Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #1
lcpete

Drives: 1.33 yaris
2009 oil filter

Hi
First post here
We are a 2 yaris family my wifes is a 2009 and mine a 2011 both 1.33
Anyway decided to start servicing the wifes car as its out of warranty and I've always serviced our cars and motorbikes
I went to main dealers and bought oil and filter and noticed that the oil filter is a separate paper one complete with o rings
I have seen ones like this on motorbikes but not cars assume its just a matter of taking the cover off and replacing the paper filter and o rings
Not actually looked under car yet but I'm sure its straightforward enough but is the any special precautions I should be aware of?
lcpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
Nicfin
Nic

Drives: 2008 3-Door Liftback Manual
I had no idea the Yaris would have a filter like that, but I see you are in the UK. In case you haven't, I would check your engine to see if it has an external oil filter. Perhaps they gave you the wrong one?

If it is the correct filter, I wouldn't think it would be too difficult. I've used that type on my motorcycle years ago and helped my friend change the ones on his bike when we were kids. I never did like them on the motorcycles as it was easy to strip the bolts. I am sure the design is much better on the Yaris.

Good luck.
Nicfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:33 PM   #3
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
UK cars might have a different set up, but in the US all Yaris have a spin on oil filter, not a cartridge like the one you've been given. Don't pull the drain plug till you confirm what you have.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:50 PM   #4
lcpete

Thanks will have a look and check
My wife went to the garage and bought the oil and filter I was surprised when I saw the filter not seen one like that on a car before
I did a Google search and could not find any info at all
But will definitely check before I drain the oil
Old 04-01-2012, 11:21 PM   #5
lcpete

Just found out ,did a search on a UK toyota parts supplier it is the right filter
After 2009 for UK 1.33 engines they changed to the paper cartridge type very odd , modern motorbikes don't even use those anymore
Will have a look underneath the car and make sure I can get the cover off before I drain the oil
Old 04-02-2012, 01:34 PM   #6
Geoff Peace

Drives: Yaris 1.33 litre 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcpete View Post
Just found out ,did a search on a UK toyota parts supplier it is the right filter
After 2009 for UK 1.33 engines they changed to the paper cartridge type very odd , modern motorbikes don't even use those anymore
Will have a look underneath the car and make sure I can get the cover off before I drain the oil
The 1.33 engine does have this type of filter. Remove the O rings and smear the new ones with grease to retain them and help them seat, take note of which way round the filter is fitted, there may be a sprung plate under the filter too. Just a note, prior to about 1970 all car filters were of this type, the spin on can replaced them as it was quicker to fit. Now many cars have reverted to the element type as it is more 'environmentally friendly'. Before the element filter cars had a roll of fine wire mesh which was removed, washed and replaced! Those were the days! Couldyou please post the Toyota part number for this filter?

Regards Geoff Peace.
Geoff Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:42 PM   #7
lcpete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Peace View Post
The 1.33 engine does have this type of filter. Remove the O rings and smear the new ones with grease to retain them and help them seat, take note of which way round the filter is fitted, there may be a sprung plate under the filter too. Just a note, prior to about 1970 all car filters were of this type, the spin on can replaced them as it was quicker to fit. Now many cars have reverted to the element type as it is more 'environmentally friendly'. Before the element filter cars had a roll of fine wire mesh which was removed, washed and replaced! Those were the days! Couldyou please post the Toyota part number for this filter?

Regards Geoff Peace.
Hi Geoff thanks very much am on nights at work at the mo will post number asap
Old 04-03-2012, 09:01 AM   #8
lcpete

Hi Geoff part no of Toyota filter is 04152-40060
Old 04-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #9
Geoff Peace

Drives: Yaris 1.33 litre 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcpete View Post
Hi Geoff part no of Toyota filter is 04152-40060
Thanyou very much for the information.

Regards Geoff Peace.
Geoff Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #10
jackcon
I've made a post!

Drives: Jeep Grand Cherokee for now.
Fine Wire Mesh

Out of pure curiosity....

Why do they not go back to this roll of fine wire mesh? If it was so easy for all of us to just use and wash out, "if it aint broke, dont fix it".

What size wire mesh did this used to be? Did it look like the "Filter Wire Cloth" shown here: http://www.bwire.com/

If so, can we somehow buy some mesh and install it ourselves to be used repeeatedly and washed off?
jackcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #11
DARKSCOPE001

Drives: 2011 Yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackcon View Post
Out of pure curiosity....

Why do they not go back to this roll of fine wire mesh? If it was so easy for all of us to just use and wash out, "if it aint broke, dont fix it".

What size wire mesh did this used to be? Did it look like the "Filter Wire Cloth" shown here: http://www.bwire.com/

If so, can we somehow buy some mesh and install it ourselves to be used repeeatedly and washed off?
Bleh! reminds me of the "mesh type" filters in some of the engines at A&P school. Amazing some of those engines had them considering even light aircraft engines are more than our cars i would think they would come with a spin on style filter. I did a fake "service bulletin" once installing an aftermarket pump designed to accept a spin on style filter.

I think its mostly just ease of use. if your going to pull a nasty dirty oily filter element out of the car after cleaning it and putting new o rings and whatever its just as cheep to have the cartridge type or the spin on type. Plus i like the idea of a nice new clean filter not a "washed one" also glass fiber filtering media for me please

Thanks
Sean Scott
DARKSCOPE001 is offline   Reply With Quote