Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-03-2023, 11:29 PM   #1
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Track pads for stock 09?

Hey guys,

Is anyone making track pads for the stock calipers of a 2009 5dr? I need to do a training course for my competition license and the Yaris is going to have suffer through 2 track days at a track which is brutal on brakes. The hawk HPS will fry for sure. For perspective: my 01 Miata is using DTC60s and only gets 2.5 track days out of front pads.

Thanks!
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 08:27 AM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Member tmontague ran his track build sedan hard at Cayuga. He tried several brands and settled on G-LOC.
He may even still have this set of bnib still for sale.

https://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=63486
Old 02-05-2023, 12:13 PM   #3
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Weeyari is correct, G-Loc were by far my favorite. Unfortunately I ended up tossing the r18's (since sold the car in favor of tracking motorcycles) I had, and in all honesty, unless you were running full on race slicks, those pads would have been way too much.

Carbotech have a similar pad compound and may be easier for you to access, an xp10 pad would be a good pads to start with. This all ready depends on what tire your are running as these ultimately limit your brake force.

Edit* just realized you're from BC, Frank Ewald is a great guy and a Gloc distributor from BC. Google his business and give him a call, he will set you straight on the correct pad you need.
Old 02-06-2023, 12:41 AM   #4
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Weeyari is correct, G-Loc were by far my favorite. Unfortunately I ended up tossing the r18's (since sold the car in favor of tracking motorcycles) I had, and in all honesty, unless you were running full on race slicks, those pads would have been way too much.

Carbotech have a similar pad compound and may be easier for you to access, an xp10 pad would be a good pads to start with. This all ready depends on what tire your are running as these ultimately limit your brake force.

Edit* just realized you're from BC, Frank Ewald is a great guy and a Gloc distributor from BC. Google his business and give him a call, he will set you straight on the correct pad you need.
i gotta ask ..cause i tend to drive like my tails on fire...you think those pads would work on the street?..grippy sticky tires, just lookin for ore brake bite, the rotors and braided lines have made a differance but even the best ceramic pads leave me wanting..i run the corners HARD..hills+corners make for a hard hit to the pads

curious also..what ya 2 wheelin?..grew up on dirt bikes and have a wheel swap setup for supermotard of my xl600r..i can go full swing from dirt to street to motard with just a couple wheel swaps and a spring/shock swap
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 03:14 PM   #5
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
i gotta ask ..cause i tend to drive like my tails on fire...you think those pads would work on the street?..grippy sticky tires, just lookin for ore brake bite, the rotors and braided lines have made a differance but even the best ceramic pads leave me wanting..i run the corners HARD..hills+corners make for a hard hit to the pads

curious also..what ya 2 wheelin?..grew up on dirt bikes and have a wheel swap setup for supermotard of my xl600r..i can go full swing from dirt to street to motard with just a couple wheel swaps and a spring/shock swap
GLoc has pads that would work on the street but the r18's I had are the most aggressive track only pad they make and will not work on the street. They don't start grabbing until they are 400F and will make all kinds to noise. But when they are hot and on 100tw slicks they will stop your car like you've never experienced. It was quite a ride the first time I went to the r18's, I couldnt believe how deep I could brake in corners.

I did drive them on the street only 20 mins from the track to my house and everytime I first applied the brakes on the way home I clench my butt cheeks because it felt like there was grease all over the pads. Do not use them on the street, gloc makes much better pads for this purpose.

I only went up to the r18's because I was prematurely wearing down the r12's I previously had. I was getting the brake up to 1800F as I drove st TMP and that road course is notorious for eating up brakes.

I currently track an '05 Suzuki sv650s. It is a fantastic track bike and much cheaper than a car with a whole lot more fun factor. I truly miss tracking my yaris but the experience and physicality of leaning a bike into corners on a technical track by far beats out an experience in a car.

Give Gloc a call and speak with then they'll set you up on the proper pad you need
Old 02-09-2023, 04:48 PM   #6
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
wont argue that a hard lean on a bike vs being "locked" into a racing seat just doesnt compare..i litteraly got my first bike in 1980...while ive spent most my life offroad the hard dig n lean is still there, after supermoto mods to my xl6 ...i get it..ive got a handfull of bikes..for general street duty i adore my zr-7s....which is basicly a hopped up GPZ gobble up hundreds of miles in a day without hurting for it but being able to lay into a corner hard enuff to drag peg all day long and not have to worry about the bumps in the corner that you find on the street...just wish it had a 6th gear LOL

thanks for the pad input
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote