Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
md3k

Drives: 2007 Sedan Base
Advice needed on maintenance and cosmetic repairs

Hello all!

First post here. Bought my 2007 Yaris Sedan (Blue) 2 months ago and have been very happy with it. I recently went to my local Toyota dealer for some service and to inquire about parts. Problems and parts listed below:

Problem: Screeching noise on cold startup - Fix: tighten one of the belts. With 50 pt inspection came to a whopping $175. Was I ripped off, maybe time to consider going to different mechanic?

I am also in need of some parts: a right head light, 2 cup holders, and arm rest latch to keep it closed (in the middle of the front seats). There is condensation buildup in the right headlight and it costs $375 for the part + 1hr labour, and the cupholders are $115 (will double check) each! These seem like very simple fixes. Would anyone have better recommendations than to deal with Toyota directly?

When I bought the car the front bumper was cracked and had a hole in it (not too noticeable - Can post pics later). Estimated cost to replace is $1000. I was thinking of going to an autobody shop and hope they can fix it up for cheaper without ordering replacement bumper. Would this be a good choice?

Some smaller issues that I've noticed is a dent in the fuel gasket door and it sticks out a little bit, and in the spacing between my rear bumper on the right side (near the back door) there is a much larger uneven gap than on the left side. I was told that the car has had bodywork done even though on the carfax and inspection no accidents were indicated. Once again, is my best solution just to order the parts from Toyota and pay their labour rate?

I am very new to cars so any help would be appreciated! I just want to fix my yaris up Sorry if I seem like I'm rambling!

Thanks
md3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Partner if you weren't in Canada I'd say check Ebay, but then I just realized there is a Canadian Ebay. Wrecking yards are also a good start.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:15 AM   #3
07typeS

Drives: 2007 White Toyota Yaris Type S
Send a message via AIM to 07typeS
Like Klink said, Check ebay and junkyards.. Do not pay over 400 for a new installed headlight, ive found them on ebay for about 70 a piece.. That definitely seems steep for the cup holders as well, are they the ones below the vents?

As far as the bumper goes.. Is that the only thing wrong? No internal damage to brackets or anything? Im actually in the middle of replacing the front bumper, I got mine for a little over 100 dollars and actually found to have brackets that needed to be replaced.. I was quoted 1500 to repair and paint everything, which i thought was a bit steep.. So far ive spent about 300 to 350 in parts, ill do the install.. and whatever it costs to paint, ill be well below that 1500 quote..
TRD Springs w/ KYB Struts and Shocks, Custom CAI w/ K&N filter and pre filter wrap, Weapon R Header, Stock 15 inch alloys, Dezod Performance pads, Tanabe Front Strut Bar, 35% front door Tint and 20% Rear doors back Tint, De-Badged Ass, Custom painted flat black interior, Pioneer deh-p6700bt w/ IPOD hookup, Infinity components up front with custom mounted tweeter, Inifinity 6x9's out back, 1 12" kicker comp cvr........
07typeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:11 AM   #4
bobolinko
Bob

Drives: Yaris and Scion XD 5 spd BSP
Before you chuck the condensate headlight....

I had a different vehicle, but the same problem and the same cost to repair. I ended up drilling small holes in the headlight case, not on the exterior so that the water could get in, but in an area where the moisture could evaporate. The condensation never appeared to be a problem anymore. I put some tape over the holes after the condensation disappeared. This might save you a few bucks, and if not, you were planning to replace it anyway, right? Drill size was 1/16 inch and I made 2 holes.
bobolinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:01 PM   #5
md3k

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07typeS View Post
Like Klink said, Check ebay and junkyards.. Do not pay over 400 for a new installed headlight, ive found them on ebay for about 70 a piece.. That definitely seems steep for the cup holders as well, are they the ones below the vents?

As far as the bumper goes.. Is that the only thing wrong? No internal damage to brackets or anything? Im actually in the middle of replacing the front bumper, I got mine for a little over 100 dollars and actually found to have brackets that needed to be replaced.. I was quoted 1500 to repair and paint everything, which i thought was a bit steep.. So far ive spent about 300 to 350 in parts, ill do the install.. and whatever it costs to paint, ill be well below that 1500 quote..
I believe its just the exterior on the bumper below the grill. I thought it would maybe be possible to weld another small piece of plastic to cover the hole with a similar color paint job. I am guessing this is what an autobody shop would do?

They are the cupholders that open and close on both the driver and passenger side near the vents. After double checking, Toyota quoted me $128 for each cupholder and 0.7 hrs labour each at $115/hr!!! To repair my dinky cupholders, armrest, and headlight it will cost close to $1000

I will try finding the parts online and I have a friend that could probably help me with fixing it. I could also try what you suggested Bobo.

Probably a simple obvious question: does my manual tell me the exact part #'s? I have not found any cup holders, center console armrest hatch, or headlight parts online yet.

Thanks for the replies
Old 06-24-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
07typeS

You can try the patch job, but with the time and effort it will take to get it looking right.. Buying a replacement bumper cover will end up probably being more cost efficient and definitely a lot easier to do..

lol I dont know what to tell you about the cupholders, that cost is way too high.. My suggestion is try junkyards if you have them available to you.. I am actually in need of the centered armrest and am having trouble findind one for my sedan too..

As far as the condensation problem, before you start drilling holes, check and see if the boot on the back is properly seated on the headlight.. Do a visual check of the silicone sealent between the housing and cover..

The manual that comes with the car, the basic one, does not have part numbers.. May have to do some research online.. headlight model # should be easy to find, others, not so sure..
TRD Springs w/ KYB Struts and Shocks, Custom CAI w/ K&N filter and pre filter wrap, Weapon R Header, Stock 15 inch alloys, Dezod Performance pads, Tanabe Front Strut Bar, 35% front door Tint and 20% Rear doors back Tint, De-Badged Ass, Custom painted flat black interior, Pioneer deh-p6700bt w/ IPOD hookup, Infinity components up front with custom mounted tweeter, Inifinity 6x9's out back, 1 12" kicker comp cvr........
Old 06-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #7
md3k

Thx for the reply 07typeS

I got my car checked out by a buddy of mine who runs an autobody shop. The sealant on the headlight is completely gone so I'll have to get that replaced. I am thinking of going with him for aftermarket bumper cover+headlight to save $$$. I do have 1 of the cupholders, maybe its possible to fix it! I apparently have an aftermarket rear bumper too. The yaris must have been in a crash before I bought it and not reported on the carproof. Otherwise its running very well, no mechanical problems

About $600 to replace bumper cover with an aftermarket one with labour and headlight less than $200 with labour. Not bad I think? Better if you can do it yourself but since I've never done work on a car before it might not be best to try
Old 06-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #8
07typeS

Id like to know what he is doing with the headlight.. 200 is a bit steep.. you can get new ones for cheaper, and sealent isnt that expensive.. Also the whole thing isnt really too labor intensive..

The 600 for the bumper, does that include paint?
Old 06-24-2012, 09:01 PM   #9
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by md3k View Post
I recently went to my local Toyota dealer for some service and to inquire about parts.
Just curious ... I live in Edmonton too. Which Toyota dealer did you go to ?
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:13 PM   #10
md3k

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
Just curious ... I live in Edmonton too. Which Toyota dealer did you go to ?
I went to Gateway Toyota on Calgary Trail. It was OK, but I don't think I'll go back.

@ 07typeS: He told me $80 for the headlight, and I'm not sure how long it takes to put it in so I'm not sure how long it would take to put in.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:05 PM   #11
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
I think places like Canadian Tire are over 100$ for labor. So .. really the Toyota dealer isn't really that far out. I personally think that I would rather go to the dealer cause they know my vehicle and will probably fix it right.

Whereas if you go to some generic garage ... you never know what you will get. The Yaris' are just very reliable .. so hopefully you won't need to go there that often.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #12
07typeS

Well I can pull my headlight out in about 5 minutes.. putting it back in is the same.. If you handed me a headlight i could have it on my car in 15 minutes.. So why he is charging 120 for labor seems a little steep..
Old 08-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #13
Rigojr

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2008
Center Console Lid Pops Up!

HELP!!! my center console lid keeps popping up at any time and for no apparent reason!! itīs REALLY annoying and may even cause an accident since my 2008 Yaris Sedan is standard transmission! How can I fix this? apparently thereīs nothing wrong, the tab that locks is not broken so I guess the console itself moved :( is there a way to disable the spring mechanism that pushes the lid upward? or any other way to fix this? THANKS!
Rigojr is offline   Reply With Quote