Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-18-2020, 05:10 PM   #1
mentalmurph

Drives: 2012 Yaris
ABS light on dashboard

Hi,

My ABS light came on on the dashboard a week or so ago on my 2012 Yaris and I'm just trying to work out where the issue might be.

I tried to scan using my Bluetooth odb2 dongle and my phone with fusion and auto doctor but I can only seem to get ECU codes. After a bit of searching online it does look like most Toyotas seem to have a self test system for ABS accessed by bridging pin 4 and 13 on the OBD2 like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD1V6pv2ej0

and should it should give a code by flashing the abs light that hopefully will give me a bit of a steer to finding the problem.

Just wondering if anyone can confirm if this will work on a 3rd gen Yaris, or is it only the older models?

thanks
mentalmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 05:45 PM   #2
stykerdk
Yaris Hybrid Limited 2015

Drives: yaris Hybrid limited 2015
You need a OBD2 error code reader like this.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carista-Blu...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

The really ones cant read everything.
Old 12-19-2020, 04:14 AM   #3
stidnam

Drives: Starlet
The ABS unit has its own memory and is likely a system that your Bluetooth dongle doesn't have access to or can't read.

The best way to get to the bottom of the problem would be with techstream.

Bridging pin 4 and 13 puts the car into a diagnostic mode. It works on The Yaris as well. It's these two pins you need to bridge actually to register a new ECU. I wouldn't be surprised if the same procedure to clear the abs codes works on the Yaris. Give it a go. No real harm if you bridge the right pins.

Keep in mind that warning lights don't just come on for no reason. Could be an ABS sensor, the actual unit itself...who knows.
stidnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 05:07 PM   #4
mentalmurph

Thanks, just thought I would check with someone else to make sure I wasn't doing anything daft. Why do these things always happen just before MOT is due!?!

I just tried bridging pin 4 and 13 there and it flashes code 34 which corresponds to the left rear speed sensor. I also cleared the codes and went on a short drive and the light came back on again, with the same flash code. It'll probably be the weekend before I've time during the day to have a look at it though but I'm planning to do this:
  • Disconnect plug, check the resistance, make sure the connector is clean and put a bit of dielectric grease on the plug.
  • If that doesn't sort it remove the sensor from the hub and clean with dry rag
  • If still faulty order a new one and replace the sensor
  • If still not working pony up and get the garage to fix the bugger
Does that sound about right?

I'll probably treat myself to a new ODB2 dongle as well, the one I've got is only a cheapie that I've had for about 10 years I think and something that can read ABS codes might make my life a bit easier!
Old 12-20-2020, 08:17 PM   #5
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by mentalmurph View Post
  • Disconnect plug, check the resistance, make sure the connector is clean and put a bit of dielectric grease on the plug.
  • If that doesn't sort it remove the sensor from the hub and clean with dry rag
  • If still faulty order a new one and replace the sensor
  • If still not working pony up and get the garage to fix the bugger
Does that sound about right?
Yep. Take some comfort in the fact that cleaning and greasing the connector has had a fair amount of success. Even if temporarily, it should get you past inspection date.
Good luck.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:27 AM   #6
mentalmurph

Thought it was worth updating just in case someone comes across this again.

Replaced the rear ABS sensor (the full hub cos it was easier) and all was good.
Old 10-31-2021, 03:59 AM   #7
Reklaw-79

Drives: Yaris TR
Quote:
Originally Posted by mentalmurph View Post
Thought it was worth updating just in case someone comes across this again.

Replaced the rear ABS sensor (the full hub cos it was easier) and all was good.
Recently bought a Yaris 2007 as a second car and the abs light has come with code c1333 left rear speed sensor, did you replace the hub yourself ? Also did you replace the harness?

Thanks
Reklaw-79 is offline   Reply With Quote