Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Suggestions - Feedback - Questions
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-02-2022, 09:45 PM   #1
bluemavrick5510

Drives: 2010 Yaris 4D LB, AT, W/O PP
How to drain gas tank?

2010 Yaris sitting for the last 4 years. How do I use the fuel pump to drain the gas tank? Gas was stabilized prior to sitting but stabilizer is said to not last that long. Needs new battery of course, and planning to change the oil, and replace the brakes. Tires were new but may also need replacing I suppose. And time will tell if I can ever clean the interior of mouse issues. Please feel free to suggest anything else needed to get this car up and running again. Thanks!
bluemavrick5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 01:44 AM   #2
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
the easy way is to dissconnect the injector line and run that into a gas can and then turn the car on..it should freely pump

fuel sitting that long "can" still be good, if it smells normal its probably fine, especialy if the car was kept somewhere semi climate stable
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 03:16 AM   #3
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
If mice have been living in that car for the last 4 years my main concern would be if they have chewed up any wiring. They can make a real mess and electrical issues are usually a pain to track down. Good luck.
NYC-SE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 04:13 AM   #4
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
When you bought the car did you drive it home?
Old 08-03-2022, 10:26 AM   #5
bluemavrick5510

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
When you bought the car did you drive it home?
I bought the car new and drove it about 95,000 miles until a tree fell on its roof in 2018. Although it only had a few small dents in the roof, and no functional damage at all, the insurance company totaled the car. They paid me for the car, and then I bought it back from them. At first, I drove it occasionally up and down my half-mile driveway. Since then, though, it's just been sitting in my yard for about four years. Simple process for me to reregister it and put it back on the road, according to the Department of Motor Vehicles.
Old 08-03-2022, 12:34 PM   #6
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
yeah putting it legaly back on the road is simple in most states

95k its still new!!!!!

how the fuel aged will come down to brand of stabilizer and how much fuel was in the tank.....with such low milage id likely be tempted to just pull the back seat and get to the tank access panel and siphon the tank instead
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 01:38 PM   #7
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post

95k its still new!!!!!

how the fuel aged will come down to brand of stabilizer and how much fuel was in the tank.....with such low milage id likely be tempted to just pull the back seat and get to the tank access panel and siphon the tank instead
Sounds like a good idea to me! I would get as much gas out of there as I could.

I also agree you got Potentially a viable vehicle there. A very good vehicle! Good luck with it and let us know what happens!
Old 08-03-2022, 01:45 PM   #8
bronsin

I went back and reread your original post and also your latest one answering my question.

Change the oil right away before you drive it anymore. If what comes out is nasty change it again after 500 miles. Check the air filter and change it if it’s dirty. Change the coolant if it hasn’t been changed since new. I would keep the tires if it was me I just wouldn’t drive over
60 Or just drive around town.
Old 08-04-2022, 11:09 AM   #9
bluemavrick5510

Quote:

95k its still new!!!!!

Thank you and all for the responses and encouragement.
Old 08-04-2022, 11:11 AM   #10
bluemavrick5510

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
If mice have been living in that car for the last 4 years my main concern would be if they have chewed up any wiring. They can make a real mess and electrical issues are usually a pain to track down. Good luck.
Yeah, that's for sure. So far though, all the wiring that I can see looks good.
Old 08-04-2022, 11:24 AM   #11
bluemavrick5510

Quote:
the easy way is to dissconnect the injector line and run that into a gas can and then turn the car on..it should freely pump

fuel sitting that long "can" still be good, if it smells normal its probably fine, especialy if the car was kept somewhere semi climate stable
The old fuel does actually have a very typical smell of gasoline. If I recall correctly, I did double-dose the old fuel with Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer. I think the tank is quite full though. So, I'd prefer not to run that much old gas through the system.
Old 08-05-2022, 11:12 AM   #12
bluemavrick5510

Quote:

I can't find the fuel pump relay.
Old 08-31-2022, 08:02 PM   #13
bluemavrick5510

Just FYI. I ended up removing the fuel pump from the gas tank via access under the rear seat and using a harbor freight tools hand pump to remove the old gas. kind of a waste effort though because there was only two gallons of gas in the tank. And I had to buy a tool ($33.00) to remove the fuel pump locking collar. Upside now though is that I can easily do it all again if needed. And with new fuel and oil the car started right up and seems to run as if it had never been sitting for five (not four) years. Now I need to tackle the underside body rust and interior mouse nests and smell.
Old 08-31-2022, 08:50 PM   #14
bronsin

Good luck I hope your Yaris returns to good health!