Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-03-2020, 10:16 PM   #1
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
power steering issue

long story short, my car sat for 2months waiting for the transmission to be rebuilt (with an LSD yay)

When I put the car back together, I was not thinking ahead and hooked up the battery with the wheel slightly turned.

So naturally it assisted in odd steering positions.

I yanked the PS fuse, made sure the wheel was dead straight, and plugged it back in. And its better, BUT

coming back to center (from either left or right) it over assists and then goes the opposite direction. Does it regardless of vehicle speed. Its very strange and actually will pull out of my hand sometimes when I forget to use both hands. I have to drive with 2 hands pretty much all the time with a firm grip. ITS NEVER been like this in the 9 years Ive owned the car.

And because of other things, Im back to DDing the car atm so its really bothering me. I almost hit a car yesterday as I was steering around some joggers and then it whipped towards the opposite lane as I was coming back to center.

Before anyone says anything I did verify the alignment was dead on, I actually dialed back the amount of toe out I normally run (now 0 toe) in an attempt to numb it a little, absolutely no difference. I even drove around with the PS disabled and it does not do it at all, its definitely a PS issue, not mechanical in anyway.

what am I missing?

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 12:09 PM   #2
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
Probably need to have it scanned with a dealer level scan tool and relearn the steering system.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 09:15 PM   #3
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
so turns out this LSD is very aggressive with the fluid I put in it, once I reset the PS system and had it assisting at the right time, it was still very weird to drive, but at least not boosting the steering in odd steering input angles.

did a bunch of digging and ultimately came to the conclusion I had to put some LSD additive in the fluid to make the clutches slip a little at light loads. Which now after the fact makes perfect sense. My only prior LSD experience is my tercel with a helical and my malibu has a helical too. They are very smooth and progressive, no chattery nonsense.

so it took a couple tries to get the additive mix about right, its still slightly aggressive, but MUCH better to deal with now. And the LSD works just lovely at the track.

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote