Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-06-2023, 07:43 PM   #55
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
between your thread and my perpetual needing to re-adjust the drums..has got me re-thinking disc rears...

now hear me out...stock front yaris rotors put on the rear using XB rear calipers..i belive i could keep my 14inch aluminum wheels..the XB rear calipers solve the E-brake issue without the need for a drum hat rotor....tho i suspect id need an adapter mounting plate similar to yours but 1/4 inch of more offset in the rear of a stock yaris drum beam would square up the wheelbase nicely
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 08:25 PM   #56
Compeer

Drives: NCP90 TRD Yaris Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
between your thread and my perpetual needing to re-adjust the drums..has got me re-thinking disc rears...

now hear me out...stock front yaris rotors put on the rear using XB rear calipers..i belive i could keep my 14inch aluminum wheels..the XB rear calipers solve the E-brake issue without the need for a drum hat rotor....tho i suspect id need an adapter mounting plate similar to yours but 1/4 inch of more offset in the rear of a stock yaris drum beam would square up the wheelbase nicely
http://www.speedhunters.com/2019/04/...ng-conversion/

Yet another amazing New Zealand build here but this one they show you how they modify there BB to increase track width by just attaching the same tabs as the brake caliper version had.
Compeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 11:29 AM   #57
Neinris

Drives: 08 Yaris 3 Door Hatchback
Quote:

If you didn't know, the front wheels' track are wider than the rear by 10mm (5mm on each side), adding the 1/4 inch plate will make the rear 2mm wider than the front (1mm on each side).

How would the xB's rear caliper mount on the rear axle frame? Or are you swapping out the axle frames?
Neinris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 11:50 AM   #58
Neinris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compeer View Post
http://www.speedhunters.com/2019/04/...ng-conversion/

Yet another amazing New Zealand build here but this one they show you how they modify there BB to increase track width by just attaching the same tabs as the brake caliper version had.
Nice! But that rear disc conversion uses the drums for the parking brake. My conversion uses the discs as the parking brake.
Old 02-07-2023, 12:01 PM   #59
Neinris

Ultimately…

I the end, here’s what mine will look like:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg EF9D2B40-79D9-4A36-AA71-B53322500249.jpeg (276.9 KB, 48 views)
Old 02-07-2023, 12:49 PM   #60
sh0rtlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neinris View Post
If you didn't know, the front wheels' track are wider than the rear by 10mm (5mm on each side), adding the 1/4 inch plate will make the rear 2mm wider than the front (1mm on each side).

How would the xB's rear caliper mount on the rear axle frame? Or are you swapping out the axle frames?
the issue i ran into when looking at the XA brakes..is the fact that they are all drum in the states but disc elsewhere in the world.....annoying at best

and like you said the bonus is having the caliper be the hand brake and not have a set of drums under it and the second gen XB calipers are setup exactly like that and will sit over the yaris front rotors perfectly....the trick becomes mounting and i "think" there may be a solution to not using a spacer and just welding the caliper mount directly to the beam, its a question of how well the alignment sits for doing so
Old 02-08-2023, 07:20 AM   #61
Neinris

Quote:
the issue i ran into when looking at the XA brakes..is the fact that they are all drum in the states but disc elsewhere in the world.....annoying at best

and like you said the bonus is having the caliper be the hand brake and not have a set of drums under it and the second gen XB calipers are setup exactly like that and will sit over the yaris front rotors perfectly....the trick becomes mounting and i "think" there may be a solution to not using a spacer and just welding the caliper mount directly to the beam, its a question of how well the alignment sits for doing so
Once I get to mounted and tested for a few months I’ll let you know if there’s any mounting issue. I’m also planning on making another mounting plate for the Yaris SE caliper, which are clocked different than the Corolla calipers.
Old 02-08-2023, 12:37 PM   #62
sh0rtlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neinris View Post
Once I get to mounted and tested for a few months I’ll let you know if there’s any mounting issue. I’m also planning on making another mounting plate for the Yaris SE caliper, which are clocked different than the Corolla calipers.
your running the bigger rotors tho right?...i might be intrested in a set of plates from you even if i need to modify them slighty

im hell bent on keeping my 14 inch wheels....but finding a way to make a rear disc fit is looking really good right now...i have to re-adjust the rear drums every month

bonus is i allready have another set of front rotors sitting waiting
Old 02-08-2023, 01:15 PM   #63
Neinris

Quote:
your running the bigger rotors tho right?...i might be intrested in a set of plates from you even if i need to modify them slighty

im hell bent on keeping my 14 inch wheels....but finding a way to make a rear disc fit is looking really good right now...i have to re-adjust the rear drums every month

bonus is i allready have another set of front rotors sitting waiting
I do have the bigger rotors up front from the later model Yaris SE if that's what you're asking. I don't think they'll fit in 14" wheels, they barely fit in my 15" wheels.
Seeing some's rear disc conversion like Compeer, who also has a set of 15" wheels, shows how close the caliper gets to the rear wheels. The stock front rotor size for none SE are 255mm, the rear rotors are 259mm. The rear calipers are smaller and seem to have a lower profile than the front calipers, so the rear disc conversion might still work for 14" wheels. If you don't have ABS, you'd have to get a brake balancer/proportioning valve for the rear line, since the rear disc will be bigger. Ditch using the front rotors for the rear, buy rear disc from RockAuto, I think they were $20 each when I bought mine.
Old 02-09-2023, 01:22 AM   #64
sh0rtlife

curiosity why not use a set of fronts?..ive got matching set on the shelf drilled/slotted that i could use...and it seems to me if you had matching front/rear rotor size youd have less brake bias issues..sure youd still need the prop valve and to tweak it to perfection but there would be a whole lot less need to compensate with matched size on all 4...heck i bet you could balance it out some more by useing a "softer" pad in the back than the front

i can get full lock out of the fronts if i really REALLY get on it tho its useualy just 1 not both, so adding brakeing to the rear would be glorious..but im not losing my 14s...so im looking for a solve..and i think youve solved "most" of it

also looking at getting a toaster!..a gen1 xb and i know thats the same parts under it and 14's are most likely what will be on it as well...so if i can make this work on the yaris it would be the same parts on the xb
Old 02-09-2023, 08:55 AM   #65
Neinris

Quote:
curiosity why not use a set of fronts?..ive got matching set on the shelf drilled/slotted that i could use...and it seems to me if you had matching front/rear rotor size youd have less brake bias issues..sure youd still need the prop valve and to tweak it to perfection but there would be a whole lot less need to compensate with matched size on all 4...heck i bet you could balance it out some more by useing a "softer" pad in the back than the front

i can get full lock out of the fronts if i really REALLY get on it tho its useualy just 1 not both, so adding brakeing to the rear would be glorious..but im not losing my 14s...so im looking for a solve..and i think youve solved "most" of it

also looking at getting a toaster!..a gen1 xb and i know thats the same parts under it and 14's are most likely what will be on it as well...so if i can make this work on the yaris it would be the same parts on the xb
The calipers for the rear (with parking brakes) are made for solid rotors, not slotted, so they're really narrow. Not even the Supra rear calipers would work, their rear rotors are slotted, but only 16mm thick, the Yaris' front rotors are 22mm thick. So I'm curious, what caliper were you thinking of using that would work with the front rotors and has parking brake? Actually, I think I still have my old front rotors, when I get home today I'll see if they fit through the rear calipers slit and post a picture for you.
Old 02-09-2023, 04:39 PM   #66
sh0rtlife

i was eyeballing the second gen XB rear calipers with built in hand brake
Old 02-09-2023, 06:07 PM   #67
Neinris

Quote:
i was eyeballing the second gen XB rear calipers with built in hand brake
Which xB, the 2nd GEN? Those rotors are bigger, 279mm, and only 10mm thick. The Yaris front rotors don't fit in the Corolla/Yaris rear caliper by the way. It's too thick. Sorry no pic, I just got home, and it's already dark outside. The MR-2 rear caliper might work for what you're trying to do, but you're modifying the parking brake cable to make it work.
Old 02-09-2023, 06:15 PM   #68
sh0rtlife

oof yeah i didnt think about the thickness..tho your right the mr2 rear caliper looks serviceable

if i could find a "solid" rotor that was thin enough and similar DIA as the yaris fronts that would be ideal but im not sure such an animal exists in the 4x100...the alternative would be to get someone to "mill" down a set of the rears your using down to the same dia as the yaris fronts..but id really like it to be as "off the shelf" as possible

let me know what the max thickness a rolla calipers will fit ?...a bit of digging shows that a possible solution may be mazda miata mx5 rears 251x9mm thick correct center bore..its a question of offset and hub at that point

Last edited by sh0rtlife; 02-09-2023 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-09-2023, 08:40 PM   #69
Neinris

Quote:
oof yeah i didnt think about the thickness..tho your right the mr2 rear caliper looks serviceable

if i could find a "solid" rotor that was thin enough and similar DIA as the yaris fronts that would be ideal but im not sure such an animal exists in the 4x100...the alternative would be to get someone to "mill" down a set of the rears your using down to the same dia as the yaris fronts..but id really like it to be as "off the shelf" as possible

let me know what the max thickness a rolla calipers will fit ?...a bit of digging shows that a possible solution may be mazda miata mx5 rears 251x9mm thick correct center bore..its a question of offset and hub at that point
Like I said, the Yaris SE rotors are only 5mm bigger in diameter than the front. Maybe you can get away with using steel braided hoses upfront and regular rubber hoses in the rear to soften the brake pressure in the rear.
Old 02-09-2023, 09:11 PM   #70
sh0rtlife

5mm when your on 14s is ALOT lol when your talking about bigger calipers

i just made note than an 03 prius..uses 255mm rear rotors...prius rotors and calipers should clear, at that point its mounting them..and any weirdness with the hand brake cables

how are you handling the brake cables anyway
Old 02-10-2023, 08:30 AM   #71
Neinris

Quote:
5mm when your on 14s is ALOT lol when your talking about bigger calipers

i just made note than an 03 prius..uses 255mm rear rotors...prius rotors and calipers should clear, at that point its mounting them..and any weirdness with the hand brake cables

how are you handling the brake cables anyway
I'm using the 2012 Yaris SE parking cables, they'll work with the Corolla calipers, that's one of the first thing I looked at before I envisioned the swap. With the exception of the hangers that they come with, they're pretty much a drop in. I'd have to route it differently than the Yaris though, because the mechanism for the Corolla pulls from the top. And the Corolla's calipers has to be clocked around 2 (driver side) and 10 (passenger side) O'clock to point the bleeder valve up. The Yaris' calipers are fine to be at 3 and 9 O'clock since the bleeder valve will already be pointing slightly upwards. See pics below, the shinny caliper is for the Yaris.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Corolla rear caliper.jpg (114.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Yaris rear caliper.jpg (139.2 KB, 28 views)
Old 02-10-2023, 03:10 PM   #72
Neinris

I just realized I could run just one long rubber hose per side to the rear calipers instead of having multiple couplings. I’ll buy the Corolla rear brake lines and see if they’re long enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D0B1750D-439F-4CBB-88AD-013458E820E4.jpeg (244.9 KB, 27 views)