Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-02-2009, 08:34 AM   #1
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
Amsoil XL 5W-20

I bought this and did my oil change a month or so ago, it was the only one they had in the store so I snagged it. Amsoil XL 5W-20.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/xlm.aspx

I thought this was a full, 100% synthetic, but I think I was wrong. The other products on their page say they are "100% synthetic" but not this one.

So what's the deal, I want 25,000 miles or 1 year oil change intervals dang it! This oil is only good for 7,500 miles or 6 months. Next oil change I'm just gonna go get the 0W-20 100% synthetic - maybe the Amsoil dealer will order it for me.

Can someone (ie. all the fluid technician lube masters that know what the tech. specs on the Amsoil site mean) tell me what exactly the XL series of Amsoil is?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xlm_qt_300pxh.jpg (12.0 KB, 104 views)
Old 03-02-2009, 09:21 AM   #2
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
That is a full synthetic motor oil and the XL is the way Amsoil says "Extended Life". I have been putting the 5W-30 version of that in my Yaris and for that matter all my cars for years. I use the 20W-50 for my bikes. The Amsoil sales thing is that overall if you use the product over a 25,000 mile period it will be cheaper than conventional oil. For example 3-4 changes at 7,500 ea. / 8-9 changes at the old 3000.

To get what you want, you need to go with the 0W-30 "Signature Series".

Some stuff copied and pasted from that link you provided

AMSOIL Extended Life Synthetic Motor Oils deliver exceptional protection for 7,500-mile/6-month oil change intervals or longer where stated by vehicle manufacturers or indicated by electronic oil life monitoring systems. They provide "Peace-of-Mind" for owners of modern vehicles where drain intervals exceed conventional oil recommendations of 3,000 miles.

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
AMSOIL Extended Life “XL” Synthetic Motor Oils exceed the current performance requirements for gasoline engines and deliver exceptional performance by controlling wear and maximizing fuel economy.

AMSOIL XL Synthetic Motor Oils are convenient and cost effective. They last longer than conventional petroleum motor oils, saving time and money. Motorists traveling 15,000 miles per year need only change AMSOIL XL motor oils twice, compared to five times for conventional 3,000-mile change intervals. While the initial fill may be more expensive than conventional oil, mile for mile AMSOIL XL costs less.

AMSOIL Extended Life Synthetic Motor Oils provide peace of mind. The oil drain interval recommendations for many of today’s vehicles extend well beyond the traditional 3,000-mile interval, some up to 12,000 miles with electronic oil monitoring systems. And unlike petroleum oils that have 3,000-mile maximum recommendations, AMSOIL XL Oils provide 7,500-mile/six-month drain intervals or longer where stated by vehicle manufacturers or indicated by oil life monitoring systems. When using AMSOIL XL Synthetic Motor Oils, protection and performance are not sacrificed with longer drain intervals.

AMSOIL, the leader in automotive synthetic lubrication, produced the world’s first API qualified synthetic motor oil in 1972. Trust the extensive experience of AMSOIL, The First in Synthetics®, to do the best job protecting your vehicle.

Improve Fuel Economy
AMSOIL XL Synthetic Motor Oils are fuel efficient oils formulated with friction modifiers to reduce energy loss from friction. They provide better fuel economy compared to conventional, non fuel-efficient motor oils.

Maintain Low Emissions
AMSOIL XL Synthetic Motor Oils are friendly toward modern emission control systems, helping improve catalytic converter service life for low exhaust emissions.

Protect Engines In All Temperatures
AMSOIL XL Synthetic Motor Oils are multi-viscosity formulations. They provide optimum engine protection in both hot and cold temperature conditions.

Keep Engines Clean
AMSOIL XL Synthetic Motor Oils are heavily fortified with detergent/dispersant additives and are significantly more resistant to sludge and carbon deposits than conventional oils. AMSOIL XL Synthetic Motor Oils promote clean operation for longer lasting, better running engines.

APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL Extended Life Synthetic Motor Oils are excellent for use in all types of gasoline-fueled vehicles. They are recommended for all domestic and foreign vehicles requiring any of the listed performance specifications:
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:10 AM   #3
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

So you do yours at 7500? Hows it look when you drain it out?
Old 03-02-2009, 10:14 AM   #4
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
0W-30 "Signature Series" is a 35,000/1-year oil, with their Ea oil filter. The HP 5W-30 is a 25,000/1-year oil, w/ Ea filter.

ACEA ratings on the HP 5W-30 and SS 0W-30 are both A5/B5, XL oils are A1/B1

The 25K HP 0W-20 shows to be only A1/B1, if I checked correctly, so you're probably better off with AMSOIL's oils that have their maximum ACEA ratings (HP 5W-30 or SS 0W-30) instead of their minimum ACEA ratings (HP 0W-20).

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:17 AM   #5
Klink10

Slight change in color which is to be expected. I get out exactly what I put in which means I'm not burning. Oh and even though it says 7,500 I still do mine at 5000. I am glad you came back to check here, what you have is good stuff and Amsoil goes through constant label changes so the fact that "Synthetic" is not on the label doesn't mean it's not.

Thank you 1st Toyota, you hit just before I did.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:32 AM   #6
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

"ACEA A5/B5 oils are Upper Mainline lubricants. They are designed for use in high performance gasoline and light duty diesel engines that are specifically designed to use a low viscosity oil. These oils may be unsuitable for use in some engines."

So it is okay, and "best" (I know, loaded word) to use the A5/B5 oils? It would seem the A1/B1 oil is more suited to the Yaris. I don't know really, I just googled what A1/B1 meant. lol
Old 03-02-2009, 10:39 AM   #7
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Semi-dumb question... I'm not used to waiting so long to change my oil. How long is my filter good for? I used a Hastings Premium filter, they didn't have Wix. =/ Can it really last 7,500 miles or 25,000 miles or a year?
Old 03-02-2009, 11:03 AM   #8
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodium Duck View Post
Semi-dumb question... I'm not used to waiting so long to change my oil. How long is my filter good for? I used a Hastings Premium filter, they didn't have Wix. =/ Can it really last 7,500 miles or 25,000 miles or a year?
Hastings and WIX are very good filters and will easily last 5K miles. The AMSOIL Ea filter is built by WIX. Only visible difference is decal and media, all other construction and components look exactly like the premium WIX (not their cheapy PROTEC line)

None of us think alike, but if you want to keep it simple, and keep the Toyota service department happy, go with the AMSOIL 5W-30 XL, WIX, Hastings or Toyota filter, and stick to a 5K OCI...that way you're getting the viscosity listed on the cap and in the owner's manual, and since the XL series isn't *over-qualified* it has the API approval right on the label. JMO

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 03-02-2009, 12:15 PM   #9
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

I want it to be as complicated as possible. lol
Old 03-02-2009, 01:02 PM   #10
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
Hastings and WIX are very good filters and will easily last 5K miles. The AMSOIL Ea filter is built by WIX. Only visible difference is decal and media, all other construction and components look exactly like the premium WIX (not their cheapy PROTEC line)

None of us think alike, but if you want to keep it simple, and keep the Toyota service department happy, go with the AMSOIL 5W-30 XL, WIX, Hastings or Toyota filter, and stick to a 5K OCI...that way you're getting the viscosity listed on the cap and in the owner's manual, and since the XL series isn't *over-qualified* it has the API approval right on the label. JMO
1st Toyota:

I have seen some of your comments on this board and have a high regard for you opinion. I would like to ask you what you do for oil changes. What oil do you use and what is your change interval and oil filter you use.

Thanks!

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:31 PM   #11
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by daf62757 View Post
1st Toyota:

I have seen some of your comments on this board and have a high regard for you opinion. I would like to ask you what you do for oil changes. What oil do you use and what is your change interval and oil filter you use.

Thanks!

Didn't see that coming Thanks.

I do 5k OCI on the Yaris because that's what the service reminder light and owners manual is based on. Some might laugh but the last OC was AMSOIL HP 5W-30 w/ AMSOIL Ea filter, and now I've switched to Pennzoil Platinum and Beck/Arnley filter. Probably a step down but after many headaches I decided to keep it simple (Wal-Mart and Advance Auto for oil and filters) and use an oil that was high-rated and API approved.

I've also used ENEOS, LubroMoly and Lucas oils and PureOne, Nippon and WIX filters for a short time. The Beck/Arnley line of filters look really good and can be bought fairly cheap at Rock Auto.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 03-02-2009, 06:19 PM   #12
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
I guess Rock Auto is a local/regional store. Haven't ever heard of them. NO...I like to get input from people whose posts make sense and seem to have a logic to them. Now don't go applying for a job at Toyota as a Yaris mechanical engineer based on my comments! But you appear to have your stuff together from what I read online.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:57 PM   #13
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by daf62757 View Post
I guess Rock Auto is a local/regional store. Haven't ever heard of them. NO...I like to get input from people whose posts make sense and seem to have a logic to them. Now don't go applying for a job at Toyota as a Yaris mechanical engineer based on my comments! But you appear to have your stuff together from what I read online.

Sorry, I should have been more clear...it's an online site:

http://www.rockauto.com/

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 03-04-2009, 02:38 AM   #14
phenoyz

Drives: yaris
is it ok to use " COMPRESS AIR" to flush out the old oil?
how about those "engine oil flush" additives, any effect on the engine?
going to hit 5,000 miles soon.
thanks
Old 03-04-2009, 12:15 PM   #15
Klink10

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenoyz View Post
is it ok to use " COMPRESS AIR" to flush out the old oil?
how about those "engine oil flush" additives, any effect on the engine?
going to hit 5,000 miles soon.
thanks
Would not use either. Just run the car say to the store or whatever to warm the oil. Drain, do the filter and refill.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:19 PM   #16
BLAZINBLUEVITZ

Drives: 2007 YARIS 3DOOR
OH LOOK another oil thread......