Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > New England
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-08-2011, 10:11 PM   #1
cmkennedy
I've made a post!

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Brakes Squealing!

I bought my brand new 2008 Yaris in August 2008. About six months later, I started to notice this noise my brakes would make when I stopped. It didn't happen all the time, but it was a loud squeal. I took the car right in and they could not find anything, and that day the noise did not happen when they drove it. The noise persisted so I went back three or four times. Finally, the dealership heard the noise and said it was because my brakes needed to be cleaned. $100 later....and the noise was still there. Finally in June 2010, the entire braking system was replaced. Not even a few months later, the noise was back! I've had it back three times since then, including this past week. I was told that I had waited too long to have my brakes cleaned out again (20k miles), and that is what the noise was. They cleaned everything up, and while the noise is really faint, it's still there! It is an equal opportunity noise, as it hits in ever kind of weather, in every driving condition and every time of day.

I've spoken with many other Toyota owners and they all say they have NEVER had to get their brakes cleaned every couple oil changes, and they have never had an issue with the noise.

I admit to be ignorant about cars, but something is not right and I feel like I am being given a song and dance.

Any one else have this problem or any ideas? Anyone?
cmkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
monoxyde
I've made a post!

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkennedy View Post
I bought my brand new 2008 Yaris in August 2008. About six months later, I started to notice this noise my brakes would make when I stopped. It didn't happen all the time, but it was a loud squeal. I took the car right in and they could not find anything, and that day the noise did not happen when they drove it. The noise persisted so I went back three or four times. Finally, the dealership heard the noise and said it was because my brakes needed to be cleaned. $100 later....and the noise was still there. Finally in June 2010, the entire braking system was replaced. Not even a few months later, the noise was back! I've had it back three times since then, including this past week. I was told that I had waited too long to have my brakes cleaned out again (20k miles), and that is what the noise was. They cleaned everything up, and while the noise is really faint, it's still there! It is an equal opportunity noise, as it hits in ever kind of weather, in every driving condition and every time of day.

I've spoken with many other Toyota owners and they all say they have NEVER had to get their brakes cleaned every couple oil changes, and they have never had an issue with the noise.

I admit to be ignorant about cars, but something is not right and I feel like I am being given a song and dance.

Any one else have this problem or any ideas? Anyone?
I bought a 2 door Yaris a month ago. The second day we owned the car the brakes started squealing, especially on the passenger side. I didn't think it would need new brakes since the odometer just rolled over to 17,000 miles. I went to Auto Zone and bought new brakes. I took the wheels off, and the brakes look almost brand new! (I had assumed everything would be original because of the low mileage). I'm still trying to figure out why the squeak.

Also, I noticed my rotors were very smooth and not worn down in any crazy fashion. I do not attribute the squealing to the rotors.

If I find anything out I'll post back. On another note, my girlfriend's sister also has a Yaris, a 2009 four door. It has almost 70,000 miles on it and it does *NOT* squeak!
monoxyde is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2008 yaris, brakes, squealing