Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-14-2006, 09:28 PM   #37
Robb

Drives: MR2
I don't know why everybody is comparing the Fit vs. Yaris. They are completely different cars IMHO. They should be comparing the Fit againist the Suzuki Aerio SX.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 10:50 PM   #38
corey415

Drives: 95 Integra
The Suzuki Aerio is in a different class. It has a 2.3L w/ 155hp.

I think a more apt comparison with the Fit would be the Scion xA.
corey415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:23 AM   #39
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by why?
The Yaris is the ONLY CAR IN HISTORY to win both COY awards for EUROPE and JAPAN in the same year.
Keep in mind, that was the last generation, though.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:52 AM   #40
AestheticalFilm

Drives: Ford Taurus...ew yeah i know
saw a fit today, looks like a mini van for the guy who doesnt want to admit that he drives a mini van
AestheticalFilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:32 PM   #41
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!

Drives: Lagann. ;P
Quote:
Originally Posted by AestheticalFilm
saw a fit today, looks like a mini van for the guy who doesnt want to admit that he drives a mini van
I realize I'm coming into this discussion a little late, but I have to agree here. Those pics at the beginning really close the deal. How on earth is Honda promoting the Fit as a sporty little economy car??? I think the public's reaction to it may be the same as to the Scion xB:

"Oh, look! That's a cool commercial! It must be a cool car! Sure it is! Look how cool it is on TV!"

Then once the ads have stopped airing, and the pretty people and the techno beats have faded into memory, they'll be left with one helluva ugly car.

I hate marketing. It's all so hollow, always trying to sell an image....

~YR

EDIT: Sorry Thirty-Nine, didn't mean to be dissin' yer ride...
Old 05-17-2006, 03:45 PM   #42
Thirty-Nine

Hey, I understand it's not for everyone. I love my xB, but to each their own.

As far as marketing goes, you've got to remember (and I say this a bit tounge-in-cheek) that the average consumer is pretty stupid and marketing plays a big factor. Cars are emotional purchases. Few people actually look at cars as simply a means to get from point A to point B. Cars have become extensions of who we are; or at least many believe so.

For examples, look at the way most SUVs are marketed. Most show the "trucks" off road, going to some remote location so the family can go swimming or something. These ads make people believe they can go anywhere at any time to do the most basic activities. When was the last time you needed a four-wheel drive vehicle to go ride your mountain bike?

Another example is Volkswagen. Now don't get me wrong, I think there are some über cool VWs. However, at least in the U.S., the quality hasn't been super great. However, they have great advertising campaigns, and make people think they're cool cars. And although they may be "cool," it doesn't make them a good car.

People that don't like the Scion brand often say how the cars are junk, but the marketing sells them. The same can be said for just about any car out there.

But the fact of the matter is, a lot of people — espeically people that aren't well-versed in cars — are heavily influenced by marketing.

One thing though: looks will always be a subjective matter. I happen to love the looks of the xB, xA, Yaris and Fit. Although, I know people who wouldn't be caught dead in them just because of looks alone (perhaps some people on this forum).

Then again, I'm sure you could find people who believe VWs are the best-made cars on the planet, regardless of what J.D. Power, Consumer Reports or anyone else would say.

My only advice: Drive what you love, love what you drive. And for God's sake: let other's love what drive and drive what they love without bashing it.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:51 PM   #43
ricko

Drives: Copper-Orange Yaris RS
Jeez "39", you into Zen or something????? That was almost profound! Hey, no joke intended ..... that was well said.
ricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:32 PM   #44
Thirty-Nine

Nope, not into Zen, but thanks for the compliment. I did some research studies in college on automotive marketing, though. :)
Old 05-17-2006, 09:37 PM   #45
benfal2001
Banned

Drives: Red Milano FIT LX
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_hrs
Some good comparison photos, it really makes a difference seeing them side by side...

Sorry but I don't like to drive while my feet are in the radiator... Yaris no thanks.
benfal2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:42 PM   #46
benfal2001
Banned

Quote:
Yaris liftback looks more like a female car than male. Cutie cutie but no room and praticaly no performance to deliver... sorry that's it.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:44 PM   #47
benfal2001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by why?
No, you can leave now, no one wants you here.

The Yaris is the ONLY CAR IN HISTORY to win both COY awards for EUROPE and JAPAN in the same year.

Now go take your pitiful temper tantrum and leave. Go justify your horrid purchase somewhere else, we are sick of you trying to justify your mistake to us.
You now have an idea of kind of unclassy people driving yaris.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:57 PM   #48
benfal2001
Banned

Quote:
Yess a mini van for the price of a small car for those who need cargo room! and a peppy engine!

You understand everything!
Old 05-17-2006, 10:09 PM   #49
benfal2001
Banned

And can't understand those silly idiots who designed the centered dashboard... Trying to start a trend ? Why show your passenger at what speed you drive ?
Completely stupid idea.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:55 PM   #50
AestheticalFilm

Drives: Ford Taurus...ew yeah i know
Quote:
Originally Posted by benfal2001
Yess a mini van for the price of a small car for those who need cargo room! and a peppy engine!

You understand everything!
hang on a second, i never said that it looking like a mini van was a bad thing, under the circumstances you stated the fit could be a heck of a deal.

just not for me.
AestheticalFilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 11:08 PM   #51
Thirty-Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by benfal2001
And can't understand those silly idiots who designed the centered dashboard... Trying to start a trend ? Why show your passenger at what speed you drive ?
Completely stupid idea.
Dude, you have five posts in a row. Can't you just put all of your assinie thoughts in one post? You've obviously come here just to be a jerk, and I think you should probably leave if you have nothing credible, informational or intelligent to say.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:25 PM   #52
Dylanby

Drives: RS 5-DR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine
Nope, not into Zen, but thanks for the compliment. I did some research studies in college on automotive marketing, though. :)
For a second I thought you were going to say you'd stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.
Dylanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 11:26 PM   #53
ricko

Drives: Copper-Orange Yaris RS
No worries "39", he's obviously some loser "Canadiens" fan, lost because he has no Leafs or Sens websites to pollute. It never pays to attempt to reason with an idiot. When he is finished here, he'll probably flit over to the Nikonians website and badmouth the D200.
ricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:59 AM   #54
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Go mods!!!

Bring out that banning stick.