Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-30-2008, 09:26 PM   #19
n2oinferno

Drives: 96 Bonneville SSE/08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
At about 12,000 miles it's been change the oil put gas in it and drive it. The thing has never seen the inside of a garage.

Try all of that with your VW!

Gene
35k miles on my 07 GTI and then I had a CEL. Other than that only oil changes and normal maintenance.

20k on my 00 Celica GT-S and my air conditioning went out. 5k miles later and I had a squeaky throwout bearing. ;)

Oh yeah I sold the GTI back to the dealership because they got into an accident on the test drive after they fixed the CEL.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:25 PM   #20
Yarmouth Bob

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Definitely go with the Yaris, VW's quality has slipped a lot. Now I know our Canadian gallons are about 20% larger but around town and out to my place in a rural area we get mid - 40's mpg and on the highway (using cruise control) best I've gotten so far has been 53 mpg. Up here gas is going (where I live for $0.858 per litre, it was up to $1.48/litre this summer. So when the lease was up on the Masda3 (dealer 2 hours away) I leased locally and went for a Yaris Sedan with Convenience package, had it for 6 months and we're pretty satisfied.
Yarmouth Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:27 PM   #21
Tiddlygoose

Drives: 2009 Honda Civic Sedan SI
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Are you suggesting Mini Coopers are unreliable?If you know something let me know as i'm in the market for a non S version.
PM me and I will tell you all the dirty little secrets. MINI's are made by BMW. BMW does not have the great a reliability thing going on right now. Parts are mucho expensive.

The upshod here is that I traded my 2003 MINI Cooper S with 60K miles and $700 in on a 2008 Yaris with a warranty. Sick of fixing the damned thing.

Last edited by Tiddlygoose; 12-01-2008 at 04:41 PM.
Tiddlygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 05:14 PM   #22
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfratt View Post
Hi all. Brand new member here.

I just got back from the Toyota dealership where I took a second drive in the Yaris 2-door hatch 5MT.

Either way, I'm really leaning towards the Yaris now. Maybe for the price, maybe for the simplicity of it, maybe just for the fun factor, but I'm really warming up tothe idea of owning one.

Real-world MPG. What kind of mileage are you folks getting out of these? Highway, city, mixed? I'd guess that it wouldn't be too difficult to get better than the advertised 36mpg highway. Also, how many miles do you usually get out of a tank of gas?
Ive owned both so you owe it to yourself to check out the KIA RIO 5. Superb handling (not kidding) and adequate power with much better fit and finish. Yaris comes in LAST in professional comparos and the rio usually place in the top 2. I hate KIAs in general, but this car is in a class by itself. Check out some British revues on Youtube. The Yaris is merely OK but handles like a pig and has terrible, sloppy front suspension. After a year you will klnow your are driving a tin can. Just check out the KIA Rio and get back to us - you'll regret it otherwise. - Sonjas bro

ps we get 35 -40 mpg depending on lead foot or AC. Papa commutes at 80MPH and gets high 30's

Last edited by TheSilkySmooth; 12-01-2008 at 05:21 PM. Reason: sp and add content
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote