Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > UK
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-26-2011, 02:49 AM   #1
adioldham

Drives: Yaris D4D
Engine problem with 2009 Yaris D4D ?

I have a 2009 Yaris D4D. I have had to top it up with 5 litres of oil over 12 months, after just 20,000 miles.

Also, at random intervals, for no apparent reason, there is a big cloud of blue smoke, with an accompanying burning smell, from the exhaust. Again randomly, it starts to chug like an old bus as if it is about to stall but doesn't (cold or wamr engine, no difference)

The dealer doesn't think there is a problem with the oil consumption cos Toyota say that 1 litre per 1,000 miles is OK and at the 20K service said that "the new leaner greener engines use more oil" (!) but on the service report it then said "oil low, require oil consumption test after 500 miles". When I asked the service manager he said that the head technician was just being cautious" and that "the filters were a bit dirty is all " but the problems were still there next day
I feel that there is something badly needing attention

Can anyone suggest what could be wrong and what I can do next?
Thanks
adioldham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
mec77723
Mark

Drives: toyota yaris 1.4 D4D
I have a yaris 2010 d4d it too burns/consumes at a rate ive never experienced with a toyota prevously owning 37 new toyotas.
only check oil when engine has been running 5 mins and settled 5 mins check both side of dipstick as one side only will be correct
mec77723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:56 AM   #3
mec77723
Mark

Drives: toyota yaris 1.4 D4D
im also an ADI
mec77723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:47 PM   #4
liam6200

Drives: 2010 Yaris 1.4d
Im a mechanic at toyota, your turbo will be burning your oil and giving you the blue smoke, if you take the bottom pipe of the intercooler youl get about a cup full of oil out of it, that shouldnt be ther!

im 99% sure it will be the turbo mate
liam6200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:31 PM   #5
746watts

Drives: 2014 yaris hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by adioldham View Post

Also, at random intervals, for no apparent reason, there is a big cloud of blue smoke, with an accompanying burning smell, from the exhaust. Again randomly, it starts to chug like an old bus as if it is about to stall but doesn't (cold or wamr engine, no difference)
I had that chugging problem with my 08 after I didn't use it for 3 weeks due to loads of snow, the attached piccy shows the crankcase emission recycling valve (just north of the dipstick) which stuck and caused the chugging and a blast of blue smoke out my pipe. My Toyota dealer identified the fault in 5 mins and said that valve gets carboned up and can get stuck if not cleaned. They fitted a new one and it's running sweet ever since.
Also I have 136,000 kms up on my Yaris and I've never had a problem with excessive oil consumption. I now change oil and filter every 10,000 kms and initially I noticed kms over 10,000 the oil would start to be consumed as it got thinner, hence my reason for servicing at 10,000 kms.

My workmate has an Auris 1.4 D4D 09 UK import into Ireland and it's burning oil like mad, oil warning came on after less than 10,000kms. She's not a happy bunny.
Attached Images

746watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:37 AM   #6
adioldham

Drives: Yaris D4D
I know this is a old thread but I'm still having problems. After 3 attempts at sorting this out / servicing the car, I suggested to the chief technician that it could be that the EGR valve needed cleaning out. He looked at me surprised (I am a Lady of a Certain Age who he prolly thought wouldn't know about these things) but took it in yet again and promised to also put on a new vac pump "cos they sometimes go wrong".
When I picked it up he said the EGR valve was totally clogged up with carbon and suggested that to stop it happening again I should "give it a good rev up now and them, or a good run down the motorway".
That sort of driving is not my way but I did it for another 7,000 miles before it started chugging again. No blue smoke now but surely I shouldn't have to do this on a new car (as it was when the problem started) ? So it will have to go in again to be cleaned out.

BTW, this car had to have a new clutch at 3 months old as the clutch release bearing was faulty (that was my suggestion for a remedy, not the dealer- he said the idling being noisy was the oil getting thinner cos the weather had got warmer !)
Not long after they replaced the chrome gear knob trim that was so sharp that it cut my hand. Within a year it had a new rear screen cos the bottom 2 lines of the demister wiring stopped working, and also a new hatch lock cos the original got stuck shut.

I am looking to replace this car as it will soon be 2 years old and run out of warranty. If you were me, would you buy another Toyota Yaris ?
adioldham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:17 AM   #7
skhan011
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris D4D - SR
Exclamation Yaris Losing power

Hi - I have Yaris D4D - SR 2008 plate. recently it start losing power while driving on long drives like on motorway.

but strangely after I park up and restart the car it drives perfectly until it happens again. I have taken it to the garage and got the computer hooked on it but nothing came up.

I have been advised by Toyota that in their cars there is an automatic reset function so when car gets switched off it resets everything hence its nothing is showing up on the computer.

Has anyone else experienced similar problem? and any solutions.

I have checked some forums and the thing which is keep on coming up is

blocked EGR valve.
maf sensor,
fuel filter
scv valves
skhan011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:56 PM   #8
aaron.jez

Drives: 2002 Toyota Yaris 1.4 TD 1ND
fuel problem with 02 yaris D4D

Hi guys..my 02 toyota yaris 1.4 D4D 1ND engine has a issue with starting,
It just won't give a sign of firing of any sort, I tried pull starting it but it just turned the engine over and still nothing, So these are the diagnostics that I came up with:
firstly someone filled my tank with petrol and before I knew about that I drove for a good many kilometres than the Yaris just started loosing its power and blackish purple smoke started coming out like clouds out the exhaust. Then of course it eventually stopped for good and wouldn't fire up. which made me thinking, so I started by taking the injectors out and found one to be a little bit burned on the tip, the next thing I did which should of been the first was check the fuel filter for dirt, but along with dirt I found that it was full of petrol, so that explained my loss of power problem and smoke, but why it won't start now I have no Idea, except that the full pump don't seem to be giving enough pressure to the common rail, which out of course not get the injectors working and that would resolve the engine not firing up, so is there any way of bleeding the fuel/pump or does that mean that my fuel pump is gone?
So please any help guys would be greatly appreciated.

cheers Aaron.
aaron.jez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:42 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron.jez View Post
Hi guys..my 02 toyota yaris 1.4 D4D 1ND engine has a issue with starting,
It just won't give a sign of firing of any sort, I tried pull starting it but it just turned the engine over and still nothing, So these are the diagnostics that I came up with:
firstly someone filled my tank with petrol and before I knew about that I drove for a good many kilometres than the Yaris just started loosing its power and blackish purple smoke started coming out like clouds out the exhaust. Then of course it eventually stopped for good and wouldn't fire up. which made me thinking, so I started by taking the injectors out and found one to be a little bit burned on the tip, the next thing I did which should of been the first was check the fuel filter for dirt, but along with dirt I found that it was full of petrol, so that explained my loss of power problem and smoke, but why it won't start now I have no Idea, except that the full pump don't seem to be giving enough pressure to the common rail, which out of course not get the injectors working and that would resolve the engine not firing up, so is there any way of bleeding the fuel/pump or does that mean that my fuel pump is gone?
So please any help guys would be greatly appreciated.

cheers Aaron.

Running petrol in a diesel engine can be catastrophic, since gasoline detonates at much lower compression than diesel and gas is a solvent, where diesel is a lubricant.

Start with completely purging the system of gasoline (drain the tank and fuel lines) and replace the fuel filter.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:52 AM   #10
aaron.jez

Drives: 2002 Toyota Yaris 1.4 TD 1ND
yep done that, but still it won't even think of starting.
aaron.jez is offline   Reply With Quote