Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-16-2021, 02:15 PM   #1
billfires

Drives: 2010 3dr LB
FYI ABS, Trac, Brake lights

I have had intermittent times when the ABS, Traction, and Brake lights have come on with no apparent problem presenting. It would shut them off while driving or on the next start up. Also, the Battery light came on a half dozen times.
Checked that battery clamps were tight and clean, cleaned and lubricated the alternator connections, checked voltage on battery, both running and when off. I assumed the ABS, Traction, and Brake lights were a dirty ABS wheel sensor because everything was fine as far as the brakes went.
Went to start the car one afternoon and it was dead. Battery voltage was fine. The battery clamp bolts were tight but the clamp was loose on the top post. I didn't have a replacement clamp so I wrapped some thin wire around the post and retightened.
Ordered replacement Toyota clamps, went to install, and the positive clamp would not tighten around the post. It appears the post is worn down and the battery will have to be replaced.
I have not had any warning lights come on since the clamp was able to be tightened. Bill C
billfires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:25 AM   #2
IndestructibleYaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Very interesting. I'm currently having a similar issue, but nearly all my warning lights came on so I'm suspecting a major charging system failure, like a fuse or alternator. This is not the first time I've heard of the warning lights illuminating for a bad battery (or post connections). Someone said their airbag light came on. Mine is all the above and p/s
IndestructibleYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 11:41 AM   #3
thetut

Drives: 2007 4dr sedan
You can get battery post shims that are lead caps that increase the diameter of the posts so that the clamps can be snugged up.

This will save the expense of the battery if it is still in working order.
thetut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 03:07 PM   #4
IndestructibleYaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
+1 I love battery post shims. It seems like every car needs them nowadays, much better than just replacing the terminals if they're not corroded. I get them for 3$ for a pack of 2 at advance auto. I heard the problem occurs because of over tightening, and this stretches the terminals too large. This makes sense, but if it were true you should also be able to fix it with large washers that sandwich more of the terminal. Haven't tried that yet
IndestructibleYaris is offline   Reply With Quote