Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-27-2008, 11:46 AM   #1
tfman716

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Noise coming from rear end!

Not sure if this is where to post this or not. My wife was in a very minor fender bender in which the rear bumper was just barely scratched a little bit.

Well ever since then the car is really loud in the rear end...kind of sounds like something is dragging or like a helicopter is about to take off. It happens even when the car is idle. It isn't a constant noise but happens more often than not. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? I have looked under the car and don't see anything...maybe the muffler was bent a little bit and this is the noise of the gas coming out from the bented muffler?

Anyone have any ideas?? Thanks in advance!!
tfman716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:12 PM   #2
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
could be a tire rubbing on something....or maybe a exhaust hanger came loose. Theres many possibilities....
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:15 PM   #3
tfman716

i thought a tire at first too but it makes the noise even when idle so i doubt that is the issue...what does the exhaust hanger look like? I tried googling it but couldn't find anything
Old 10-27-2008, 01:21 PM   #4
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
By the muffler, bent shape like a "s" or "l" with a rubber stopper/grommet on the end between both of them. can't miss it if you look under the rear.
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:22 PM   #5
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Let me know what it is cause my car kinda does that too. I do have trd springs and swaybar though so dunno if i just need spring isolators or somethign else. I do notice a small dent on my bumper and the bumper support underneight is slightly bent. Appears someone hit my car in the parking lot or soemthing.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:28 PM   #6
tfman716

I will let you know what I find out. I don't know how such a small bump can cause such a loud noise...I dont think anything could be broken that bad
Old 10-27-2008, 02:04 PM   #7
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
+1 on rubber grommet ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCALB SIRAY View Post
By the muffler, bent shape like a "s" or "l" with a rubber stopper/grommet on the end between both of them. can't miss it if you look under the rear.
this could have came loose or tore . This stretches so exhaust can move some with the road conditions ( bumps , etc. ) . It slips on two metal rods , 1 attached ( welded ) to undercarriage and the other welded to muffler itself . This was an issue with our 2000 Chevy PRIZM ( Corolla ) . Overtime the rubber grommmet weakens from the elements and stretches from the torture of pour roads . The grommet had weakened so much that the muffler would move up and down from rough surfaces or bumps , thus the tailpipe would hit on the rear plastic bumper . To test this , grab tailpipe and move up and down to see the play in it , if hits the bumper , that could be the culprit . This is a very expensive item , think I was quoted at about $150 ! So , we decided to just deal with it . GOOD LUCK
gid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:46 PM   #8
YarisSedan

ROFL the rubber gromet cost 150?!?! YOu can buy it a kragens for like 15 dollars. Or any other parts store.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:56 PM   #9
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
I had a 05 Taco that had one break(almost flip my truck one day going fishing) so I took it to a muffler shop and they fixed it for $10.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:15 PM   #10
DFA
Compulsive Washer

Drives: 08' AT Meteorite Metallic LB
Send a message via MSN to DFA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfman716 View Post
Noise coming from rear end!
Yeah... mine does that too. Usually after having beans or mexican food

DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:44 PM   #11
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Where was the bumper hit? Could the exhaust tailpipe have been hit too without you noticing it? If so, the muffler or pipe could have been bend in (toward the front of the car) and be contacting an exhaust heat shield. There is not a lot of clearance for movement of the exhaust pipe side to side or up and down, and if the pipe is bent (even just a little) it may be contacting one of the thin aluminum shields. This could be why you hear it at idle as the tail pipe has some vibration at low RPM's.

Just a thought...
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:58 AM   #12
gid

I sh*t you not ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
ROFL the rubber gromet cost 150?!?! YOu can buy it a kragens for like 15 dollars. Or any other parts store.
through CHEVY or TOYOTA parts department . I don't believe this part is available at your KRAGENS , A.A.P. , PEPBOYS , etc.. It's not very common part .
Old 10-28-2008, 01:06 AM   #13
gid

yes , it would hit the very bottom of the rear bumper . Anytime I was looking to possibly buy a used Chevy PRIZM ( Corolla ) I would grab the tailpipe to check the tightness of the exhaust by grabbing the exhaust pipe and pull it up and down to see if it would hit bottom of rear bumper . Seems like most of them did this , maybe it was a flaw in design or part . But the more the miles the greater the possibility for weakness of rubber grommet from the elements ( road salt , etc. ) or pour roads or both .
Old 10-28-2008, 01:58 AM   #14
YarisSedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gid View Post
through CHEVY or TOYOTA parts department . I don't believe this part is available at your KRAGENS , A.A.P. , PEPBOYS , etc.. It's not very common part .
Its a universal part. You dont ahve to get a exact dealer part. Or you could go to any muffler shop they have all different sorts. I changed one on a ford mustang The guy brough his own part he got it at kragens for like 8 bucks. Didnt look like th eone that broke but it worked.

I dont see how a piece of rubber can cost 150 bucks. I mean a motor mount has more rubber and they are no more than 100

Oh yeah btw my job is a service writer. So i order parts and give customres estimates daily.

FYI if you live in the local bay area my shop only uses OEM toyota parts. Every box says toyota including fluids like transmission or coolant.

If anyone needs any services done we have the cheapest prices around and beat nearly everyone. Email me for estimate.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:48 AM   #15
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gid View Post
Are you thinking of the same part?

Should be something similar to that. Its really cheap to obtain.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:37 PM   #16
gid

same part , as above . Maybe they were trying to screw me . Just trying to help . Seems like a majority of TOYOTA employees have crappy attitudes as well . Is that part of the crudentials ? Or do you get training for that ? Just called CHEVY parts department and the rubber grommet costs $52 and the brackets are $99 , so apparently the parts person a few years back was trying to sell both parts which would be > $150 with tax . They are special order items .

Last edited by gid; 10-28-2008 at 09:58 PM.