Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-20-2006, 10:55 AM   #1
barryware

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Tach - Scangauge II

Hello everyone..

I have read several posts in regards to the US Yaris A/T with no tach. I also read a post or two in regards to the ScanGuard II made by Linear-Logic.

After reading the posts, I ordered the ScanGuard device. I do not work for Linear Logic.

If you have the bucks, I highly recommend it. It has everything. Gages, trip computer, and it will report any MIL codes and allow you to clear them.

I just got it and have not really played with it too much but I got it installed, setup and running in a matter of minutes. I placed it on top of the steering wheel column. It just kinda wedges in and no mounting brackets or stickies are needed. When in place, you would have to move it to access the storage compartment in front of the steering wheel.

I think it is really cool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02553.JPG (61.0 KB, 911 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02554.JPG (63.1 KB, 852 views)
barryware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:12 AM   #2
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
How long of a cord does it have? Considering a nice (different) install when I get mine.
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:17 AM   #3
YamilR

Drives: Absolutely Red Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to YamilR
Attached to?

Is the scangauge just "hanging" in there? or is holding by something Also can you show detail pictures of how you routed the cable?

PS: Nevermind you answered my question in your post, but please...the pictures
YamilR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:32 AM   #4
barryware

The cord is 6 feet long. It just plugs into the OBD connector. The wire exits the male plug in a 90 degree fashion so unless you look, you don't see it.

Yes.. It is just hanging there. However, the device has provisions for the wire to attach to the back or the right side of the device. I have the wire plugged into the back. It is the wire & plug that actually wedges into the position showed in the pictures. It doesn't move.

It comes with velcro strips but I would rather not start sticking things in exposed areas of the interior.

After I think about it for a bit, I am sure that I will change the position or mount it in a more professional manner but for now it is more than functional and I have not had to do any cutting, drilling, or gluing in the interior.

The wire is routed from the OBD connector of the car, up under the plastic panel that is removable right under the drivers side of the dash. Here I have it coiled up and the wire runs up and exits between the top of the steering column and the rubber curtain between the dash and the top of the steering column. I suppose that if you started raising and lowering the position of the steering wheel, it could get pinched. My steering wheel is all the way down and I never move it.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:43 AM   #5
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
Hmm and to think after all these years i thaught the Tach was a legal thing for all cars anywhere.

I feel your pain.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:56 PM   #6
YamilR

Drives: Absolutely Red Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to YamilR
Setup?

Thats a nice setup you got there with the Scanguard, do you mind a quick DIY?

Last edited by YamilR; 10-20-2006 at 10:06 PM.
YamilR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:03 PM   #7
barryware

Echo.... That is a nice setup. I still have my stock radio which takes up the whole bay. I had no plans to change it out till now...
Old 09-09-2007, 11:17 AM   #8
lgcharlot
'07 YARIS HB 5-SPEED

Drives: '07 yaris 3-door hatchback
I am going to order a ScanGuage myself, but after contacting LinearLogic for some additional info, here's an FYI regarding it's use as a tach: The maximum update rate for the Tachometer function is only once per two seconds. This is too slow to prevent the driver from over-revving under some circumstances. The TACH function on the SGII is intended primarily as a reference for checking the calibration of your Analog tach if you have one, and as a diagnostic tool for engine servicing and repair. For regular driving LinearLogic recommends you install a regular analog tach as the needle will follow real-time changes in engine speed. Good quality analog tachs should reach 90% of full-scale in 1/10 of a second or less.

I want to install a SGII primarily for the fuel economy readout and to read trouble codes.
lgcharlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:29 AM   #9
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
Any Idea when the new scangauge is gonna be released. As with anything It will be better for sure. I think I may wait a bit!
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 05:46 AM   #10
drecian

Drives: '07 YR 3dr
I've found that even with the update rate as the fastest setting, the RPM readout still lags a little, but enough to not be of any real use on hte track or during spirited driving. I have an A'PEXi Rev/Speed meter as a tach, mounted next to the Scangauge inside the driver's glovebox, so I can close the lid and hide it all away.

:)

drecian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:16 PM   #11
akanone
I've made a post!

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
So where did you tie in for the tach?

and yes I see this is a very old post but maybe somebody will see it?
akanone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:23 PM   #12
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
This plugs into the OBD II port near the lever where you open the hood.
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:53 AM   #13
jarrieta

Drives: Yaris Liftback 2010
Hi, this is an old post but I'd like to ask a question about this. I'm from the Philippines and I heard the Scan Gauge 2 doesn't work on the Vios (Yaris sedan here); does anyone know if this will work with the Yaris (HB)? I know the Vios is assembled here but the Yaris is an import from Thailand.
jarrieta is offline   Reply With Quote