Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-10-2014, 03:44 AM   #1
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
Manual mirror disassembly question

I noticed how the manual mirrors utilize coaxial metal cables for adjustment, rather than direct leverage of old. I also notice how these cables make the mirror assembly almost impossible to completely take apart (and reassemble).

My question is how take a non power mirror assembly apart without breaking or cutting anything, if at all possible?

Thanks.
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 07:44 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
What exactly are you trying to take apart? If it is to get the mirror glass off, you tilt the mirror up, get your fingers under the bottom, and pull straight out. Once you unclip the bottom, you lift up on the glass to release the top hooks. At that point you have full access to the internals and to the clips that hold the covers on.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:03 AM   #3
jcboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
What exactly are you trying to take apart? If it is to get the mirror glass off, you tilt the mirror up, get your fingers under the bottom, and pull straight out. Once you unclip the bottom, you lift up on the glass to release the top hooks. At that point you have full access to the internals and to the clips that hold the covers on.
I was able to do that already, thanks to your guide in another post.
I'm trying to take apart the base and the mechanisms (practically take everything apart).

i've removed all screws and T25 Torx (base), but the only thing hindering me from completing the process are the wires for the adjustment. i can't seem to find a way to remove them (without cutting them) and be able to put them back.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:15 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboy View Post
I was able to do that already, thanks to your guide in another post.
I'm trying to take apart the base and the mechanisms (practically take everything apart).

i've removed all screws and T25 Torx (base), but the only thing hindering me from completing the process are the wires for the adjustment. i can't seem to find a way to remove them (without cutting them) and be able to put them back.
Sometimes those kind of mechanisms are built where they are not designed to be taken back apart.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:47 AM   #5
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Manual mirror disassembly question

The base have one of those washers to attach the folding mechanism that once pushed in, they cannot be removed without cutting. Not sure why you'd want to take it completely apart.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:21 PM   #6
jcboy

Oh i see. Thanks. I guess i have no choice then.

I want to take it apart because i want to be able to transfer my current power mirror to it, as the one i bought has been painted clear so its a bit satin-ny in terms of shine. Just the OC in me wanting all the black parts to match 100%.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:04 PM   #7
ucsmfu

Drives: yaris le
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
same technique to remove the side mirror glass from the 2012 Yaris as well ?

Thanks Scott
ucsmfu is offline   Reply With Quote