Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-18-2008, 11:34 PM   #1
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
Yaris Oil Change DIY

Even though this is a pretty easy exercise, I guess I must still put a disclaimer:

YarisWorld and RningOnFumes are not responsible for any damages acquired while in the process of performing the following directions during or after the Oil change. Please be prepared and follow the directions. Again the author of this DIY and YarisWorld are not responsible for any actions you take which may cause damage to your car.
1.Prepare
2.Read
3.Follow

If you can't handle an oil change...get to know your mechanic well.
Quote:
**If this is the car's very first change, it is suggested you take it to the dealor or whomever, Toyota tends to almost literally weld their oil filters on. Because they are over tightened from the factory, you may have problems taking it off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
word of advice - you might want to try to loosen the filter FIRST before you drain the oil pan. just make sure you can get the filter turning(don't unscrew all the way or you'll have a mess) before draining all the oil out of the car in case you have to take it to the quick-lube place to have them take the filter off for you. don't ask how i know this
**Great advice !
A. If at this point, you are still adamant about doing the oil and oil filter change your self..... You may wish to skip to the Oil Filter section (2) if you have a very new vehicle--(first oil filter change since the factory). This will allow you to see if you can get the oil filter off on your own. If you can not for any reason, you still have the option of then going to the dealer or an outside shop because you still have oil for which to run the engine on.**

LAST WARNING (about the filter)....AND HERE WE GO! GOODLUCK!!
1. Buy supplies.
1. Oil: The cap says 5W30, there is a TSB that states you can use 5W20. I went with 5W20 to stay under warranty. You can go lower or higher. When to go any lower or higher, it will depend on your climate and driving pattern. Remember though, stay within Toyota recommendations for warranty purposes.
2. Oil Filter: Size Mobil M1-103 OR Toyota 90915-YZZF2 DENSO (made in Thailand) OR if you can find it: Nippon Denso 90915-10003 or 4 (Made in Japan) -which is a much better quality than the Denso. Or find the brand you like in the appropriate size. As for other brands, you can try non premium ones because they cost as much as 5-10 dollars less, just stick with the brand names and you should be fine. AND ....NO FRAM!!!! I REPEAT, NO FRAM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy_in_NH;269751 Of YarisWorld
I would never-EVER use the toyta Thailand filter again its very low quality compared to Toyota Japon, Nippon Denso 90915-10003 or 4. NO FRAM!

3. Filter Cap socket attachment
4. Socket Wrench
5. Size 14mm Socket
6. Oil Catch Can
Once this first oil change has been done, for all the rest, you should only require new oil and a new oil filter (granted you kept everything).

2. Getting to know where everything is:

Underside pic from RShatchback of Yarisworld.
_____________________________________________ ______ _____ ____

Now for the actual changing.....

NOTE: It is advisable that you warm up the engine to operating temps to mix up any deposits into the oil so it drains with the oil. Also important to note that if you feel the oil pan is too hot...wait a bit or use gloves. A quick drive to the store and back should be enough time for things to warm up properly.

1. Drain Oil using 14 mm Socket to remove oil plug. Use the wrench first to loosen the plug, then place Oil catch can under and proceed to twist the the plug loose with your fingers. (REMEMBER THE OIL MIGHT STILL BE TOO HOT, USE CAUTION)

A) Open the Oil Cap at the top of the engine to let air in if you wish for the oil to drain a bit faster.
B) Wait until the oil comes out to a few trickles.
C) Wipe down the oil pan. Clean up the drain plug.
D) Put the cleaned plug back into the pan. Be careful not to force it or you will strip the bolt and/or the hole. Tighten to firm with the socket wrench.

2. Oil filter. (REMEMBER OIL MAY STILL BE TOO HOT TO HANDLE THE FILTER, USE CAUTION)
A) Attach the oil filter cap to the socket wrench or use an appropriate oil filter wrench. I like the cap because of the ability to use the tool in small spaces.
B) Drag the oil catch can under the oil filter
C) Loosen the filter from the top of the engine (more room to work with). Remember because the filter is upside down (and you are looking down to it), you twist right to loosen.

Note: Twists reversed because you are viewing it from the top and the filter itself is mounted upside down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy_in_NH View Post
Not bad - but wrong on one point: Its Left-Lucy, Righty-Tighty on the filter. Actually there is no left or right. Its anti-clockwise to loosen (unless its a flammable gas fitting). Also I would never-EVER use the toyta Thailand filter again its very low quality compared to Toyota Japon, Nippon Denso 90915-10003 or 4. NO FRAM!

D)Use hand to twist the filter off. The Oil Filter will still have residual oil in it, turn it over and place it onto the catch can to continue draining. Wipe the opening of the Oil Filter nozzle.
E)Prepare the new oil filter by holding it upside down. Fill in from half to full of new oil. Spread some of the new oil on and around the oil filter gasket.

F) Take out the old filter and catch can from underneath the car. Put in the new, prepared one. Twist to the left to hand tightness. **yes, hand tight** If you want torque specs. scroll down to Discussion C.

3. Filling:
A) Open Oil Cap (if you haven't done it yet). Place Funnel in hole.

B) Fill to about 3 quarts and stop. If you're using the big 5qt Jug from wally world, put in a little under 3/4 of the jug.
C) Replace the oil cap. Wipe your hands and go start the engine and let her sit.
D) While the engine is running: Take a rag and start wiping things down. What you're doing is looking for leaks from the oil plug and from the oil filter. Of course don't stick your fingers where they don't belong while the engine is on.
E) After about 2-3 minutes, shut down the engine and pull the dip stick. Wipe it off and put it back in. Now pull it and look at where the oil is. because you only put in about 3 qts. The oil most likely will only be at the very tip of the dip stick. Put the Dipstick back in and fill up about half a qt. Run the engine again.
F) After another 2-3 minutes, stop the engine and check the dipstick. Oil should be around the bottom to middle (between the two dots).

G)....continue this until it gets to the middle...if the oil is in the middle...YOU'RE DONE!
H) Clean up, save oil and oil filter receipts for your records. Go have a beer or something.

4. Afterwards/Discussion
A) Check air filter to see if it needs replacing. Check wiper fluid levels. Check tranny dipstick (if you have one).
B) After the first day, then the week, then two weeks, check the ground under the car after you've pulled out to see if there are leaks. This just means tightening things up.
C) The Oil plug under the car should have been just firm with the wrench, the oil filter could have been just hand tight. If you are anal retentive, you may use the wrench to twist to firm. But the hand tightness is to help you for the next change, when that time comes, even if you did it to hand tightness, you will still find yourself needing a wrench.
As for Torque specs:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aca72 View Post

Oil plug (with new gasket)...
38 N*m (382 kgf*cm, 28 ft.*lbf)

Oil filter...
13 N*m (133 kgf*cm, 9.5 ft.*lbf)
If the available workspace is insufficient to use
a torque wrench, tighten the oil filter a 3/4 turn
by hand or use a common wrench.

http://www.etimago.com/yaris/repairmanual/

D) About oils. You can stay Dino (non-synthetic) if you wish, this won't hurt the engine in the least bit as long as you do it within the service intervals. Those of you who want to do synthetic may see a slight increase in performance and mileage (more mileage than performance). As far as brands...stick with the name brands and you will be fine. If you want some homework go to these two places for education:

1. General knowledge on Oils: http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html
2. Great discussions on Oils: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums

E) Service Intervals... If you don't want to get into the debate, stick with the 5000miles Toyota recommends...plus it doesn't void the warranty. Now if you are past the warranty (usually 36,000miles or 3 years), You could up the interval to near 10k miles if you want on certain synthetics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddR View Post
Make sure your oil meets or exceeds the minimum specs required by Toyota.
Keep all receipts for future records! Write in a log the mileage, type of oil (ie 5w-20), and Filter type/brand.
F) From here on, you should be able to get away with buying the oil and the filter because you will already have everything else. Matter of fact, take the opportunity to take a trip to the store for that period you're supposed to warm up the car, this way, you won't be wasting gas staying in one place waiting for the engine to warm up.
G) You can find 5 Qt Jugs of oil or you can find oil in the usual 1 Qt bottles.
F. PLEASE DISPOSE OF YOUR USED OIL CORRECTLY. MOST AUTO PARTS STORES ARE HAPPY TO TAKE YOUR USED OIL. EVEN YOUR LOCAL MECHANIC WILL AS WELL, TAKE THE OIL FROM YOU.

Last edited by rningonfumes; 09-05-2009 at 07:34 PM.
rningonfumes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 12:23 AM   #2
bdc87
HISTORY REPEATED 11/04/08

Drives: 07' MM Vitz LB
Send a message via AIM to bdc87
Thanks for reposting! By the way Mobil 1 is not what its hyped up to be. I use Royal Purple and a K&N Filter.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:33 AM   #3
Yaris_Style

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoyotaTaris View Post
To the people who want to restore some important topics.

If you remember the thread titles, Google them, and use Google Cache to repost them in the forum.

You will have to do this quickly before Google updates its Cache (next few days).

Here, a head start.
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...G=Search&meta=
START!
Yaris_Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:01 AM   #4
dvlnblkdrs
Shush!

Drives: 2007 toyota yaris
Send a message via AIM to dvlnblkdrs Send a message via Yahoo to dvlnblkdrs
good indeed.. i was thinking of attempting this since i want to kinda avoid dealership for maintenance now that i will have wheels on in a few weeks with tuner lugs on it.. dont want nobody hurtin my baby.. i may have to have some assistance the first time or so, then i think ill run wild with it alone.. but only cuz this wonderful detailed diy.. love it

i took 2 yrs of auto shop and never touched a car, so i have no clue about nething.. lol

dvlnblkdrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 05:05 AM   #5
rningonfumes

*I've finally moved everything, please consider this post for a sticky.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:09 AM   #6
yarisitis

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
I didn't know you needed to fill the new oil filter with oil before you put it on. So you fill it between half way and full? What's the purpose of putting oil in it?

I never did this with my old car, but will start doing it with my Yaris since my first oil change is coming up soon.
yarisitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:49 AM   #7
posaunemeister

Drives: 2008 Yaris S LB - MM
I think it's because all of the oil eventually flows through the filter and then the engine re-uptakes the oil from the filter. And perhaps when the ignition is started, the engine re-uptakes the oil directly from the oil filter. So if the ignition takes place and there is no oil in the filter (after an oil change), it's sort of like dry-heaving (puking without any food in your system). That's just my guess. Sorry.
posaunemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:02 AM   #8
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Thanks, rningonfumes. Nice write up. It should be a sticky.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:22 AM   #9
rningonfumes

Yarisitis, I think Posaunemeister has it down.

This is what I got from Carbibles.com (one of the links I posted):

Quote:
One reader suggested and additional step before (9) above. When he changes his filter, he fills the new one up with clean oil and waits for it to soak into the filter itself. Once he's satisfied that the filter is soaked, he pours the excess oil out of the filter and then screws it on to the engine.
Along with Posaunemister's interpretation, I would add that you're giving the filter a head start in both filtration and sending oil to the engine. I realize that the engine should still have a thin coat lining it's walls but this allows the engine to get that fresh oil that much sooner, so basically it's a precaution. Folks with better knowledge will probably chime in their opinions as well.

As for me, I've just done it out of habit and I put it into the directions. Another thing out of habit is that I don't really care for the crush washer as shown here from a pic found at Carbibles.com:
Courtesy of www.carbibles.com
You will find people will also have their opinion about the crush washer.

Yarisitis, I recommend you be well prepared to put extra "elbow grease" when taking off your stock oil filter because you say it's the first time for your car. You should definitely use the cap I wrote about above, otherwise you might find yourself having to use a screwdriver punchered into the side of the filter.
Good luck, it should be smooth as long as you're prepared. LOL..the KEY IS LEVERAGE. MOAR LEVARAGE!! haha.

Edit: Thanks Yaris-me!
Old 09-05-2009, 11:34 AM   #10
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

My original oil filter came off with no drama. Just took a little more of a grunt than usual to get it started.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:51 PM   #11
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
great write-up! word of advice - you might want to try to loosen the filter FIRST before you drain the oil pan. just make sure you can get the filter turning(don't unscrew all the way or you'll have a mess) before draining all the oil out of the car in case you have to take it to the quick-lube place to have them take the filter off for you. don't ask how i know this
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 07:35 PM   #12
rningonfumes

Toad, great advice! I hope the change is to your liking. I hadn't thought about telling people just to try the oil filter before draining the oil on the car's first change.... so use to the habit of oil first, always.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:42 PM   #13
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
The best solution would be if you change you own oil regulaly is to just get a filter wrench. A simple band wrench only cost a few $.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:08 PM   #14
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

Oh yeah, you really need one. Even when you properly lubricate the gasket and install the filter finger-tight, you commonly need the wrench to break it loose 5,000 miles later.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:07 AM   #15
PhilD424

Drives: Red Yaris
Damn 5W20? Thats wayyy to thin. Even so with 5W30. I personally wouldn't use anything less then 10W30, atleast for the kind of driving we do in NYC. That thin oil is only needed for extremely cold climates. Also you might want to let people know they don't have to use a socket wrench for the drain plug, its really not needed just use a 14mm wrench.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:22 AM   #16
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Nice write up! This needs to be a sticky.

Just FYI prefilling filters (or not) is one of those eternal polarizing arguements-I'm not even going to go there just be clean about it!
Anything in the center tube is heading for the bearings unfiltered so don't let any crud in there.

65mm 14 flute cap style filter wrench on a 3/8 ratchet works great for the Yaris.

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 12:43 PM   #17
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

I've never prefilled filters. Never saw anybody else do it, either, only certain somewhat OC people who've written online instructions. It just takes a few seconds for the oil pump to fill it and the gauge pressure comes right up. The residual lubrication in the engine that was just shut down carries it through that.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:45 PM   #18
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Yes. Most service depts and local garages do not prefill a filter.
While it is a good thing to do no harm will come to an engine if you don't.

As Yaris Hilton said, it only takes a couple of seconds for it to fill and oil pressur to build up.

Just don't redline it the second you start it and it will be fine.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote