Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-22-2014, 11:44 PM   #1
KTS

Drives: Vitz RS
SC14 Supercharger Question

Hello everyone,
If I am able to get my hands on a Toyota SC14 supercharger what is mechanically necessary for installation on a 2007 Vitz RS?
I am familiar with turbocharging but have very limited knowledge about superchargers.

Parts I already had for turbocharging;
EMS-4, T25 and T28 turbo, 1zzfe injectors, AEM water/meth kit, AEM wideband kit, Intercooler (a top and a front mount) and piping, 1zz throttle. I will be fabricating my exhaust manifold next few weeks.

Should I just proceed with my turbo project or at this point will the supercharger route be worth it.

I know that the blitz kit put out about 150whp and that I can get more out of it if I turbo charged but either way I will be pleased with the power for the while.

Thanks guys
KTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:42 AM   #2
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
It looks like the SC14 is an Ogura compressor--the same company that makes the Blitz unit--so there may be some compatible aftermarket parts available. From the pictures I can find online, it has a magnetic clutch: that means you don't need a blowoff valve if you can electrically switch the clutch. The clutch itself is too close to the compressor to use the Blitz manifold and intake tube, so you would have to fabricate the extension shaft and housing and/or the manifold and intake tube from scratch. You would also need a way to force the ECU into open loop mode under boost so that you can use your own fuel maps to prevent running lean. I'm sure I'm forgetting something else, but this is basically what you're up against.

Bottom line: you would basically need an entire Blitz kit to make it work without fabricating a large number of difficult parts. If you already have 80% of your turbo kit, you should probably just go that route.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:07 AM   #3
KTS

You would also need a way to force the ECU into open loop mode under boost so that you can use your own fuel maps to prevent running lean.

Thanks for the info.
how can this be done? Is it as simple as removing the O2 sensor on the exhaust manifold?

I guess you are right just stick with what I know; Turbocharged systems and their designs.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:37 PM   #4
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTS View Post
how can this be done? Is it as simple as removing the O2 sensor on the exhaust manifold?
The Blitz kit comes with an electronics box that monitors the throttle position and then signals the engine ECU to go into open loop when the clutch is activated. If you're handy with circuits and electronics, you could probably sort it out. If not, the turbo is probably your best bet.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:07 PM   #5
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
I would think that you could use the EMS-4 in a piggyback configuration with the harness on that SC. You would have to do the same even if you went turbo to adjust your fuel delivery. If Cranky is right that there could be serious similarities with the Blitz then you could be in business with a stable build and bolt on type of application rather than all the stuff required for a turbo setup.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:38 PM   #6
KTS

good points guys however I am going to go along with the turbo setup instead of the supercharger route.
I am somewhat handy with circuits and electronics and a bit mechanically inclined therefore as usual it will all be a diy with help from this community.
I already have the EMS-4 wired onto a separate harness that's just needed to be installed in the car.
Thanks for the info guys and lease allow me to ask more questions in d future