passenger side. I'm pretty sure that Project Vios has a Corolla harness, but it had to be reworked pretty significantly to move the connector to the other side of the engine. I don't recall if there are pin incompatibilities on that harness but it's possible some wires have to be relocated in the connectors. The xD is direct fit, no faffing about. =)
Old 05-17-2020, 11:44 AM   #9
Basmii

Started working on my MT harness this morning. It appears that there are three kind of shady connections near one of the fuse box plugs. Beyond that it seems in ok shape.

Anybody got tips for depinning this thing? I tried just pressing on the little plastic tab inside with no luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P_20200517_103447.jpg (105.2 KB, 301 views)
Old 05-18-2020, 01:56 AM   #10
stidnam

Drives: Starlet
I can't see the bottom of the connector, but do they have a secondary locking bar on the other side that needs to be pulled up first?

Most of these plugs just need the primary tab lifted up from inside before pulling the pin out. But many of them also have that secondary locking bar as well that needs to be disengaged first
stidnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 08:30 AM   #11
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Yay! This is great! I've been waiting for another 2ZR swap to happen. I was apprehensive and frankly a little lost (nay, a lot lost) when I started, but the amazing guys here held my hand through the process. I hadn't done much more than brakes, oil changes and a few bolt on parts before my swap. Congrats! I'll add my 2 cents...I was advised by the YW gang to get a 2-day membership to TIS TechInfo and download all the necessary wiring diagrams across the 3 platforms I was working with: 2011 Corolla (my 2ZR engine), 2006 Yaris (my car) and 2008 ScionXD (harness and ECU). This helped me immeasurably in terms of understanding how the electrical worked, plus confirmed what the guys here were saying. It improved my confidence and taught me more about the basics of automotive wiring. Again, congrats, and welcome to YW; the best automotive website - ever!

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 05-18-2020 at 08:40 AM.
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:33 AM   #12
Basmii

No secondary tab as best as I can tell. I have a buddy that is going to bring over a set of specialized pin tools that he thinks will work. If not I will just cut the existing repairs and resolder/shrink wrap them on the connector.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:08 PM   #13
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
http://imgur.com/a/2ESv8Ax
http://imgur.com/a/lfEUG4m
http://imgur.com/a/3UCr9Ba

The bottom link is what the fuse box plug will look like when you are ready to pry up the tab inside the connector that holds the pin in. If the 'bar' on the side of the connector is flush with the connector the pins will not come out as they are locked un place. Use a pry tool (small screwdriver or a sturdy pick) to lift the lock as pictured in the third link.

Hope that helps

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 01:09 AM   #14
Basmii

I picked up my motor this week. 53,000miles out of an A/t Corolla for $600. It's missing the exhaust manifold which may be the universe telling me to buy an expensive header.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0528200932a.jpg (155.4 KB, 243 views)
Old 05-29-2020, 11:35 AM   #15
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
No secondary tab as best as I can tell. I have a buddy that is going to bring over a set of specialized pin tools that he thinks will work. If not I will just cut the existing repairs and resolder/shrink wrap them on the connector.
As someone who works in the automotive manufacturing industry, I highly discourage anyone from soldering connections on an automotive wire harness. The vibration stress will cause them to fail and become a nightmare to troubleshoot. Maybe not right away, but eventually. Crimping is the way the OEMs do it, you should too. =)

Looks like a beauty of an engine! Hopefully the internals are clean as well. If you've got some spare cash for the swap and want to be the first to try it, monkeywrenchracing.com has a long tube header for the 2ZR Corolla. No idea if it will clear the firewall and fit into the Yaris tunnel, but someone needs to find out. ;)
Old 05-29-2020, 06:27 PM   #16
Basmii

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
As someone who works in the automotive manufacturing industry, I highly discourage anyone from soldering connections on an automotive wire harness. The vibration stress will cause them to fail and become a nightmare to troubleshoot. Maybe not right away, but eventually. Crimping is the way the OEMs do it, you should too. =)

Looks like a beauty of an engine! Hopefully the internals are clean as well. If you've got some spare cash for the swap and want to be the first to try it, monkeywrenchracing.com has a long tube header for the 2ZR Corolla. No idea if it will clear the firewall and fit into the Yaris tunnel, but someone needs to find out. ;)
Do you recommend the regular heat shrink butt connectors or do I need to use something different?
Old 05-29-2020, 08:09 PM   #17
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
There's always this:

https://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/p...2zr-fe-engine/

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 10:34 AM   #18
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Do you recommend the regular heat shrink butt connectors or do I need to use something different?
Aah, I see that it's already been damaged/spliced. Ideally you would replace the whole wire to maintain the integrity of the insulation but that's not really practical in most cases. Heatshrink butt splices are fine here, just make sure you have a proper tool for both crimping and heating.