Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Australia
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-26-2009, 08:09 AM   #19
Masteraal

Drives: Black Yaris YRS 3dr Manual
k3nn4 takes some pics for me i was looking at the bluepack too :) thanks mate
Masteraal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:06 AM   #20
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerman86 View Post
He says his car doesn't have DRL.
uhmm as far as i know all yaris has day time running light DRL.... thats the only reason why its flickering.. drl run on 10 volts where hid needs 12 v at least otherwise itll flicker. ..

relay low beam..although it may be on the whole time you can always use high beam on day time..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:19 PM   #21
spookz
JDM yO!

Drives: '09 3dr. 5-spd
The Yaris in Australia does not have DRL.. All our lights are controlled manually through the switch only.

spookz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:41 AM   #22
bimmerman86

Drives: 09 Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
uhmm as far as i know all yaris has day time running light DRL.... thats the only reason why its flickering.. drl run on 10 volts where hid needs 12 v at least otherwise itll flicker. ..

relay low beam..although it may be on the whole time you can always use high beam on day time..
Wouldn't an easy way to determine if he does have DRL be the light sensor? Is it a black bubble dome barely noticeable in the forward side of the dashboard like in my Corolla? I'll see if he has it next time I see him. I was also thinking , to bypass the DRL function without messing with all the wires and relays, what about just blocking the light to the sensor? maybe electrical tape over it or get fancy and make a molded cap?
bimmerman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:56 AM   #23
marcus
toyota

just use a relay should still be plug and play.. main point of relay is run 12 v on the hid rather than 10v input from having drl all u need to run is one wire to the battery..no messin around with drl relay or stock wires. the kit should come with the hids
Old 01-29-2009, 04:16 PM   #24
bimmerman86

can you explain this one a bit?
Old 01-29-2009, 04:37 PM   #25
marcus
toyota

Quote:
can you explain this one a bit?
the hid kit should come with relay..the yaris stock plugs going to stock headlight will now go to the relay kit and then the relay kit has wires to run to the battery and the other set of wires to the hid ballast.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:44 AM   #26
bimmerman86

ummmm... nope. this kit goes from the stock connector straight to the halogen bulb on one side, and the other side to a connection to the ballast which then goes to the Xenon bulb. This was the first H4 kit I've gotten so I didn't suspect anything missing. I guess it's live and learn. So what would you recommend to complete the circuit properly? a specific relay?
Old 01-30-2009, 08:41 AM   #27
lunjiaow

Drives: Yaris
You must have the Low beam HID. The one with Relay Kit is the HI/LO beam.
lunjiaow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:10 AM   #28
marcus
toyota

Quote:
ummmm... nope. this kit goes from the stock connector straight to the halogen bulb on one side, and the other side to a connection to the ballast which then goes to the Xenon bulb. This was the first H4 kit I've gotten so I didn't suspect anything missing. I guess it's live and learn. So what would you recommend to complete the circuit properly? a specific relay?
hmm that sucks.. anyways 2 ways to do it either get a relay kit. which cost money or.. swith wire.. use high beam wire to run hid the only thing is you have to use high beam to run hid every night .. are you sure u dont have DRL!
Old 01-30-2009, 12:31 PM   #29
bimmerman86

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
hmm that sucks.. anyways 2 ways to do it either get a relay kit. which cost money or.. swith wire.. use high beam wire to run hid the only thing is you have to use high beam to run hid every night .. are you sure u dont have DRL!
He said he's positive he doesn't. I live 3 hours away, so I can't stop by his house to spy the car myself. It's gonna be a couple of weeks before I can do that. he said He was going to go the high beam wire route. I just don't like rigging things that are supposed to be ready to go.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:07 PM   #30
marcus
toyota

well good luck ... the flicker issue can only be cause by drl..runing less that 12 volts during day time running light is on. or it could be the hid ballast being defective.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:42 PM   #31
bimmerman86

Ok, here's what I resolved. The flicker was due to a bad ballast. We replaced the ballasts. Lights now work. BUT, backwards. The halogen lights up with intensity of low beam and xenon is extremely bright. Switched the leads around, that only changes when each one lights up. The xenon is too bright to drive with. Can't even tell which tint the light is. Any ideas?