Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-21-2016, 07:05 PM   #1
brushforhire

Drives: 07 HB YARIS, 15 JUKE, 00 TUNDR
My 2zrfe swap

I've been wanting to do this swap for awhile. I planned on doing it back in July of last year, but then my '00 tundra rear axle started leaking, so i had to fix that first instead. I bought a welder and learned to weld and fixed it myself instead of paying someone to do it. Well I had planned on doing this maybe later in the year, but then my exhaust decided to convert itself to a side dump system. So instead of fixing this exhaust only to redo it later when I did swap, is a pain to me. So here I am. Along with the swap, I am doing the Xd front caliper swap, and probably Megan coilovers at the same time. My front brakes are totally shot, and I am pretty sure my rear suspension is bad.

So here are my pics and documentation of how I am doing the swap.

61.JPG The car, and my hobart 210 welder I will be using for the exhaust work.
62.JPG I started by removing the hood
64.JPG And then the front bumper
66.JPG The rebar and front headlights were removed, along with various other small part.
67.JPG Here I have removed the a/c condensor, rad, and rad support. I have also taken out the ECU, battery tray, air box, etc. I think I have most all the connectors disconnected at this point to remove the engine harness as one unit with the engine.

I also took off the front brakes today. The fender liners, and under shields were also removed. I plan on taking the fenders off so I can put some sound deadening material on the backside of them.

I am taking this opportunity to clean the engine bay and possibly spray it gloss black while everything is out.

I am contemplating swapping in the Xd brake master cylinder, while I can actually get to it. I am planning putting an optima yellow top battery inside the car to free up some engine bay space and help with front to back weight balance.

I want the extra space because I hope to turbo this swap someday, and I want to do as much as I can now to prep for it.

So here are few pics of the Yaris S front rotors, Xd front Calipers and brackets. I am using G2 caliper paint on them. Decided to just go gloss black, because I have no idea what color my exterior might end up being, not to mention, I do like the sleeper look. Nice without drawing to much attention.

bracket.JPG
caliper.JPG
rotor.JPG

For tools I am using a mechanic set of sockets and ratchets I bought from Sears, a Ryobi 1/2 impact One+ gun, Kobalt impact sockets from Lowes, floor jack, jack stands, and assorted other pliers and small hand tools. I will try to keep the tool list updated as I go to let everyone know what it takes to do this.
brushforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 07:25 PM   #2
Frank the Tank

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
so what parts are you using?
does this car have abs?
Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 07:43 PM   #3
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Damn these builds just make me drive my 1nz harder and make me feel less guilty about it...
Old 02-21-2016, 08:17 PM   #4
brushforhire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
so what parts are you using?
does this car have abs?
I am using a scion Xd engine, harness, ecu, alt, a/c compressor, etc. Not totally sure what year yet. All the stuff has only 65k on it. Everything is from the same vehicle except the a/c compressor.

According to Armstrongracing's thread, the needed parts are:

1)2ZRFE engine with ALL components and accessories from a 2009+ Xd, Corolla
2)ECM from a 2008-2009 Xd applicable to your car in auto or manual trans
3)Xd engine harness also applicable to your car and transmission choice.
4)Xd RH engine mount and bracket
5)Xd exhaust midpipe
6)Xd intake AND MAF sensor
7)Xd a/c compressor lines - I did not need these. I was able to reuse my old lines.
8)Mini-add-a-circuit (for the MAF sensor, it has different wiring and needs this. Thank you for the correction Armstrongracing).

In PA they can't sell used cats without them being re-certified, which isn't worth the money. So I asked them cut off the top of the exhaust pipe, so I could use the flange and weld a new exhaust to it.

I do have ABS

Last edited by brushforhire; 04-01-2016 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Updating the parts list.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:26 PM   #5
Frank the Tank

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
Will this be a manual transmission?
Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:55 PM   #6
brushforhire

Keeping it auto for now.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:14 PM   #7
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Wow,first hatch with a 2zrfe? sexy..
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 04:09 AM   #8
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
RagnaCat was the first 3dr hatch to do this swap about 2 years ago I believe. Had a build thread on microimage forums, but lost all that useful info..
Old 02-22-2016, 10:32 AM   #9
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
8)Mini-add-a-circuit....

This is required on any 2zr swap due to the fuse box differences. The 2zr mini MAF sensor has different wiring than the older gen MAF sensor
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:52 AM   #10
brushforhire

Not to much progress right now. Bought a 2 ton engine crane and had to assemble that. Also bought some more can lights for my garage ceiling so I can actually see. Most of my time working on this is usually an hour before work, and about an hour after.

I also decided to take the cowl off to make it easier to work in there.

I am at the point that all I really should need to do is, pop out both axles, and then disconnect the manifold from the downpipe and it should come out after I unbolt the mounts.

I did notice that my manifold to downpipe bolts are really rotted, one the springs is missing, and the other bolt head is rotted away with the spring hanging on by a hair. That looks like it is gonna suck to get at. Gonna try and squeeze my sawzaw in there and just cut them off.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:46 PM   #11
tmontague

Does anyone know if you can just buy the xD downpipe flange separately? I have a 2.25" custom echaust and it would make more sense to just weld the flange onto my exhaust so that it matches up to the xD header. Save money and keep the performance.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:33 PM   #12
brushforhire

This might be a good place to start: Universal 2.25" ball flange

Here is another I found, when I was looking into this myself: Flange

I did find a couple other, but all pretty much the same stuff. Not totally sure of the size needed, but for some reason I was thinking 2.25"
Old 02-23-2016, 03:08 PM   #13
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
That may work. But if you're going completely custom, buy the RPM headers for max flow. They sell a cated midpipe if you want also
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:08 PM   #14
tmontague

The 2.25" flange would fit my exhaust but the question is would that mate up to the donut gasket on the xD header?

Although the rpm header and catted mid pipe would be the best since there'd be no question of compatability. The other option would be to just go to a junk yard and cut off the flange on a corolla. Then weld that onto the custom mid pipe. I'm sure the rpm header and mid pipe are pricey
Old 02-23-2016, 05:54 PM   #15
brushforhire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
The 2.25" flange would fit my exhaust but the question is would that mate up to the donut gasket on the xD header?

Although the rpm header and catted mid pipe would be the best since there'd be no question of compatability. The other option would be to just go to a junk yard and cut off the flange on a corolla. Then weld that onto the custom mid pipe. I'm sure the rpm header and mid pipe are pricey
Someone posted a review of the Walker universal one and said that it worked perfect on their 2013 Corolla. So that may help.

The RPM setup with header and midpipe with cat and resonator is $725. I am really thinking about it, but my welder is just sitting there begging to be used also. I may just do a temporary setup to get back on the road and then take my time designing a proper exhaust.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:46 PM   #16
tmontague

Good to know, thanks for the info. yikes $725, mind you that's with a header as well
Old 02-23-2016, 07:44 PM   #17
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I'm kind of stuck on the exhaust as well--I'd love to get the RPM long-tube kit, but it's pricey and doesn't include the axle-back. I've got a resonator-back mandrel bent tube that MalibuGuy made to order, but that doesn't help me to get from the resonator to the header (where all the expensive bits are).

An aftermarket doesn't seem to be much cheaper than a used OEM--both are around $550--and that still doesn't cover the header or axle-back. Decisions, decisions!
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:09 PM   #18
tmontague

where are you guys finding the rpm package listed? I'm struggling to find the proper set up on line anywhere