Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-24-2017, 08:49 AM   #1
miiser

Drives: yaris 2009
Yaris 2009 5door front speakers replacement.

Hi all.
I was tired about the low quality of sound from the front speakers on my car. It had too much bass. So I recently ordered a pair of JVC cs-620x with the adapters to fit them in the door.
The thing is that these speakers have 300w each. But I don't have any amplifier or an aftermarket head unit. They are all stock.
Will I have problems? What should I expect?
I read yesterday some guys telling that the stock speakers on a car is much better than the aftermarket ones if you don't spent much money to put an amplifier and things like that.

Will I make my car sound terrible?
:(
(Sorry for my poor English)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
miiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:20 AM   #2
miiser

Did anyone tried to change the speakers by himself?
Is it easy?
I need some help guys.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:30 AM   #3
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
This will help you get started

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2305
Old 01-24-2017, 09:53 AM   #4
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
You will either have to by adapters or machine your own. I used cheap UHMW cutting boards from Walmart to make mine. There's a thread around here somewhere...
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:19 AM   #5
miiser

Yaris 2009 5door front speakers replacement.

Thank you for the reply.
Ok I did some research and I found how to remove the door panels.

Now I worry if the sound quality is worse than the stock ones. Is there any chance to be worse?

Also, my back doors have no speakers (and I am sure that there is no way to find ready wires on the door). But yesterday I read somewhere that in the panel under front seat belts there are wires ready to plug extensions into the door. Is that true??

Old 01-24-2017, 11:32 AM   #6
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
It's been discussed on the forum before, but to reiterate, you're better off spending the money on a decent aftermarket head unit and keeping the stock speakers, rather than buying aftermarket speakers that you're powering with the stock head unit.

The RMS power, which is what really counts, is terribly low on the stock head unit. Your aftermarket speakers will be woefully under powered by the stock head unit and the distortion at higher volume will wear and tear on them. With an aftermarket head unit (cleaner signal and more RMS power) you'd be surprised how much better your stock speakers will sound. I'm currently running an aftermarket head unit with stock speakers until I find the door speakers, sub and amp I want. The difference in sound I got from the stock speakers after installing the aftermarket head unit was significant.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:30 PM   #7
miiser

So, I made a terrible mistake ordering these?
All I want is just a tic of better sound. The only thing I am afraid of is to make things even worse. Is that the case here? Really I don't mind if the quality stays the same. I do mind if it gets worse.

Also what's your aftermarket head unit?
How much u spent on it?
And if I put an amplifier on the stock headunit will it affect the rms power? Can I make more rms power with an amplifier? (Because the cost of an aftermarket headunit is much much higher that the amplifier install)

Old 01-24-2017, 12:32 PM   #8
miiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
It's been discussed on the forum before, but to reiterate, you're better off spending the money on a decent aftermarket head unit and keeping the stock speakers, rather than buying aftermarket speakers that you're powering with the stock head unit.

The RMS power, which is what really counts, is terribly low on the stock head unit. Your aftermarket speakers will be woefully under powered by the stock head unit and the distortion at higher volume will wear and tear on them. With an aftermarket head unit (cleaner signal and more RMS power) you'd be surprised how much better your stock speakers will sound. I'm currently running an aftermarket head unit with stock speakers until I find the door speakers, sub and amp I want. The difference in sound I got from the stock speakers after installing the aftermarket head unit was significant.

So, I made a terrible mistake ordering these?
All I want is just a tic of better sound. The only thing I am afraid of is to make things even worse. Is that the case here? Really I don't mind if the quality stays the same. I do mind if it gets worse.

Also what's your aftermarket head unit?
How much u spent on it?
And if I put an amplifier on the stock headunit will it affect the rms power? Can I make more rms power with an amplifier? (Because the cost of an aftermarket headunit is much much higher that the amplifier install)

Old 01-24-2017, 01:38 PM   #9
ern-diz

I wouldn't go so far as say you made a terrible mistake. I would just say that for a tic better sound, in addition to other features you don't have with the stock head unit, it would have been better to start with the head unit and then move to the speakers.

I went with a Pioneer, double-din touchscreen. It's the AVH-280BT model and sells for a couple hundred bucks, but there are many single-din options that would provide nice signal and power at a lower cost.

Yes, you can add an amp to increase the power going to your new speakers however, the head unit is the starting point of signal processing, so you're still not going to get as much out of those speakers as you would with a cleaner signal from a good aftermarket head unit to the amp and then to the speakers.

If I were you, since you've already purchased the speakers, I'd install them and then work toward getting a decent head unit next. You will notice a significant bump in sound quality, in addition to gaining a host of other cool features like Bluetooth connectivity, etc.

Search and lurk the In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) section. A lot of good info to be had there (and is where this post should have been created to get the most relevant help).

On Wheelwell

Last edited by ern-diz; 01-24-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:46 PM   #10
miiser

Quote:
I wouldn't go so far as say you made a terrible mistake. I would just say that for a tic better sound, in addition to other features you don't have with the stock head unit, it would have been better to start with the head unit and then move to the speakers.

I went with a Pioneer, double-din touchscreen. It's the AVH-280BT model and sells for a couple hundred bucks, but there are many single-din options that would provide nice signal and power at a lower cost.

Yes, you can add an amp to increase the power going to your new speakers however, the head unit is the starting point of signal processing, so you're still not going to get as much out of those speakers as you would with a cleaner signal from a good aftermarket head unit to the amp and then to the speakers.

If I were you, since you've already purchased the speakers, I'd install them and then work toward getting a decent head unit next. You will notice a significant bump in sound quality, in addition to gaining a host of other cool features like Bluetooth connectivity, etc.

Thank you for the reply first of all.
That's what I am going to do. I will install them and then I will start saving money for the headunit. I did some research in the past hour and I found some descent ones like the kenwood in the photo for less money.

But still I will need a new dash frame. So in the best situation I need about 200euros.
Plus the fact that I have steering wheel buttons. What about them? Do I need an adapter for them too?

That's why I said about the amplifier. It seems to me that it is a much cleaner and easier and cheaper job to do.
I can manage to put an amplifier for around 80 euros. And I really like to keep it stock-looking. But, what you said to me about the headunit, yeah it's better to change this first.

But at this moment I can afford an amplifier. Not a headunit. That's why i am thinking for it.

Old 01-24-2017, 01:58 PM   #11
tarkus

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3-Door
I agree. And you will be amazed at the improvement in sound over the original speakers. I've been in the electronics/audio engineering business for many years, and the stock Yaris speakers, are the worst shite I've ever seen anywhere!

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:59 PM   #12
miiser

Quote:

Ok that's what I am going to do.
I will plug my new speakers and I will save some money for the headunit.
I did some research and I fount a descent one value-of-money:

But even with this one I need at least 200euros to spent(cause then I will need a new frame to fit it, plus the wires etc) and also I have steering wheel buttons. So what about these? How they are going to work? Do I need an adapter for these too?

So thinking these things, if I can have right sound with a small amplifier, it will be a dream for me. Cause amplifier is cheaper to buy and give it to an expert to fit it, cleaner-stock job and I won't have to worry about the steering wheel buttons.
With the new headunit I have much more possibilities. I know. But it's way more expensive. And what really matters for me right now is to have a descent sound. So if the amplifier can make the same job (or close to) I will go for it. I can afford it right now.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:10 PM   #13
miiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarkus View Post
I agree. And you will be amazed at the improvement in sound over the original speakers. I've been in the electronics/audio engineering business for many years, and the stock Yaris speakers, are the worst shite I've ever seen anywhere!

So just to clarify, you say that with the new speakers and the stock headunit, I will have a huge difference? Or only if I change the headunit too?
Also, as you are an expert, do you think the amplifier will make the things even better? I would love to go for an aftermarket headunit but no money no honey. Haha. So amp is the way to go for me. Will I have the same result? Will it upgrade my rms?

Old 01-24-2017, 02:14 PM   #14
miiser

Quote:

Search and lurk the In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) section. A lot of good info to be had there (and is where this post should have been created to get the most relevant help).

Yes I did some research and I found some descent headunits like kenwood for about 120euros. But I will need frame too so I am going to spent like 200euros total. And I can't afford that these days.
But I can afford and amp if I can have a descent result without changing the headunit

Old 01-24-2017, 03:13 PM   #15
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by miiser View Post
Yes I did some research and I found some descent headunits like kenwood for about 120euros. But I will need frame too so I am going to spent like 200euros total. And I can't afford that these days.
But I can afford and amp if I can have a descent result without changing the headunit
Reading between the lines, what I'm hearing is that you can't really afford an amp either, because I'm not sure a sub $200 euro amp is going to be worth the investment. What amps are you looking at?

If you decide to go that route, try to find one with as high of an RMS power rating as possible. Peak power is not nearly as important.

On Wheelwell
Old 01-24-2017, 03:52 PM   #16
tarkus

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3-Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by miiser View Post
So just to clarify, you say that with the new speakers and the stock headunit, I will have a huge difference? Or only if I change the headunit too?
Also, as you are an expert, do you think the amplifier will make the things even better? I would love to go for an aftermarket headunit but no money no honey. Haha. So amp is the way to go for me. Will I have the same result? Will it upgrade my rms?

Yes, the speakers on their own will make a *big* difference. You will *love* the sound! In my opinion upgrading the head unit first would have been a mistake, due to how bad the original speakers are.

It's not a hard job to do. The door panels are easy to take off and put back, especially if you have electric windows. I drilled out the rivets holding the old speakers. I got the mounting rings for the new speakers from eBay and also the connector adapters. If I wasnt so lazy, I would have spliced spade connectors onto the Toyota writes instead :-) Isecured the mounting rings with #14 self-tapping screws, and also sealed the rings to the door with silicone.

Then save up some more money and get a better head unit. You will love the sound even more.

tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 05:06 PM   #17
miiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarkus View Post
Yes, the speakers on their own will make a *big* difference. You will *love* the sound! In my opinion upgrading the head unit first would have been a mistake, due to how bad the original speakers are.

It's not a hard job to do. The door panels are easy to take off and put back, especially if you have electric windows. I drilled out the rivets holding the old speakers. I got the mounting rings for the new speakers from eBay and also the connector adapters. If I wasnt so lazy, I would have spliced spade connectors onto the Toyota writes instead :-) Isecured the mounting rings with #14 self-tapping screws, and also sealed the rings to the door with silicone.

Then save up some more money and get a better head unit. You will love the sound even more.

You really made my day right now. I was starting worrying that I made a mess.
Thank you!!
I bought fit-adapters with the speakers together. But not adapters for wires. Do I need? I thought I can cut the current wires I have to fit them (maybe your speakers need adapters not mine).
Also I bought together and a soundproof sticky rubber thing, to put it between fitting-adapter and the door so I dont have any gzzzzz noices.

So sound I plan to put an amp too?

Old 01-24-2017, 05:12 PM   #18
miiser

Quote:
Reading between the lines, what I'm hearing is that you can't really afford an amp either, because I'm not sure a sub $200 euro amp is going to be worth the investment. What amps are you looking at?

If you decide to go that route, try to find one with as high of an RMS power rating as possible. Peak power is not nearly as important.

So I found these amps:
Boss audio riot r1004 400watt 2channel (with 100rms for each channel) ~~60euros

Boss audio riot r1002 200watt 2 channel
(With 50rms for each channel). ~~70euros

The speakers I bought have 30rms so both of them are ok for me.

And I found good reviews for both of them.
Ok they are not perfect or the best. I know. But they seem descent to me