Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-28-2010, 09:21 PM   #1
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
Twist...you went to buy a civic when you have an 09 Yaris? Yeah, the salesman thinks he's got an easy mark, I'm afraid. And "yes", your value will appear to suck on a 1-year old car. You are smack dab in the worst possible spot for depreciation. After a couple more years, your depreciation will level-off when many other cars continue to drop. Of course, the Yaris is an economy car at heart, and will never have high resale, other than compared to similar market vehicles. Even Mini Coopers and Prius' take a big hit at resale in the first 2 years, and they are high on the supply/demand curve.

Take a look at what Echo's are selling for in the US used market. I found that they were about a grand higher than most 2000-01 Econo-boxes (Kia, Hyundai, Mazda, Chevy, Ford, etc.) In about 8-10 years, your Yaris will have good value because it will still run well and be reliable while much of the competition in this segment will be worth $1500-$2000. Yaris might be closer to $3K. You didn't really expect to get more than 75% of what you paid after a year, I hope.

Always plan on eating 40% of what you pay for a new car. The trick is to be 100% paid off by the time that 40% mark rolls around (usually about 3 years), then sell privately and reinvest in another car. With some cars you get lucky and get a little more for it, but the key is to pay it off in 3 years. That's the highest point on the resale curve, relative to cost and value.
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:19 AM   #2
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmdd View Post
Twist...you went to buy a civic when you have an 09 Yaris? Yeah, the salesman thinks he's got an easy mark, I'm afraid. And "yes", your value will appear to suck on a 1-year old car. You are smack dab in the worst possible spot for depreciation..
Lot of people never realize that depreciation is real money leaving your pocket,trading a new car after just 1 year in this particular case will cost the owner around $4000 for the Yaris and another $4-$5k depreciation on the HondaI'll guarantee if the OP was dealing in real cash instead of plastic, paperwork and monthly payments the wisdom of this move might be more apparent.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote