Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-08-2021, 07:06 PM   #1
Zelands

Drives: Yaris
P1693 OBD code

Hi everyone, first time posting here.
I bought an older Yaris, however it seems that I may have bought a cat in the bag. On the test drive and after that it seems to mostly drive ok, but it turns out it has disabled/burned out CEL light, and on the scanner the P1693 code is showing up.

Now, after a brief googling, I could not properly verify it, but it seems to point to VVT solenoid, but some mention something with turbo (which 1.0 petrol obviously does not have).

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!

Edit: Forgot to mention: 2001, 1.0 petrol engine
Zelands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 03:05 AM   #2
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
This might be as simple as the bad oil pressure sensor. I would probably start with that. But no guarantee this will solve it - at least you will eliminate one possible source of the problem and it is not expensive.
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 12:47 PM   #3
Neinris

Drives: 08 Yaris 3 Door Hatchback
Sounds like you're on the right track. See if you can locate the VVT-i solenoid and clean it, I believe it also has a filter. Parts/brake cleaner should be safe enough.
Neinris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 04:24 PM   #4
Zelands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neinris View Post
Sounds like you're on the right track. See if you can locate the VVT-i solenoid and clean it, I believe it also has a filter. Parts/brake cleaner should be safe enough.
I checked the solenoid. It is not clogged, it switches immediately when I apply power from the battery.
Resistance seems to be within specification.

I wonder what the voltage coming from ECU should be. With ignition on, it is 6.4V. I have no idea is it as it should be or not.

As to mesh filter - it is there on the parts list, but for the life of me I cant find where it is. Some sources say that it does not have one at all.

I am getting more questions than answers :(
Old 06-17-2021, 04:19 PM   #5
Zelands

Quote:
Originally Posted by komichal View Post
This might be as simple as the bad oil pressure sensor. I would probably start with that. But no guarantee this will solve it - at least you will eliminate one possible source of the problem and it is not expensive.
Hi. Thanks. By oil pressure sensor do you mean the oil pressure switch?? I could not find anything else.