Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-09-2011, 06:36 PM   #1
waydizzy

Drives: Yaris
Blower motor officially not working

Hello all,

The blower motor in my '07 Yaris has stopped working completely. When it first stopped working, I could take the glove box out and start it spinning manually, and it would be fine until I turned the car off. Now it's kaput.

Might I need to replace the whole blower motor, or could it just be the relay? (I promise I did a big google/site search, but I didn't find exactly what I was looking for...) I'm not great at repairing cars, but I think I could do either one on my own...

Thanks for your help!
waydizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:55 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Start by checking the following:

1. 40A HTR Fuse (power feed for the blower motor)- It's one of the large ones in the middle of the under hood fuse panel.

2. 10 GAUGE Fuse (power feed for the HTR relay coil)- In the under dash fuse panel.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
waydizzy

I will get right on that. :) Thanks for your help!
Old 03-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #4
waydizzy

Well, the fuses look great. Any suggestions on what to check next?

Thanks again!
Old 03-22-2011, 10:43 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by waydizzy View Post
Well, the fuses look great. Any suggestions on what to check next?

Thanks again!
First, try pulling the larger connector (4 pin) from the bottom of the blower motor, then with the ignition on, put the blower up to the highest setting and see if it comes on.

Second, with that reconnected, remove the small storage cup to the lower left of the steering column, turn the ignition on, stick your ear by the fuse panel, and listen for the HTR relay to click when you turn the blower switch from off to on an back to off.

Also, do you have a multimeter? The next step after this would be to start taking some voltage measurements to see where the power feed stops.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:55 AM   #6
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by waydizzy View Post
When it first stopped working, I could take the glove box out and start it spinning manually, and it would be fine until I turned the car off. Now it's kaput.
Assuming the blower motor has brushes, maybe they're burnt.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #7
Ray Turner
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007
Pin connector on bottom of blower motor

I worked on a 2007 Yaris this afternoon. It only has a two wire connector on the bottom of the blower motor, not a 4 pin connector. I had no power to the blue wire or the black wire with the key on. All the fuses under the hood Ohmed out good.
Ray Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:56 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Turner View Post
I worked on a 2007 Yaris this afternoon. It only has a two wire connector on the bottom of the blower motor, not a 4 pin connector. I had no power to the blue wire or the black wire with the key on. All the fuses under the hood Ohmed out good.
The other connector, which is the blower resistor (for the speed control) has four pins. The blower resistor has a built in fuse, which is why I suggested to the O.P. above to pull the connector from it and put the fan on its highest setting, which bypassed the resistor.

Did you check the fuses that I mentioned above? One of the two is under the dash, not under the hood.
Old 08-31-2021, 11:28 AM   #9
Kesa091518

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
CTscott. Followed your advice. Removed 4 pin and blower worked briefly on highest setting before stopping. Guessing I need to replace my blower resistor then? Any advice on how to reach that panel behind the dash? You have been so helpful thanks! 07 Yaris.

Also, since it only worked briefly when I bypassed the resistor, did I blow another fuse?

Thanks again
Kesa091518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 05:43 PM   #10
Kesa091518

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
I actually replaced the resistor and when I turned the ignition and blower on, it did the same thing. Motor Whirled around for a few seconds then stopped. Any new suggestions? Could use the help. Thanks!
Kesa091518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 04:34 AM   #11
rayfloyd170

Drives: Yaris 2016 1.3 Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesa091518 View Post
I actually replaced the resistor and when I turned the ignition and blower on, it did the same thing. Motor Whirled around for a few seconds then stopped. Any new suggestions? Could use the help. Thanks!

Hi, did you solve this problem?

I am guessing it has worn-out carbon brushes.
I am also expecting the same thing will happen to mine.
I am just starting with the intermittent whirling noise and decreased air flow then slight tapping the bottom makes it go back to normal airflow.

I dont know if the blower motor is serviceable like we can replace the internal brushes or they are just disposable.
rayfloyd170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 02:48 AM   #12
rayfloyd170

Drives: Yaris 2016 1.3 Manual
Finally, i have realized this can be repaired eternally but the question is do you want to repair it considering the cost of a new blower motor is so cheap for a knock off brand?

check the link on my repair. i made this as spare as i already replaced with a genuine denso motor

https://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sh...657#post843657
rayfloyd170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 08:21 PM   #13
Compeer

Drives: NCP90 TRD Yaris Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfloyd170 View Post
Finally, i have realized this can be repaired eternally but the question is do you want to repair it considering the cost of a new blower motor is so cheap for a knock off brand?

check the link on my repair. i made this as spare as i already replaced with a genuine denso motor

https://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sh...657#post843657
Honestly I'd rather get one from a the wreckers thats mint than get a knock off brand.

The toyota one will be better quality.
Compeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 01:45 AM   #14
bairjo

screw that. You must be unemployed or retired to chase down an old used blower instead of a nice new blower. They are so easy to replace even if you did it every year.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 04:41 AM   #15
Compeer

Drives: NCP90 TRD Yaris Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by bairjo View Post
screw that. You must be unemployed or retired to chase down an old used blower instead of a nice new blower. They are so easy to replace even if you did it every year.
Chase down? its the same blower in sooo many toyotas. And they almost never fail, why pay more for something that already exists in abudance and is made by toyota.

If you get one a new toyota one and its reasonable price makes sense, but otherwise id always rather use toyota over chinese imitation.
Compeer is offline   Reply With Quote