Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-12-2009, 10:40 PM   #19
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Yeah, so the fact that I've put 11.6 gallons of gas into my Yaris means I was somehow driving on air for over 15 miles?

The capacity of the tank is not the total fuel capacity, I have on numerous occasions run a tank down so far that I've put more gas in it than the manufacturer claims it will hold.

And also contrary to popular belief, running low on gas does not affect the fuel filter, gas pump or fuel injectors on a modern car (according to Click & Clack, experts on cars). Running out of gas is something that should be avoided for the obvious reasons; but if it happens on a rare occasion, it won't have an long-term effects.

Cheers! M2
You're right, but the explanation NJBob gave explains this. The reason you have been able to put more than the supposed fuel tank capacity is mainly because of the neck that runs to the tank that isn't counted.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:20 PM   #20
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Which was my point, but The Spectacle claimed it was due to inaccurate gas pumps which is most definitely not the case.

By the way, I no longer fill up as much as I used to, one or two clicks at the most now. I've read that overfilling the tank can damage the charcoal cannister that is part of the venting system, so it was a bad habit I broke myself of...I've heard a replacement costs $400 on some cars!

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:25 PM   #21
The Spectacle

Drives: 08 BSP LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
... . You're the new king of just making stuff up.
What's so funny? Maybe "inaccurate" was a wrong term...perhaps miscalibrated is a better term. This could also be affected by the time of day you're filling up.

I've put "more gas than the manufacturer specified" in every car I've owned, most of the time by a considerable amount. I hardly doubt its because of non counted space from the tank to the fuel inlet.

But you guys go ahead and think what you want.
The Spectacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:40 PM   #22
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spectacle View Post
What's so funny? Maybe "inaccurate" was a wrong term...perhaps miscalibrated is a better term. This could also be affected by the time of day you're filling up.

I've put "more gas than the manufacturer specified" in every car I've owned, most of the time by a considerable amount. I hardly doubt its because of non counted space from the tank to the fuel inlet.

But you guys go ahead and think what you want.
OK, if you are so sure of your position, how about posting up some facts to back it up? Or are you one of those people who make up their minds without letting them get in the way?

The chances of a "miscalibration" as you like to term it are about as remote as the pump being "inaccurate." If you read my above post you will realize that every state has a program that strictly monitors these things and there is no basis to your claim.

But you are correct about the properties of gasoline changing during the day (well, depending on the temperature), but it isn't enough to make that much of a significant difference (10%+).

The truth is that typically the owner's manual provides a reasonable estimate of your vehicle's fuel tank capacity. Some manufacturers estimate that the capacity of a fuel tank may vary by as much as 3% from the actual tank capacity. This results from normal variations in design characteristics, the manufacturing process, and other inherent factors. The rating is determined by taking an average volume based upon the capacities of multiple tanks.

Furthermore, the rated capacity may include only the usable portion of the fuel tank or it may include both the usable and unusable portions. The unusable volume is the portion of the fuel tank's liquid capacity that lies at the bottom of the tank out of reach of the fuel pump. The usable volume is the portion that can be delivered through the filler pipe into the tank when the vehicle is level. The vehicle's fuel tank capacity does not include the volume of the filler pipe or the vapor headspace, which is the portion of the tank compartment at a level above the filler pipe neck.

Sometimes people attempt to deliver additional fuel after the gas pump automatically shuts off, commonly known as "topping off". When this happens, the additional fuel begins to fill the vapor headspace and the filler pipe, which are not considered part of the tank's rated capacity. This may result in a receiving more fuel than the rated capacity in the owner's manual. This may also occur if the lanes that surround the gas pumps are not level and some of the fuel shifts into the vapor headspace, thus delivering more fuel into the tank.

When the fuel tank indicates a certain level, consumers often assume that this indication represents a corresponding fraction of fuel tank capacity. For instance, if you have a fuel tank rated at 18 gallons and the fuel gauge indicates that you have half a tank of gas, you might assume that you have 9 gallons of fuel remaining in the tank. If you then fill-up the tank and receive more than 9 gallons you would assume you now have more than 18-gallons in the tank and would conclude that the gas pump is in error.

Besides the fact that the rated capacity is only an estimate, many variables can affect a vehicle's fuel level indication. A shift in the fuel level may occur when the vehicle is not on level ground such as when on a hill or traveling around a curve. This temporary change in the position of fuel within the tank can cause the fuel gauge to indicate more or less fuel than is actually in the tank. The indication of fuel in the tank can even vary depending upon the position of the driver's eye when reading the gauge on the instrument panel.

Many vehicles today have trip computers and mechanisms for estimating mileage to assist the driver in planning travel based upon the fuel that remains in the tank. The vehicle's mileage for each gallon of fuel depends upon a number of conditions such as maintenance, cargo and passenger load, use of accessories such as air conditioning, driving habits, terrain, traffic, weather, and even fuel composition. When these factors require the engine to work harder, fuel consumption increases. Trip computers may calculate the estimated miles that can be traveled on the remaining fuel based upon the vehicle's fuel economy during a specific driving period. The estimated miles may vary greatly depending upon these external conditions.

And no, I didn't just type all that, nor do I just make shit up, it came from here. Or you can read this article. Or if you want all the info you'll ever need and are lazy to look for it, just click here. Either way, as the cavemen used to say in the old Geico commercial, do a little research next time...

Cheers! M2
Old 04-13-2009, 06:02 AM   #23
NJBob

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback
And to support my claim. In NJ we are not allowed to fill our own tanks. Our attendants will usually stop filling as soon as the auto thingy clicks it off. Then I will only get about 65-70mi on my first bar. When I go to PA for gas I'll try to squeeze more gas in....resulting in my getting 92 miles on my first bar. After reading what MadMax has written I'll prolly stop doing that.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:04 AM   #24
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBob View Post
And to support my claim. In NJ we are not allowed to fill our own tanks.
I'm still amazed and amused by this. New Jersey is the only state that has this law. Don't they realize how stupid it is? In every other state, 95% of gas stations don't even have attendants available unless you're handicapped.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:12 AM   #25
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
I'm still amazed and amused by this. New Jersey is the only state that has this law. Don't they realize how stupid it is? In every other state, 95% of gas stations don't even have attendants available unless you're handicapped.
Never been to Oregon, have you? The same law there was passed in 1951 (New Jersey was first, in 1949. Allegedly there is also one town in MA where you cannot pump your own gas, but who really cares about one town in MA?).

Anyhow, the law in Oregon was supported by a whopping 17 declarations rationalizing the prohibition of “any person other than the owner, operator or employee [of a dispensary where class 1 flammable liquids are dispensed at retail]” from using “pump, hose, pipe or other device for dispensing the liquids into the fuel tank of a motor vehicle or other retail container.” Violating this law will get you slapped with a $500 fine.

Of course, way back then most gas stations were full-service...as the first self-service station only opened in California in 1947.

Both laws have been challenged in court, and Oregon motorcyclists won a small victory in 2001 when a law was passed allowing them option of fueling their own bikes; but for motorists the law still applies.

There is your history lesson--and fun factoids to share with friends--for the day!

Cheers! M2
Old 04-13-2009, 09:48 AM   #26
nerp

Drives: 2009 3dr LB Meteorite Metallic
In RI, gas stations are required to remove the clips on pumps so you have to hold the handle the entire time. No setting, locking the handle in place and taking care of the windows as you pump the gas. Not a big deal but in the dead of winter it can be annoying having to stand in the wind with your hand on a freezing metal handle.
nerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:01 AM   #27
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerp View Post
In RI, gas stations are required to remove the clips on pumps so you have to hold the handle the entire time. No setting, locking the handle in place and taking care of the windows as you pump the gas. Not a big deal but in the dead of winter it can be annoying having to stand in the wind with your hand on a freezing metal handle.
There are a few stations that are like that here, all I do is put the gas cap under the handle to hold it up until it stops.

Probably not the brightest idea, but it works...

Cheers! M2
Old 04-13-2009, 11:07 AM   #28
The Spectacle

Drives: 08 BSP LB
Madmax I'm not going to lie to you...I didn't read half of that novel you posted. But good on ya' for your "research". If you think that all gas pumps are properly calibrated just because some agency goes around randomly checking pumps, you're a little naive. The world doesn't work that buddy, I don't care how "illegal" it is. Lol...you must get gas at some really "trustworthy" stations. I know most gas station people really don't care if their pumps even give receipts back half the time, let alone calibrate something in the pumps. But again, believe what you want
The Spectacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:24 AM   #29
mr9865
$10.25/hr frying chicken

Drives: 2012 Yaris L
Quote:
Madmax I'm not going to lie to you...I didn't read half of that novel you posted. But good on ya' for your "research". If you think that all gas pumps are properly calibrated just because some agency goes around randomly checking pumps, you're a little naive. The world doesn't work that buddy, I don't care how "illegal" it is. Lol...you must get gas at some really "trustworthy" stations. I know most gas station people really don't care if their pumps even give receipts back half the time, let alone calibrate something in the pumps. But again, believe what you want
I know at the gas station I worked at, we were shorting people .001 for regular fuel and the diesel was giving extra .05 after our inspection.
mr9865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:45 PM   #30
hatchbackkid82

Drives: .
WHat
hatchbackkid82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:39 PM   #31
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Did I mention I got my PIN number stolen at a local Mobil pump?

And with thrashing gas prices, to think that a franchised gas station(who is suffering as much as you are when gas prices sky rocket) won't screw you over is freaking ridiculous.

Have you EVER seen someone checking gas pumps in a gov't truck??

I'm with spectacle here guys.. Blind faith in government regulatory committees is ruining the world.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:36 PM   #32
MadMax

Quote:
No sweat, you do the same, but just make sure y'all's tin foil hats aren't too tight!

I am sure you are the same guys who are never going as fast as the police radar says you are!

It's all a big conspiracy. I guess after 28 years in the government, I am just brainwashed. Elvis is still alive, Bigfoot exists and the Loch Ness Monster isn't an myth either. Oh, and email me for pics of the space aliens the US Air Force has hidden away in Area 51!
Old 04-14-2009, 04:10 PM   #33
toyo

Drives: toyota
guys, I have a '04 hatckback 4 dr. 2nz-fe engine. I found on the web it holds 11.8 galons, is it accurate? according to my calculations it should have around 2 galons for reserve, during the las bar blink :S

toyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:44 PM   #34
blktiger60

Drives: `08 HB S
I can, and have, put 11.2 gallons in my HB. Course when I fill up, I top it off right up to the cap. In otherwords, I always fill the filler neck tube and I usually wait till the last bar is blinking before getting gas.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:52 PM   #35
blktiger60

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
No sweat, you do the same, but just make sure y'all's tin foil hats aren't too tight!

I am sure you are the same guys who are never going as fast as the police radar says you are!

It's all a big conspiracy. I guess after 28 years in the government, I am just brainwashed. Elvis is still alive, Bigfoot exists and the Loch Ness Monster isn't an myth either. Oh, and email me for pics of the space aliens the US Air Force has hidden away in Area 51!
Dude, I think what hes trying to say is that the pumps are a machine and are prone to not being perfect. I don't know, nor do I care, the rate at which these machines need re-calibration but im also absolutely positive that they do, in fact, go out of calibration and, will need a minor re-cal. periodically.

It's a fact I've come to realize that there is absolutly nothing perfect on this planet - period.
Not machines, certainly not people - nothing.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:57 PM   #36
blktiger60

Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
Did I mention I got my PIN number stolen at a local Mobil pump?

And with thrashing gas prices, to think that a franchised gas station(who is suffering as much as you are when gas prices sky rocket) won't screw you over is freaking ridiculous.

Have you EVER seen someone checking gas pumps in a gov't truck??

I'm with spectacle here guys.. Blind faith in government regulatory committees is ruining the world.
I guess you didn't hear, . .
There was and, perhaps still is, a virus out in the wild that attacks PoS (Point of Sale) machines. I bet that's what happened to you - that particular pumps networking hardware was infected.